Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Casper Gutman

I can understand that. But they've shown me they're going to do what they're going to do. I'm not going to fight against something that's already in the process of coming and opening next year. What's done is done. The mass public will eat it up and that's who they care about. Unfortunately they don't agree with how we view things. It's not as bad as you're making it out to be in your mind, but I do understand your concerns about it.

When I compare WDW today to WDW in, say, 1992... it's pretty dang bad.

And sure, this is coming no matter what. But the next TSL-type thing might not.

And I wouldn't be too sure about the GP eating it up. I think a lot of people will see the cheapness here, which is why its being snuck in under the cover of SWL. In any case the GP will keep on paying WDW's rising ticket rates right up until they don't. In the other thread, we're discussing the superhero movie genre, which seems pretty invincible right now, but will falter. Everything does. WDW will, too. I think it will come sooner then a lot of people (and I still think its a decade or two away), but it'll happen.

Kman101

Maybe. I don't think they'll view it as cheap though. The public eats up lackluster Mania. They'll enjoy this land. If we got the lame rides from the other Toy Story Lands I'd agree with you. It's not being 'snuck in'. IMO.

sunsetblvd26

I can understand that. But they've shown me they're going to do what they're going to do. I'm not going to fight against something that's already in the process of coming and opening next year. What's done is done. The mass public will eat it up and that's who they care about. Unfortunately they don't agree with how we view things. It's not as bad as you're making it out to be in your mind, but I do understand your concerns about it.
I agree. Sure, if I was in charge I probably wouldn't have taken this direction, but I still really am excited. There's just no point in getting all hot and bothered over it in my opinion, because at the end of the day, its happening. That is a fact. It's so much easier to be positive than negative (though I know that's a hard concept for some Disney fans ;)).

Rutt

I agree. Sure, if I was in charge I probably wouldn't have taken this direction, but I still really am excited. There's just no point in getting all hot and bothered over it in my opinion, because at the end of the day, its happening. That is a fact. It's so much easier to be positive than negative (though I know that's a hard concept for some Disney fans ;)).
I honestly don't see anything to be negative about here. Maybe thats just me. I probably WOULD have done the same thing. Fully immersive SWL and FUN and kinda tacky TSL.
We are getting SWL, Tron, GOTG, Rat, and just got Pandora as well. I am certain all will be incredibly themed. TSL may not be as immersive but it WILL be fun. I am certain that 90% or more will love the land and its contents and probably relate to it. I kind of think of it as a Springfield/Suess type area. Fun but not really super immersive. Not everything is going to be 100% immersive. No park in the world is going to do that. Not MK, not Epcot, not USO, not IoA. None of them are 100% immersive all the time.
Parks are businesses. They have always had budgets. Always will. For a supposedly 'cheap' company, I'm rather impressed at everything they have been and are doing.

And yes, I am super excited to go here with my kids next year.

Sorry thought I should add not an attack on you so please dont take it that way, just wondering why one feels the need to apologize for and excuse TSL.

No Name

I don't see Toy Story Land ever being bulldozed for more Star Wars. They have expansion space between TSL and SWL and between the Mickey ride and SWL. Plus, where would we enter TSMM from?

If anything, I could see Muppet Courtyard falling to more Star Wars. I can't see the same happening to TSL.

Casper Gutman

I have very real doubts that either TSL or the Mickey Ride in its 2019 form will exist by 2035. A Bugs Land lasted about 15 years - that seems the right ballpark.

Kman101

I think it's wishful thinking they bulldoze the land in the future but I think it's a good spot for something else in the future. How long it lasts, guess we'll have to see.

Casper Gutman

Crazy how this thread is about the construction and the debate is all the way now to 'when will it be demolished'. Like what?

Between the simple nature of TSL and the decision to focus the GMR replacement on a contemporary version of mickey that will become dated very quickly, the MGM expansion outside of SWL gives me the impression of a band-aid being applied by a management team which is, as we know, on the way out.

This doesn't necessarily mean the land WILL go away. Mickey's Birthday Land (I'd argue the closest WDW precedent for TSL in aesthetics) was distinctly temporary, and that's still with us in an altered form. My point is simply that the MGM makeover does not have the feel of a long-term solution.

Epcot82Guy

I think that's a very astute observation. That park and its management is a bit crazy at the moment. While it's not quite to the level of Dinoland, the similarities are pretty stark! With that, I also don't mind either theme. It's more a matter of HOW it was done. Dinoland is actually a lot of fun for the reasons identified. But, the joke/immersion simply didn't go far enough. There was so much more that could have been added to make it clear it's a land with a sense of humor (albeit tongue-in-cheek).

I'll wait to see TSL. But, with so many similar versions at other parks world-wide, it is feeling a little lack luster and budget cut at the moment.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Between the simple nature of TSL and the decision to focus the GMR replacement on a contemporary version of mickey that will become dated very quickly, the MGM expansion outside of SWL gives me the impression of a band-aid being applied by a management team which is, as we know, on the way out.

This doesn't necessarily mean the land WILL go away. Mickey's Birthday Land (I'd argue the closest WDW precedent for TSL in aesthetics) was distinctly temporary, and that's still with us in an altered form. My point is simply that the MGM makeover does not have the feel of a long-term solution.

Since the Mickey ride will be heavily projection based, it wouldn't be to hard to change the version of Mickey being used in the future.

Casper Gutman

Since the Mickey ride will be heavily projection based, it wouldn't be to hard to change the version of Mickey being used in the future.

Yup, this is why I added "as it exists in 2019" - I expect them to do this, and by 2035 we'll have other versions of the characters in there.

I'm not wild about a ride that is so screen heavy that this can be easily done, of course.

MagicHappens1971

It honestly baffles me that folks are OK with a bare coaster at WDW. Folks still pour hatred on the coaster in Dinoland, and that fits thematically. This is much worse.

It says something that, the week WDW completes its largest naked coaster yet, Uni announces its replacing one of its three with a more heavily-themed indoor coaster.
Considering the fact that the "theme" is Andys backyard, how is Andy building a full scale indoor roller coaster while he's outside? Although they cheaped out with this land, the concept is that andy built this rollercoaster, hence the toy like structure supports in the concept art, and the random toys laying all around on the floor of the rollercoaster.

Dan Deesnee

I guess maybe some people missed the latest D23 Toy Story Land art. The coaster, in it's bare form, doesn't fit the theme. However, the coaster is going to have what I can only call "toy elements" added to it's supports, etc. to make it look more like a "toy coaster set". This is not a guess on my part, it's IN the new art.

http://static.srcdn.com/wp-content/...Parks-Toy-Story-Land-Concept-Art-Cropped.jpeg

Notice the box and coaster pieces sitting inside it: "Dash & Dodge - Mega Coaster Kit". One of Andy's toys in his backyard (in this theme) is a kids roller coaster kit.

Now, yes, I get it, this is a clever way to get around having to make the coaster "not really a coaster cause it's a toy". But it is what it is, we haven't seen the final theme of this and maybe it WILL end up looking very toy-like in the end. Reserving judgement until, TSL is more than the dirt pit that it currently is...

Marc Davis Fan

I guess maybe some people missed the latest D23 Toy Story Land art. The coaster, in it's bare form, doesn't fit the theme. However, the coaster is going to have what I can only call "toy elements" added to it's supports, etc. to make it look more like a "toy coaster set".

The station (which is mainly what's shown in that concept art) will have the "toy roller coaster" theme. However, I am not sure how much of the structure of the coaster itself will, unfortunately.

It would be great if the track supports looked like they were snapped-together toy pieces, so that when you look at the coaster itself when first you first enter the land, you can tell that you're looking at a "toy coaster" and not just an unthemed/exposed ride.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will have those "toy" elements featured throughout...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom