Toxic fandom ?

Dear Prudence

To be honest, I'm not sure a really noticed much of the change in PotC with the auction scene, so I kind of shrug off the outrage on that one.
The only aspect I don't appreciate about the change is the animatronic redheads face. It's so cheap looking. Her dialog is annoying. I am not against that change by any means (the goats with the jewelry make me laugh out loud), I just think it could have looked less...lousy.

Vegas Disney Fan

Re: Disney - I don't mind the idea of them being less offensive if they could come up with a replacement that was amusing. I haven't seen the new Jungle Cruise, but Pirates was definitely a swing and a miss.
I think the Jungle Cruise changes are better than what was there before… I still cringe at the Redhead scene though, it makes no sense… Pirates don’t go to auctions and ask for Rum, they take it. It’s the first line of the song…

“Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot”

I don’t see any mention of purchasing items at an auction. 😉

All kidding aside I think you hit on an important point though, make it better and most people will happily accept changes, make it worse and people won’t.

The Mom

Premium Member
Not a dislike.... that makes no statement at all. How about a inappropriate button.
Then people would use that emoji for anything with which they disagree, and I would get complaints from posters that someone was saying they posted an inappropriate statement when they did not.

I already get enough posters reporting posts just because they don't agree with what was posted. Although it has slowed recently.

G00fyDad

Interesting article

Welcome To The Internet GIF

Goofyernmost

Then people would use that emoji for anything with which they disagree, and I would get complaints from posters that someone was saying they posted an inappropriate statement when they did not.

I already get enough posters reporting posts just because they don't agree with what was posted. Although it has slowed recently.
Sure, now your making me be concerned about you!!! j/k ;) :D;) You are correct, it makes sense, so I guess we have to just accept that there is no real sure fire way to easily project intent or subtle mood in print communication. I guess where we are will have to work until people get their brain cells to kick in again.

FutureCEO

I don't know, Facebook is not exactly known for being the most civil place on the Internet.

Fixed your sentence. Why. I never really go on Reddit. I don't comment on anything on Facebook. Too many crazy people out there. I might remove it but you have long lost family that you never see on there.

The country and world is moving backwards.

Sir_Cliff

Fixed your sentence. Why. I never really go on Reddit. I don't comment on anything on Facebook. Too many crazy people out there. I might remove it but you have long lost family that you never see on there.

The country and world is moving backwards.
I barely use Facebook now and, living far from home, the only reason I keep it up is that it does provide some connection with friends and family far away.

Maybe it's because I don't interact with anything on there, but I have to admit that I don't see all the craziness everyone else seems to see. For me, Facebook is still people posting pictures of the kids, holidays, etc. Of course, it has also involved a lot of people getting vaccinated over the past few months and I can imagine an alternative world in which the reverse was populating my Facebook!

Vegas Disney Fan

I barely use Facebook now and, living far from home, the only reason I keep it up is that it does provide some connection with friends and family far away.

Maybe it's because I don't interact with anything on there, but I have to admit that I don't see all the craziness everyone else seems to see. For me, Facebook is still people posting pictures of the kids, holidays, etc. Of course, it has also involved a lot of people getting vaccinated over the past few months and I can imagine an alternative world in which the reverse was populating my Facebook!
I don’t understand the issue with Facebook either, 99% of my feed is family and friends sharing pictures and stories of their lives… something political occasionally sneaks in but if people or pages get too political I unfollow them, problem solved. I also limit Facebook to the few hundred people I actually care about, I’m not interested in trying to keep up with thousands of people.

It takes a little policing to keep Facebook civil but for me the pros far outweigh the cons. I have friends and family scattered all over the country, Facebook is a simple way to keep in touch with them.

Goofyernmost

I don’t understand the issue with Facebook either, 99% of my feed is family and friends sharing pictures and stories of their lives… something political occasionally sneaks in but if people or pages get too political I unfollow them, problem solved. I also limit Facebook to the few hundred people I actually care about, I’m not interested in trying to keep up with thousands of people.

It takes a little policing to keep Facebook civil but for me the pros far outweigh the cons. I have friends and family scattered all over the country, Facebook is a simple way to keep in touch with them.
I agree... my friend list is in the mid 30's, by choice. Just today someone answered an ad that I placed to give away some packing boxes from over a year and a half ago. The heading even said SOLD. I politely told her that it was an old ad and that they were gone. Next I received another reply asking if she could be my friend. I don't know her, why would she want to friend me. My superman type body flew back to Krypton on its own and my white beard tells the tale of age. I don't understand how anyone would want hundreds of friends. Does anyone need that much attention? Mine consist of only relatives, friends, close and distant. No more, no less unless they post something that is massively against my beliefs then I don't say anything but I have been known to unfriend even those few.

Dear Prudence

I remove and block people from social media who post nonsense, so all I see are pictures of pets and families, and that's fine by me. It's not that I want to live in a bubble, that's not it at all. I am just literally bombarded r@cism in the news and my real life, I don't want to deal with it on social media. For me, it's not about creating an echo chamber, it's about peace of mind.

erasure fan1

Fandom has always been problematic. I can remember arguing with my friends at the lunch table about what was better, sega or Nintendo. The difference now is at some point, people lost the ability to have a civil discussion and not take everything as a personal attack. We would argue, then go play kickall and no one cared what side of the fence you were on. Now way too many people make it their mission to change everyones mind to what they think is right. Social media, the mainstream media haven't helped either.

Raineman

It has always amazed me how so much toxicity can build up in the fanbase of a theme park-a place dedicated to fun, enjoyment, and getting away from the rest of the world. I can understand the vitriol online if we are talking about politics, religion, current events, etc. But a theme park? I don't get it. I've been disappointed by things Disney has/hasn't done, but I've never gotten nasty about it.
Also, on the subject of social media feeding into toxicity, I find that staying away from news sites/groups and their comments, goes a long way towards staying away from that and not drowning in negativity.

Mstr Gra-c

With Disney it is a link to the emotion of our youth, or the youth of our children. At least for a lot of us. We hate to see change because its a reminder of our own youth fading away. And if there is change, it must be change WE approve. Because, subconsciously we feel it gives us some power over the inevitable. The fact remains however, that we have very little control, especially if we continue to fill the coffers. Because Disney will do what they see best, especially if it's profitable.
The bad part is when people start to lash out at those that are deemed to be supporting the change, supporting the big multinational corporation that is thought to be somehow abusing the fanbase or abusing a legacy, or abusing the history of this or that... When in fact finding a way to appreciate the changes, or even deciding not to go is just someone trying to find a healthier, more realistic way to deal with the pain that comes from the change. Instead of drowning in negativity like so many others do.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom