Toy Story Hotel Planned to replace Paradise Pier Hotel?

TP2000

So, this was a proposed basic replacement of lobby props, decor, and wall coverings. With painting the bland, circa 2000 beige walls a new bland, circa 2020 shade of grey. You can tell in the pre-pandemic "concept art" it's just a redecoration of the existing 1986 spaces.

This circa 2020 "whimsy"...

Becomes this circa 2020 "whimsy"...

DLR-Toy-Story-Hotel-concept-art-2-1680860-1200x693.jpg

(I'm loving the pedestrian clip art they're using. Look at that couple inspecting that hiking trail map to Yosemite National Park!)

One thing I noticed is that the lobby bar in the left background has been replaced with another store.

And I'm okay with that, as that Sand Dollar Lounge or whatever it was called has consistently been one of the worst hotel bars in Anaheim. Usually it was staffed by a lone and oddly grumpy woman with noticeable tenure who might begrudgingly pop the top off of a $10 bottle of Michelob for you, so long as you waited quietly for her to approach you and she liked your tone. :rolleyes:

I remember the last time I plopped there in that bar waiting for some family members about five years ago, the big TV in the middle of the lounge was playing a PG-13 rated movie from some cable channel. It had an inappropriately passionate sex scene, and some salty language blaring. With some kids running around the bar unattended. And the sole grumpy CM barmaid hiding in the most obscure corner she could find by the ice machine, playing with her phone.
Magical! Immersive! World Class! 😑

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Toy Story IP burnout? Is this all they can come up with? Yikes.
They have definitely soured me on the franchise in general because of how badly (and how consistently) they push it into the parks.

What they really need to do is bulldoze the hotel and start over from the ground up. Of course, that won't happen because of that lease they apparently can't worm out of, but I can dream.

In case anyone hasn't seen the Toy Story Hotel in Tokyo, here it is. It looks more like Super Mario Bros. from 1985 than anything out of Toy Story to me, but maybe the only thing Bob knows about Toy Story is that it prints money:
1647305014123.png
1647305043496.png

TP2000

Here's the current, and rather sad, check-in desk. You can tell they kept the circa 1986 floor and ceiling and added circa 2000 "Seaside Whimsy!" awnings and one (1) framed photo of Paradise Pier.

front-desk-v18592501.jpg

Here's what it becomes. A plus to be sure, but it's not hard to plus up that rather sad scene shown above. And again, with the hysterical people clip art! It appears they took two low res photos of employees from the Shanghai Airport Sheraton and plopped them in behind the front desks. 🤣 The Rubik's Cube desk is cool though.

But don't even get me started on that Kelly green camo gaucho-dress-blouse onesie the brunette lady with wash-n-go hair and a 4th graders backpack is wearing.

DLR-Toy-Story-Hotel-concept-art-3-5866464-1200x693.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Usually it was staffed by a lone and oddly grumpy woman with noticeable tenure who might begrudgingly pop the top off of a $10 bottle of Michelob for you, so long as you waited quietly for her to approach you and she liked your tone. :rolleyes:

This pretty much sums up my experience with customer service these days. Not just at Disneyland but almost everyone that’s not working for a tip. It just feels rare to get a smile, see some fake enthusiasm or get greeted without being the one to greet first.

el_super

Toy Story in the parks is like cigarettes for Disney, if they don’t keep adding more they start having withdrawal symptoms. In 20 years they built 20 Toy Story rides. But it’s been almost 4 years since the last project opened so Bob is probably shaking in a corner.

Disney doesn't seem to be the only only afflicted with this addiction. People keep lining up for Toy Story properties all over the world.

el_super

I mean, 90 mins for Slinky Dog Coaster is kind of proving that they will.

Yeah and it's left to the jury to decide how much of that is Toy Story versus just being a coaster.

On the other hand, if theme really didn't matter they could just leaves PPH as-is and keep raking in the money. That hotel is rarely under 80% capacity.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think they would have been better off making this a mid century modern boutique hotel lightly themed to the Incredibles. I’ve never set foot in there but it doesn’t seem to have a very large footprint. Since it can’t be some sprawling Polynesian themed hotel I’d say they should have focused on making it quaint and charming. It would also still make sense next to Pixar Pier.

No Name

Disney doesn't seem to be the only only afflicted with this addiction. People keep lining up for Toy Story properties all over the world.
I know a lot of people who say Midway Mania is their favorite ride ever, who like Toy Story Land in Orlando better than Galaxy’s edge, etc. Yeah there is clearly demand but it’s unfortunate they keep building cheap flat rides (and cheap hotels). Regional amusement parks have kiddie sections, I’m not sure Disney parks need to.

el_super

I know a lot of people who say Midway Mania is their favorite ride ever, who like Toy Story Land in Orlando better than Galaxy’s edge, etc. Yeah there is clearly demand but it’s unfortunate they keep building cheap flat rides (and cheap hotels). Regional amusement parks have kiddie sections, I’m not sure Disney parks need to.

There needs to be some benefit to both the potential customers and Disney that is going way beyond even just the quality of the output. Something is making Disney (and even OLC) choose Toy Story as a theme, above any other potential themes/IPs that get used.

For something like PPH, the amount of money being spent to refurbish it (although honestly I don't know if it's just Toy Story or overall Pixar still), could easily be used to theme it to Star Wars or Marvel (ala Paris) or even something newer like Encanto. But they didn't...

They choose Toy Story because it still resonates with the audience.
They choose Toy Story because it makes a connection to the audience that another property can't.
They choose Toy Story because people browsing through ads/marketing material will see Buzz and Woody and instantly make that familiar connection to what this property means and the emotions that it conveys.

It's the same reason there is a Toy Story lot and Toy Story buses with Buzz Lightyear pictured on them. And why "You've got a Friend like Me" plays in the esplanade. People love Toy Story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom