Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Daveeeeed

A lot of possible innovations have been discussed for Avatar land, but we will need to wait until it opens to see if they deliver on them.
That's the iffy thing. I'm confident that they'll do it, but there's always that little feeling deep down inside that they won't. Let's hope the latter is incorrect.

doctornick

So no meet and greets

There's almost certainly a Buzz Lightyear M&G shown on the concept art (a building with the "spaceship box" on it). Maybe the same building would also host Woody. If not, I would expect there to be a Woody M&G somewhere in or near TSL.

No Name

Avatar is worth every penny of that $1 billion. There's a ton of innovation in that land, which inflates the price tag.
A lot of possible innovations have been discussed for Avatar land, but we will need to wait until it opens to see if they deliver on them.

Innovation is one thing and I'm all for innovation. However, if the rides are (and land is) too short and/or underwhelming, then they probably shouldn't have spent so much money on innovation, and instead allocated that money toward more significant improvements for the rides.

For example, I'd rather an extra show scene (or even extra few animatronics) in SDMT than swinging cars.

I won't judge till it's complete but I am nervous that both rides look to be a bit too short. Great rides, but too short. Kind of like SDMT.

Well, to me it is. Disney may not think so, but when has Disney's opinion or bottom line mattered here anyway. Besides, how much did Cars Land cost?

A lot. And far too much of that money was wasted on the Luigi's flying tires. Wasted because 4 years later, that ride no longer exists (and they had to spend extra to change it). I liked the flying saucer's idea, if it was the price that an outdoor ride like that should be, and if it worked. For the cost that we've heard... absolutely not. A ride like that should not cost over a few million, ten million at the most.

I support innovation. But not when something more or better could've be done instead.

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

There's almost certainly a Buzz Lightyear M&G shown on the concept art (a building with the "spaceship box" on it). Maybe the same building would also host Woody. If not, I would expect there to be a Woody M&G somewhere in or near TSL.
I thought that would just be the entrance to the alien ride?

Stripes

Innovation is one thing and I'm all for innovation. However, if the rides are (and land is) too short and/or underwhelming, then they probably shouldn't have spent so much money on innovation, and instead allocated that money toward more significant improvements for the rides.

For example, I'd rather an extra show scene (or even extra few animatronics) in SDMT than swinging cars.

I won't judge till it's complete but I am nervous that both rides look to be a bit too short. Great rides, but too short. Kind of like SDMT.

A lot. And far too much of that money was wasted on the Luigi's flying tires. Wasted because 4 years later, that ride no longer exists (and they had to spend extra to change it). I liked the flying saucer's idea, if it was the price that an outdoor ride like that should be, and if it worked. For the cost that we've heard... absolutely not. A ride like that should not cost over a few million, ten million at the most.

I support innovation. But not when something more or better could've be done instead.
Well the land certainly won't be short, it's 12 acres, the very same size as Cars Land, except filled to the brim with new tech, unlike Cars Land, which was mostly recycled (though themed immaculately). My question now is that, since Avatar land and Cars Land are of the same scale, but the features and details of Avatar land (just the ones that have been announced already) have required a lot of R&D, why is it that people are getting fired from the Avatar project, yet Bob Weis (who I admire to the tenth degree), became President of WDI in part because of the successes of Cars Land (despite its own issues)?

Stripes

I take it you've never seen $1bn? Me neither.

I can imagine it should pay for more than 9 minutes of ride time.
You can blame "lands" for that. Then again, if the land itself is an attraction, as is commonly recited, you're getting a lot more than 9 minutes. And since when does ride time have anything to do with quality or cost, by that measure It's a Small World has to be one of the best and most costly attractions on Earth. Oh wait...

Last edited:

Rteetz

You can blame "lands" for that. Then again, if the land itself is an attraction, as is commonly recited, you're getting a lot more than 9 minutes. And since when does ride time have anything to do with quality or cost, by that measure It's a Small World has to be one of the best and most costly attractions on Earth. Oh wait...
I think you're missing the point. Disney inflates costs. Disney should be able to do everything they are doing with avatar for less than 1 billion but of course they aren't.

Daveeeeed

Now, can anybody tell me if AAs are still onboard for the Slinky Coaster?
There maybe some mechanical components like some non as objects that move (Ex. maybe a green army man that moves), and an aa in the queue, but being that it seems to be and is a cheap ride, and that is takes place outdoors I wouldn't think so. Though I never thought the original had plans for aa's outside or did it?

ToTBellHop

DAK needs more for guests to do. This will not be enough, even if it is visually spectacular. After guests visit the first time and are done oohing and aaahing at the vines and light-up floors, the park will still have not nearly enough to entertain guests until Rivers of Light. At $1bn, there should be at least one more E-ticket, or, better yet, a half dozen B- and C-tickets, which the park sorely lacks. Rides like PeopleMover do a wonderful job of filling up your day at the MK. They could have at least put in that Lion King ride sitting on a shelf.

G00fyDad

DAK needs more for guests to do. This will not be enough, even if it is visually spectacular. After guests visit the first time and are done oohing and aaahing at the vines and light-up floors, the park will still have not nearly enough to entertain guests until Rivers of Light. At $1bn, there should be at least one more E-ticket, or, better yet, a half dozen B- and C-tickets, which the park sorely lacks. Rides like PeopleMover do a wonderful job of filling up your day at the MK. They could have at least put in that Lion King ride sitting on a shelf.

I'd love a people-mover at AK! Actually, I would prefer to have an attraction more in line with the TTA. Just set it up to be in theme with AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom