Toy Story 4 SPOILER Discussion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
TS4 in comparison to its prequels and the rest of Pixar...

TS4 won't finish debuting internationally until near the end of August.

KBLovedDisney

Saw it yesterday. Definitely teared up at the end. You can also feel that the movie was geared toward the generation that grew up with the Toy Story movies.

DH says that was a gut punch of a movie. It was good but boy it was hard to watch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

While there are no records domestically, unless you want to count 3rd highest opening weekend this year, but hey, it wasn't #1 and that's all that counts, which is why for all the numerounoistas out there, TS4 did come in as #1 for global animated opening weekend of all time.

Tony Perkis

3. Also, and please do not hate me on this, but while I love me some strong women and female empowerment, I hate when it is at the expense of men or even male characters in a movie. Especially ones seen by little kids. Watch the movie again- how many times does Woody save Bo Peep? None. She helps him when he is falling, she saves his from the dolls at the end, she helps him on to high shelves, she comes up with the plan and even ridicules Woody's plan with Duke Kaboom. Who saves the day in the RV? Jessie with the nail in the tire. And at the end, who becomes sherriff- Jessie?

What does Woody do besides follow Bo Peep around? One scene she even yells at him "I am in charge- you follow me!" What does Buzz do, besides run around like an idiot, doubting his abilities as he listens to his "inner voice".

It just seems like another movie that says "girls are smarter and better than boys so they have all the good ideas". And yes, I realize people are trying to right the wrong of centuries of male empowerment, but if we are to advance as a society, let's boost up women for their strength and intelligence while also accepting the strength and intelligence of men too. It does not, and should not be, either/or.

Rant over...

I didn’t think much of the movie, but this rant says far more about you than it does the decisions of the filmmakers. This is a profoundly bad take.

Tony Perkis

:rolleyes:Yeah, Ninja Bo Peep, truly what the world needs now . If she were a Jedi she'd learn the Force in twenty seconds flat because I AM WOMAN blah blah blah. 😴 Yep that was a turnoff to me right away, and the things I've heard about the film since has led me to cancel my plans to see it.

A friend of mine did, and is livid about the ending. Also said that overall it isn't much fun. So yeah, pass.

The film isn't underperforming as such, but its opening weekend is below even Disney's estimates, and it tends to be conservative - it figured $140 million, and the flick is coming in at $123 million. I'd bet a cookie that this is the last film in the franchise. So if Disney is concerned about aged IP and wants to replace it with new - well Toy Story is already old, so what's the logic in replacing Country Bears with it? Seems like a shallow-brained knee-jerk decision, but hey, this is Iger's company now...
You’ve complained about Jasmine as a strong female character in the Aladdin remake, Rey in Star Wars, and created a thread in the politics sub complaining about “woke” Dumbo because they got rid of the Jim Crow crows, and I can’t believe I actually had to type that last one out.

At some point, it’s clear you just don’t like females in leading roles overshadowing their male counterparts.

General Mayhem

You’ve complained about Jasmine as a strong female character in the Aladdin remake, Rey in Star Wars, and created a thread in the politics sub complaining about “woke” Dumbo because they got rid of the Jim Crow crows, and I can’t believe I actually had to type that last one out.

At some point, it’s clear you just don’t like females in leading roles overshadowing their male counterparts.
Listen all of those female characters are terrible. It has nothing to do with their gender, at some point you have to admit that they are more political pawns than characters. Also it's a difference of opinion, chill.

Tony Perkis

Listen all of those female characters are terrible. It has nothing to do with their gender, at some point you have to admit that they are more political pawns than characters. Also it's a difference of opinion, chill.
No. If the root of a criticism is that a female overshadowed a male character, then that should be called out. And it’s evident in this thread. Feel free to agree with those posters.

General Mayhem

No. If the root of a criticism is that a female overshadowed a male character, then that should be called out. And it’s evident in this thread. Feel free to agree with those posters.
I do agree with them, there are better ways to give female characters a spotlight without castrating the male characters. Well written female lead characters (which these are not) have been a thing for a long time dude, it's nothing revolutionary.

Tony Perkis

I do agree with them, there are better ways to give female characters a spotlight without castrating the male characters. Well written female lead characters (which these are not) have been a thing for a long time dude, it's nothing revolutionary.
In no way did any of the films I mentioned “castrate” the male characters. Woody not being the hero for once is not a downgrade to his character, very similar to how Furiosa in a Mad Max: Fury Road didn’t demean Max, despite her being the actual lead character.

The complaint is so very specifically having to call attention to women doing something better than their male counterpart, and whether you see it or not, if the complaint comes from that point of view initially, it’s clear where the viewers’ heads are at.

And it’s not complimentary.

You, and other posters, could have said that you didn’t like the way Woody was treated in the film or that Bo Peep didn’t have a solid character arc, and that would have sufficient. But you all specifically had to point out female saving a male, and that’s suspect.

Last edited:

General Mayhem

In no way did any of the films I mentioned “castrate” the male characters. Woody not being the hero for once is not a downgrade to his character, very similar to how Furiosa in a Mad Max: Fury Road didn’t demean Max, despite her being the actual lead character.

The complaint is so very specifically having to call attention to women doing something better than their male counterpart, and whether you see it or not, if the complaint comes from that point of view initially, it’s clear where the viewers’ heads are at.

And it’s not complimentary.
They have every right to be that way if they want to. As long as they live in America they have freedom of thought and speech. You are allowed to disagree with them all you like, but if they want to hold that opinion they can.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

They have every right to be that way if they want to. As long as they live in American they have freedom of thought and speech. You are allowed to disagree with them all you like, but if they want to hold that opinion they can.
Anybody has the right to any opinion. That’s the first amendment in action.

I will call it out if I think it’s dumb or there’s a clear idiotic motive, though.

General Mayhem

I’ve seen this sort of reaction from a few of these posters on multiple occasions. There’s a clear motivation in that viewpoint.
Woah woah woah, calm down there slugger. What possible motivation could there be? lol This is really dramatic for a conversation about a movie called "Toy Story 4". Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom