Tower of Terror Rose Parade Float Controversy

tztowerofterror

Originally posted by crazygirley
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. These people who are complaining about the coincidence need to remember the fact that the Tower of Terror was the Tower of Terror a long, long 7 years before any of this Ground Zero, World Trade Center, Twin Tower, September 11th stuff. It was terrible in 2001, yes...but the Disney Company's ToT came first! I see no problem with it. Some people need to get a life.

I agree with you totally!!!

tztowerofterror

You're quite welcome! All of this nonsense is just driving me crazy!! This is the only thing that can express my feelings on this subject...fjkaldsjroipqwiiijfjjjjj. There. Now it's out of my system. :lol:

crazygirley

Originally posted by tztowerofterror
You're quite welcome! All of this nonsense is just driving me crazy!! This is the only thing that can express my feelings on this subject...fjkaldsjroipqwiiijfjjjjj. There. Now it's out of my system. :lol:
Yeah...People find the weirdest things to corcern themselves with, and why do they feel the need to go and bother the ToT like that? What did it ever do to them? How dare they suggest that they change the name? And why, might I ask? I just don't see the logistics in these un-educated-when-it-comes-to-dates-things-were-built-people and their stupid suggestions...there, now I got it off my system, too!:D

General Grizz

They don't care when it was built. That's not the issue. They just don't want to see a float about a "fun kind" of terrorism on a New Year's Day parade no matter how fun ToT will be.

Let's all relax. Take a deep breath. :lookaroun

andre85

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
They don't care when it was built. That's not the issue. They just don't want to see a float about a "fun kind" of terrorism on a New Year's Day parade no matter how fun ToT will be.

A "fun kind" of terrorism? Last I checked, they didn't have a miniature 767 crashing into the Hotel. The only similarity between the two is the name "Tower".

As for the vocal minority's reaction to this float? Buck up. It's been over two years; get over it and move on with your lives, and stop trying to make it worse for the rest of us who have moved on.

trendymagic

Originally posted by andre85
The only similarity between the two is the name "Tower".

And even that is not true. The name of the buildings was the World Trade Center. "Twin Towers" and the like are just nick names. Tower of Terror is the nick name for the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

That lady is a pain in the backside and I am glad Disney didn't change their plans because of her big mouth.

tztowerofterror

Originally posted by grizzlyhall

i'm sorry, i didn't realize that the supernatural (which is what caused the elevator to drop in tot) can cause terrorism. maybe i'm just not up to date with all the forms of terrorism out there. tot is a harmless ride about a fictional supernatural disaster and people who have a problem with it need to, like crazygirley said, get a life.

Testtrack321

Grizz, I think you are just jumping ontop of everthing recently. While the float wasn't as fluffy as say, a Nemo float, it's still a good float and it's cool.

There is not terrorism in, around, or because of ToT. It happened in 1939. It was lightning. It was ghosts. I mean, it's just a name. Thre are also two other Tower of Terrors in the world, different ride systems, but still the same name.

General Grizz

I don't think there's a problem with it being a Tower. THAT is far-fetched.

I am against a float being about "TERROR" in wake of our current national state. This is a Disney float on a rose parade.

Don't mean to strike too much discord - it's just the connotation.

And YES the float *IS* cool!!!! I just think that it's out of place with the rest.

Heyyall

I'm going to take Grizzlyhall's side here....he isn't saying the ride itself has anything to do with terrorism, he's saying that the float is out of place, and wasn't necessary at a time when we're at a very high terror threat, and only 2 years after 9/11 happened.

And don't jump all over this woman. You aren't in her place, and you don't know how she feels, and what reminds her 9/11.
I am not saying that I would have complained, or I even agree, but I don't agree that you should jump all over her, saying she has a "big mouth". No one is in her place, and 9/11 might not have had the same effect on you that it had on her. Once again, don't jump all over me, because I do not want to change the name or anything like that. But I do think that maybe they could have thought of a different float during this difficult time, and I do think that some people need to give this woman a break...something devastating happened..some don't get over it as easily as you might.

As for the vocal minority's reaction to this float? Buck up. It's been over two years; get over it and move on with your lives, and stop trying to make it worse for the rest of us who have moved on.

Andre85, don't tell anyone to "get over it, and move on with their lives" if they aren't ready to. It's one thing if you are over what happened, but ALOT of people are not. Do you realize how many loved ones were lost? It only happened two years ago, and many people can't forget that easily. It's good that you got over it easily, but not everyone can. Everytime I see the terror threat on the news, which is everyday, I think of 9/11, as do many people.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Heyyall
I'm going to take Grizzlyhall's side here....he isn't saying the ride itself has anything to do with terrorism, he's saying that the float is out of place, and wasn't necessary at a time when we're at a very high terror threat, and only 2 years after 9/11 happened.

Thanks. :wave: I believe the event should be filled with optimism for a safe new year -- not exclusively an advertisment.

By saying things like this are inappropriate you are conceding that the terrorists have won. They have acheived their goal. They have inspired terror in you and a vast majority of the American public and frankly I am sick of it.

BRER STITCH

Was the float even shown in the parade on TV?????

TiVO recorded the coverage shown on The Travel Channel and I swear the float wasn't even in their version!!!

We FFW'd through the entire 2 1/2 hours of it - TWICE - looking specifically to see the ToT float...and NOTHING!!! :cry:

Hopefully it made it into the regular network TV coverage!

:veryconfu

Sketch105

For victims of 9/11, I can see their point in finding offense..but that doesn't mean your SUBJECTIVE VIEW OF PARADE FLOATS should be pushed on other people.

You see a tower. I see a ride. Some other guy sees an blatant advertisement for disney. One person out of this group sees a connection with 9/11, and suddenly its on tv and radio and internet...

The victims of this tragedy need to cope with it themselves, and figure out that their subjective views of trivial things in their lives such as parade floats advertising thrill rides should not be pushed on the mainstream public.

As a part of the public, its sickening that every time a "NEWS Source" puts something down on paper, it becomes carved in stone. I don't listen to news, because they have made our nation into a terror alert, always alerting people to be afraid of things that MIGHT...that MIGHT happen.

"A LIFE LIVED IN FEAR IS A LIFE HALF LIVED"- BAZ LUHRMANN, Filmmaker of Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom..

Also, Some people are so oversensitive....I think the people who had NOTHING TO DO with 9/11 but worry about it need to move on with their lives.

I'm so sick of every little reference to a tower or airplanes or anything of that sort being censored, reviewed or destroyed because some minor group of people "find offensive" to it.

The media and the internet has created this sensationalized nation where every little thing that every little group of people that finds offense to something are allowed on television or radio. Yes, they should be allowed to express their opinions, but its not news!

Only in certain circumstances can this been seen as news, such as Peta's recent "your mom kills animals" campaign..But A PARADE FLOAT???? Come on!

Some people need to find themselves a hobby instead of searching for controversy in trivial things such as parades...

trendymagic

Originally posted by Heyyall
I do think that some people need to give this woman a break

No she needs to give many others out there a break. She needs to chill out. Because of her and her loud mouth there are many rescue teams that worked the WTC that are now non-existant, out of business. She has caused so much legal trouble for so many different groups, including those who tried their darndest to find her son and others that were missing, that they have gone bankrupt due to the overwhelming legal fees just to defend what they did: their job. She keeps attacking these groups, including ours, saying we were doing nothing to help and making her more of a victim. In the latest attack (which was the original subject of this thread) she attacked the ToT float/attraction.

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow
By saying things like this are inappropriate you are conceding that the terrorists have won. They have acheived their goal. They have inspired terror in you and a vast majority of the American public and frankly I am sick of it.

Very well put. Thank You.

There are many things myself that I can not stand to watch, hear or see related to the whole 9/11 thing. But at the same time I am not going to shut down the world and what everyone else enjoys because of it. This lady is trying to destroy the Disney magic that everyone here loves in some form.

lebernadin

We can't stop putting Tower of Terror floats in our parades because "that's what the terrorists want."

(heavy sarcasm intended)

Heyyall

Originally posted by trendymagic
No she needs to give many others out there a break. She needs to chill out. Because of her and her loud mouth there are many rescue teams that worked the WTC that are now non-existant, out of business. She has caused so much legal trouble for so many different groups, including those who tried their darndest to find her son and others that were missing, that they have gone bankrupt due to the overwhelming legal fees just to defend what they did: their job. She keeps attacking these groups, including ours, saying we were doing nothing to help and making her more of a victim. In the latest attack (which was the original subject of this thread) she attacked the ToT float/attraction.

I didn't know anything about her putting rescue teams out of business, and I didn't know about the trouble she is causing. If so, I see your point about the woman. Maybe she doesn't deserve a break.

Also, Some people are so oversensitive....I think the people who had NOTHING TO DO with 9/11 but worry about it need to move on with their lives.

In my opinion, everyone had something to do with 9/11. It wasn't something that just affected those lost or those who lost loved ones. It effected a country, not just a few people.

yes it was a very sad thing, but people need to get over it, time to move on, plus Tower of Terror was around for awhile before it happened

How could you say that people need to just "get over it". This was something that affected our ENTIRE country. Do you not watch the news? This isn't something you can just get over. We are at a high terror alert. This isn't something that happened 10 or 20 years ago. It happened 2 years ago. The event was something that most people never thought could happen here in America. So many people's lives were changed, and it's not something that can just be "gotten over".

I am not saying that I want the name to be changed or anything like that. I am not saying that I agree with this woman and the controversy she caused. I am not saying that the float bothers me, but it does bother some, especially those who lost. I do think that they could have picked a better float for this time.

And anyone who says that we should have gotten over it and moved on, I do not agree. No one has the right to tell anyone that they should be over this. Just because you have moved on, some people were obviously more effected than you were.

Heyyall

Originally posted by lebernadin
We can't stop putting Tower of Terror floats in our parades because "that's what the terrorists want."

(heavy sarcasm intended)

Just a little something I'd like to add as a compliment. I absolutely love your posts, lebernadin. Everytime I read one of yours, I always get a good laugh. Keep them coming.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom