Toy Story Hotel Planned to replace Paradise Pier Hotel?

ParkPeeker

Makes sense considering the state of PPH right now, but I'm getting really tired of this IP in the parks. I could care less about this hotel, but it probably means we're getting another substandard Toy Story Land if the Disneyland Forever project ever comes to fruition. yaaaaaay
Same. The article brought up the Disneyland forward project, and said that one of the new lands could be another toy story land. If it does happen it’s probably going to be heavily recycled from the other versions, which sucks 😐

DavidDL

So DCA would have a Toy Story land in addition to Pixar Pier? That just doesn’t sound right

I mean, they already have a Carsland right next door, a Monsters Inc. ride a couple lands away and the Wilderness Explorers at Redwood Creek. It's not like they've proven that they care, historically.

Regarding the potential hotel; eh. I mean, it's not like I can argue it wouldn't make sense next to Pixar Pier as far as "hotels intruding visually on nearby lands" is concerned. I just wish it looked nicer in the concept art because I don't see much to get excited about. The atrium art in particular looks especially bad with so many colorful, well known characters essentially plopped into what appears to be some sort of prison-grey structure.

Like, it's sort of giving me "Mickey and Friends parking structure" vibes. A big, ugly grey/concrete building with a few colorful signs/fiberglass figures slapped on top to vaguely remind the Guest that they're at Disney. But while I can sort of look past the parking structure issues (after all, it's more about function than designing a space where folks will be staying for an extended period), I couldn't say the same for this. If they are going to do this at some point, they should go all out. Because the artwork I've seen so far just doesn't look very good. It looks like a cheap/temporary overlay in many areas and it doesn't make me want to stay there/check it out. -and I do love me some Toy Story.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I mean, they already have a Carsland right next door, a Monsters Inc. ride a couple lands away and the Wilderness Explorers at Redwood Creek. It's not like they've proven that they care, historically.

Regarding the potential hotel; eh. I mean, it's not like I can argue it wouldn't make sense next to Pixar Pier as far as "hotels intruding visually on nearby lands" is concerned. I just wish it looked nicer in the concept art because I don't see much to get excited about. The atrium art in particular looks especially bad with so many colorful, well known characters essentially plopped into what appears to be some sort of prison-grey structure.

Like, it's sort of giving me "Mickey and Friends parking structure" vibes. A big, ugly grey/concrete building with a few colorful signs/fiberglass figures slapped on top to vaguely remind the Guest that they're at Disney. But while I can sort of look past the parking structure issues (after all, it's more about function than designing a space where folks will be staying for an extended period), I couldn't say the same for this. If they are going to do this at some point, they should go all out. Because the artwork I've seen so far just doesn't look very good. It looks like a cheap/temporary overlay in many areas and it doesn't make me want to stay there/check it out. -and I do love me some Toy Story.

Yeah I’m just not a fan of this concept or concept art at all.

I’m aware that their are other Pixar based lands and attractions in the park but they re not the same thing. Toy Story Land and Pixar Pier are way too similar in that they are both Pixar based lands full of flat rides and fiberglass statues. Not to mention that Toy Story Lands anchor attraction is located in Pixar Pier. Just seems redundant. It would be huge waste of real estate.

Cars Land is a whole different type of experience. Monsters is a dark ride in a building in the backlot that was shoehorned in to help a failing park.

Last edited:

ParkPeeker

I’m aware that their are other Pixar based lands and attractions in the park but they re not the same thing. Toy Story Land and Pixar Pier are way too similar in that they are both Pixar based lands full of flat rides and fiberglass statues. Not to mention that Toy Story Lands anchor attraction is located in Pixar Pier. Just seems redundant. It would be huge waste of real estate.

Cars Land is a whole different type of experience. Monsters is a dark ride in a building in the backlot that was shoehorned in to help a failing park.
It’s still possible, Pixar pier no matter what types of rides it has, is pier themed. Toy story land is more akin to bugs land. Also they could easily just give us the Paris or Hong Kong or Shanghai version, or a mix of them, non of which have tsm. Also, Star Wars land exists even though Star Tours exists.

TP2000

This pretty much sums up my experience with customer service these days. Not just at Disneyland but almost everyone that’s not working for a tip. It just feels rare to get a smile, see some fake enthusiasm or get greeted without being the one to greet first.

I recently had an interaction at a South Coast Plaza men's shop that had me chuckling for the rest of the day.

I stepped up to the counter to inquire about a shirt, and the salesgirl who was already radiating sullen vibes from across the store just stood there and stared at me from behind her counter. I put a pleasant expression on my face and made eye contact, and met her blank stare. After an incredibly awkward silence for what seemed like an eternity (but was probably only 5 or 10 seconds), I finally cracked. I smiled, and said crisply "Do you want to start this customer interaction, or should I start it for you?" And it startled her a bit and she muttered.. "how can I help you?" and we were off and running! 🤣

The level to which many American customer service employees are allowed to sink is terrifying to watch, but sometimes it can be just darn entertaining. If not still depressing.

Luckily, every few years I visit Japan and it restores my faith in the human race.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I agree with you. A lot of Pixar Pier is Toy Story-themed. Half of the rides are themed to Toy Story, there’s a Toy Story meet-and-greet, and a Toy Story eatery. To have an entire land with more Toy Story is both redundant and too much.

No, thank you.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s still possible, Pixar pier no matter what types of rides it has, is pier themed. Toy story land is more akin to bugs land. Also they could easily just give us the Paris or Hong Kong or Shanghai version, or a mix of them, non of which have tsm. Also, Star Wars land exists even though Star Tours exists.

Of course it could happen but it would be so redundant and a huge waste of valuable real estate. I’d like to believe that they would come to the same conclusion but cloning a Toy Story Land might be too juicy for them to pass up.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I agree with you. A lot of Pixar Pier is Toy Story-themed. Half of the rides are themed to Toy Story, there’s a Toy Story meet-and-greet, and a Toy Story eatery. To have an entire land with more Toy Story is both redundant and too much.

No, thank you.

Yeah this is much different than having Cars Land and Pixar Pier in the same park or Star Tours and Galaxies Edge.

ParkPeeker

Of course it could happen but it would be so redundant and a huge waste of valuable real estate. I’d like to believe that they would come to the same conclusion but cloning a Toy Story Land might be too juicy for them to pass up.
Lol exactly. Also I never said I wanted it, I said it would suck. I just mentioned what the article this thread is about points out, and believe it’s a possibility, tragically.

TP2000

I think they would have been better off making this a mid century modern boutique hotel lightly themed to the Incredibles. I’ve never set foot in there but it doesn’t seem to have a very large footprint. Since it can’t be some sprawling Polynesian themed hotel I’d say they should have focused on making it quaint and charming. It would also still make sense next to Pixar Pier.

That is a much better idea that slapping more Toy Story fiberglass statues all over the place! They'd just have to strip off all the Seaside Whimsy! goo-gaws from the rooflines, get a much cooler paint scheme going, and sleeken the existing bones of the structure and it's footprint inside and out.

Disneys-Paradise-Pier-Hotel-56a387ad5f9b58b7d0d2740a.jpg

It wouldn't take much to turn the exterior into something sleeker and cool looking. Play up the glass elevator! And the interiors can be dressed up as Mid Century Mod fairly easily. Far more unique than 1990's Toy Story Offering #483.

Figments Friend

Another valid point that hasn't been noted is that 'Toy Story' is pushed heavily because it SELLS TOYS.
The ultimate 'synergy' wet dream.
A retail sales marketing dream property.
All the major characters are literally 'toys' that can be mass merchandised.
This also has a big part to play ( no pun intended ) as to why this IP is excessively used.

As the serious space exploration film once stated back in 1986 -
"Merchandising! Merchandising! It's where the REAL money from the ( Theme Parks ) is made!"

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom