Toy Story Hotel Planned to replace Paradise Pier Hotel?

Californian Elitist

So, a piece of pre-pandemic concept art surfaces, and suddenly everyone hates all things Toy Story. Honestly, this site never ceases to amuse me.
8FD46982-DB95-447C-BC0E-2DA366490E97.gif

No one said they hate all things Toy Story.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Toy Story is overplayed just like Frozen, BatB, the Little Mermaid, The Lion King and every stinking Princess.

When are we getting a Turning Red ride? Yikes!

I think Turning Red has the most narrow target demo in the history of Disney/ Pixar movies

denyuntilcaught

Toy Story is overplayed just like Frozen, BatB, the Little Mermaid, The Lion King and every stinking Princess.
I'd actually argue this point, unsurprisingly. I don't care to go into quantifying presence of each, but when we take a look across the Parks globally I think Toy Story is especially aggressive even compared to Frozen.

No one is parking in the Anna lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Every Pixar movie since the pandemic has went straight to Disney+, this is nothing new.

But the pandemic movie theater closures are over. And kids/teens movies that do go to the movie theaters in the past few months are killing it at the box office.

Spiderman = $1.8 Billion (with a B)
The Batman = $500 Million (in only first 10 days)

If they wanted to release Turning Red in theaters, they could have.

No Name

But the pandemic movie theater closures are over. And kids/teens movies that do go to the movie theaters in the past few months are killing it at the box office.

Spiderman = $1.8 Billion (with a B)
The Batman = $500 Million (in only first 10 days)

If they wanted to release Turning Red in theaters, they could have.
Those two are specifically superhero movies (very different audience), and no other genre has performed nearly as well. Encanto, which has been absolutely huge on Disney+, didn’t do that well in theaters.

Last edited:

TP2000

I think it's premature to declare the covid effect on movie theaters over until we see evidence of a non-superhero movie hit.

So far as I can tell, nothing that isn't a superhero movie has done all that well.

To be fair, plenty of other movies have been released in 3,500 to 4,300 individual American theaters on their opening weekends in the last few months.

But many of them were just... financially* bad movies. West Side Story, Death On The Nile, etc.

I'm sure the team behind West Side Story, which lost at least $150 Million for the Walt Disney Company, would love to blame Covid for their bomb. And they tried to do that every chance they could get. But at some point, you just have to admit that free consumers spending their own money simply won't spend it on bad movies.

Spiderman set all-time box office records over the last 90 days. It earned almost $2 Billion worldwide. If a movie is good, even the Covidphobic folks will mask up and go see a good movie.

*EDIT: I added the word "financially" in front of the word bad, to avoid confusion that I was trying to become Gene Siskel and discussing the artistic merits of the movies. I was, and still am, talking about box office results. American audiences have been voting with their wallets on many movies for the past few months. Some are all-time record setting money makers, and some are box office bombs that are costing their studios hundreds of millions of dollars in lost profit.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

To be fair, plenty of other movies have been released in 3,500 to 4,300 individual American theaters on their opening weekends in the last few months.

But most of them were just... bad movies. West Side Story, Death On The Nile, etc.

I'm sure the team behind West Side Story, which lost at least $150 Million for the Walt Disney Company, would love to blame Covid for their bomb. And they tried to do that every chance they could get. But at some point, you just have to admit that free consumers spending their own money simply won't spend it on bad movies.

Spiderman set all-time box office records over the last 90 days. It earned almost $2 Billion worldwide. If a movie is good, even the Covidphobic folks will mask up and go see a good movie.
So are you saying that the only good movies were superhero movies? Because that's what you seem to be implying.

I heard plenty of positive reactions about West Side Story and, say, Encanto from those who say them. Box office is not and has never been an indication of quality. And this isn't just a Disney phenomenon-it seems to be affecting everyone.

Saying that every non-superhero movie must have been bad and that's why they failed is a massive stretch.

No Name

But many of them were just... bad movies. West Side Story, Death On The Nile, etc.

West Side Story has very high critic and audience reviews, there’s no evidence people think it’s a bad movie. But hey, continue trying to spin your narrative.

TP2000

So are you saying that the only good movies were superhero movies? Because that's what you seem to be implying.

I heard plenty of positive reactions about West Side Story and, say, Encanto from those who say them. Box office is not and has never been an indication of quality. And this isn't just a Disney phenomenon-it seems to be affecting everyone.

Saying that every non-superhero movie must have been bad and that's why they failed is a massive stretch.

The problem with saying "box office is not an indication of quality" is that it's technically true. But movie studios exist to make a profit, not to lose money with good movies no one actually cares about or buys.

But I'm just talking about the last 90 days, since movie going returned to pretty much normal for the vast majority of Americans around Christmastime. But studios who release bad films who fail to sell tickets are still able to half-seriously trot out "Well, people are afraid to leave their house because of Covid" excuse. Although I think that excuse finally ended as something you could say straight-faced about two weeks ago.

West Side Story is going into the history books with Ishtar and John Carter as one of the biggest flops of all time. It cost the Walt Disney Company dearly. They spent about $200 Million on it for budget and marketing, but globally it only raked in $73 Million. Of that global total, only $38 Million of that came from American ticket sales. Ouch!

I saw Death On The Nile last month. It wasn't good. I love Agatha Christie movies and books. This remake was just really bad, and oddly smutty, and needlessly gory. Agatha Christie would blanche. So did I. But at least they got my money from a real theater seat.

TP2000

West Side Story has very high critic and audience reviews, there’s no evidence people think it’s a bad movie. But hey, continue trying to spin your narrative.

I didn't see it, so I don't actually know if it's a good movie. But it was a disaster at the box office. Like Ishtar bad.

Bad. Really bad. Disney's team that spent around $200 million to produce it and market it globally didn't want it to bomb. But it did. I'm not debating it's artistic merits. I'm just stating the facts on how it did at the box office. And it did really, really bad. That's simply a fact, not a subjective opinion on its artistic merits.

Also bombing was Death On The Nile. I wish that would have done well, to re-ignite an interest in Agatha Christie's wonderful stories and characters, particularly Hercule Poirot. But I also wish that they wouldn't have turned glamorous 1930's dance clubs into smutty Dirty Dancing Contests worthy of Daytona Beach during spring break circa 2022, or made painfully trashy male anatomy jokes with Egyptian cultural references. Ms. Christie would be furious.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I didn't see it, so I don't actually know if it's a good movie. But it was a disaster at the box office. Like Ishtar bad.

Bad. Really bad. The team that released it and spent around $200 million to produce it and market it globally didn't want it to bomb. But it did. I'm not debating it's artistic merits. I'm just stating the facts on how it did at the box office. And it did really, really bad. That's simply a fact, not a subjective opinion on its artistic merits.

So where are these good movies that aren't superhero movies that you claim exist but can't substantiate?

Remember that they MUST have made high box office grosses to be proven good movies according to your own criteria.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom