Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

andysol

Why couldn't they have added, say, a Carousel to the land? Wasn't that one of the options for the land at one time or was that just a rumor? While I'm glad Slinky and AsSaucers aren't 3 and under specific I do think DHS needs a few other things for the smaller crowd to do. Not sure even a regular Pixar Place would have solved that problem though. Too bad they wasted Toy Story on a shooter ride when they had one already in Buzz. Toy Story could have been a great dark ride and filled a need that the park needed.

The park still needs more than the four rides they're getting.
A carousel would be a little tough based on the scaling/backstory. But parachute drop is 32"- I still think that was the best option and then find a way to avoid sightlines with either props or landscape.
The amount of characters they have at their disposal for that franchise gives endless possibilities.
Of course, in their eyes- the 3rd track of no height TSMM was part of the "expansion", im sure.

Kman101

A carousel would be a little tough based on the scaling/backstory. But parachute drop is 32"- I still think that was the best option and then find a way to avoid sightlines with either props or landscape.
The amount of characters they have at their disposal for that franchise gives endless possibilities.
Of course, in their eyes- the 3rd track of no height TSMM was part of the "expansion", im sure.

Yeah I guess that's true on the carousel. Not a ton of flat rides to me would be under 3 friendly anyway. The park needs more dark rides, like AK does (even though AK is a much more full park than DHS is)

I think they could have fit in Parachute Drop, but I guess sight lines were an issue? That would have been fun. There seems to be a Green Army men area in the coaster concept art, they could have put it there and could have incorporated RC Racer (I know it's low capacity and doesn't solve the under 3 issue) as well around the track (again I know sight lines but would they really tower that bad? I don't know how tall they are so I'm genuinely wondering). We at least should have had a ride in the originally planned Woody's Roundup area, a Bullseye attraction or something. A Woody's Roundup (like the western cartoon in the movies) theater too with puppets or something would have been nice too. The Suits seem to recognize the park needs more and there are so many things they could do. But budgets and WDI overspending and all that ... they should have gone all out with the DHS re-do. SWL is great but these two lands won't solve the parks issues.

NiarrNDisney

But parachute drop is 32"- I still think that was the best option and then find a way to avoid sightlines with either props or landscape.

The one plus I can see by bringing the Parachute ride or heaven forbid a ride like Jumping Jellyfish (DCA) is that it gives the little ones a ride kind of like Tower of Terror that they can experience without having the scare factor that ToT has as well as height restrictions.

PorterRedkey

And the peaks on Slinky look to be about 50' high. I would guess 35-40 mph.
I agree with your height estimate (based on the parking garage), but I think the fastest launch would be 30mph, but I am thinking more like 25mph considering the length of the track and Disney's desire to make this coaster available to smaller kids. IMHO.

Casper Gutman

I agree with your height estimate (based on the parking garage), but I think the fastest launch would be 30mph, but I am thinking more like 25mph considering the length of the track and Disney's desire to make this coaster available to smaller kids. IMHO.

You know what would have been cool and wouldn't have had any height restriction? A Country Bears style show with the Toys doing funny little acts.

And/or a dark ride.

Or anything, really... if you're trying to expand offerings for kids, I'm not sure why "roller coaster," however tame, is high on your list.

Sorry, just a bit exasperated with this project today.

ToTBellHop

Is that enough to ascend a 50' hill?

PorterRedkey

While I don't have the ride specs, I believe it will, but I haven't broken out the math to check. I think 25-30mph is a safe range. The really just need to get to the top of the hill. I am sure TDO wants the coaster to go as fast as it can while accommodating the smaller guest. At the 25-30 launch speed, riders shouldn't even feel 1g.

I know you have great inside information, so if I am completely off, please let me know. I am just going by the little information I have.

ToTBellHop

While I don't have the ride specs, I believe it will, but I haven't broken out the math to check. I think 25-30mph is a safe range. The really just need to get to the top of the hill. I am sure TDO wants the coaster to go as fast as it can while accommodating the smaller guest. At the 25-30 launch speed, riders shouldn't even feel 1g.

I know you have great inside information, so if I am completely off, please let me know. I am just going by the little information I have.
I don't know the specific speed. All of my knowledge here comes from being a Roller Coaster Tycoon pro lol. My concern is the 2nd launch. The first is uphill so you don't need too much speed to overcome the hill. The 2nd is flat and goes into a hill. It's also quite long. Based upon my limited knowledge of roller coaster mechanics, 25 mph doesn't seem adequate there. But I'm not a roller coaster engineer.

I would be SHOCKED to see a height requirement below 40" for a launching coaster. My personal view is that 42-44" is where they will land.

It looks like it has over-banked turns, which would make no sense at 25 mph.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9_40_19 AM.png

PorterRedkey

I don't know the specific speed. All of my knowledge here comes from being a Roller Coaster Tycoon pro lol. My concern is the 2nd launch. The first is uphill so you don't need too much speed to overcome the hill. The 2nd is flat and goes into a hill. It's also quite long. Based upon my limited knowledge of roller coaster mechanics, 25 mph doesn't seem adequate there. But I'm not a roller coaster engineer.

I would be SHOCKED to see a height requirement below 40" for a launching coaster. My personal view is that 42-44" is where they will land. It looks like it has over-banked turns, which would make no sense at 25 mph.
I don't think that section of track is up yet. Or if it is up, I have not seen any pics. So I am just going by the latest concept art. The second hill is in the back of the artwork, so it is really hard to determine the height. So, for now, I will stick with my 30mph max launch speed.
As for the overbank turns, they just give the coaster a smoother ride and a bit more excitement since you car is tilted sideways.

I want to be clear I am no coaster expert either, but I do know my way around Roller Coater Tycoon as well.:)

ToTBellHop

I don't think that section of track is up yet. Or if it is up, I have not seen any pics. So I am just going by the latest concept art. The second hill is in the back of the artwork, so it is really hard to determine the height. So, for now, I will stick with my 30mph max launch speed.
As for the overbank turns, they just give the coaster a smoother ride and a bit more excitement since you car is tilted sideways.

I want to be clear I am no coaster expert either, but I do know my way around Roller Coater Tycoon as well.:)
From a physics standpoint, if you went through an overbanked turn at 25 mph, wouldn't you feel like you are falling out? I can't imagine that would be comfortable or assist in the hope of a low height requirement.

I've never heard of a kiddie coaster with overbanked turns. I've also never heard of a launched kiddie coaster. But, I don't know every coaster. Maybe there's some Barnstormer that launches to 50 mph and has inversions in China with a 32" height requirement (I'm purposely being ridiculous here).

I think of the banking on Mine Train or Big Thunder or Barnstormer or Everest or Space Mountain. Nothing approaches that turn close to the mid-course brake run, which is at least 90 degrees if not slightly beyond vertical. Only RnRC pulls anything like that. And not at 25 mph.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Just thinking this through. I'm just not seeing it ending up at the same level as Mine Train and Kali (the 38-inchers).

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

The coaster will also pick up momentum from the first hill (which is lower than the launch point), so the speed could be higher that 25mph at the bottom of the first hill.

PorterRedkey

From a physics standpoint, if you went through an overbanked turn at 25 mph, wouldn't you feel like you are falling out? I can't imagine that would be comfortable or assist in the hope of a low height requirement.

I've never heard of a kiddie coaster with overbanked turns. I've also never heard of a launched kiddie coaster. But, I don't know every coaster. Maybe there's some Barnstormer that launches to 50 mph and has inversions in China with a 32" height requirement (I'm purposely being ridiculous here).
I am not sure where I said it was a kiddie coaster. It will be much more thrilling than Barnstormer. It's not even a close comparison. I think SDMT would be closer, but I think Slink Dog will be more thrilling than that. I just think considering the IP, and the lack of rides for all ages, that TDO wants this coaster to be a family-friendly coaster.

I would call Fire Chaser Express in Dollywood a family coaster and its top speed is 34 mph, and it goes backward. I think we are looking at the same type of thrill level here. IMHO

ToTBellHop

The coaster will also pick up momentum from the first hill (which is lower than the launch point), so the speed could be higher that 25mph at the bottom of the first hill.
For the record, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train apparently hits 34 mph. Its main drop is 41'. Barnstormer hits 25 mph with very small drops (total height is 30' but it obviously never drops nearly that far).

PorterRedkey

I think of the banking on Mine Train or Big Thunder or Barnstormer or Everest or Space Mountain. Nothing approaches that turn close to the mid-course brake run, which is at least 90 degrees if not slightly beyond vertical. Only RnRC pulls anything like that. And not at 25 mph.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Just thinking this through. I'm just not seeing it ending up at the same level as Mine Train and Kali (the 38-inchers).
For a physic standpoint, no matter how fast you are going you wouldn't feel like you are falling out, but I never said that you would feel like you were falling out. I said there was more excitement when the car is tilted. The g-force is distributed differently to your body.

PorterRedkey

For the record, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train apparently hits 34 mph. Its main drop is 41'. Barnstormer hits 25 mph with very small drops (total height is 30' but it obviously never drops nearly that far).
The top speed for Fire Chaser Express is 34mph, but the initial launch is 0-20mph in 2 secs. The height limit is 39". As I have said in previous posts, I don't think the launch speed will be the top speed.

Dan Deesnee

I think Kman101 hit the nail on the head when they said the park simply needs more than the four rides it is getting. Let's hope the shops and restaurants are immersive as well. These new lands could make the rest of Hollywood Studios feel pretty stale. I hope the Mickey dark ride delivers and they have more updates planned for the rest of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom