Tower of Terror Rose Parade Float Controversy

all41

Original Poster
Saw this link on Drudge. Had a picture of Eisner putting roses on the float.

To quote Pirates of the Carribean movie, "You've no manner of luck whatever friend"

Story Link

General Grizz

They'll advertise in any square inch of possibility.

Personally, I don't know what ToT has to do with roses or Mickey Mouse.

Bad move, but does Disney care? They can't see past the fill of their pocket.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I see no wrong with the float, just because the word "tower" is in there doesn't mean all these people need to go nuts and be mad. If "tower" is hurting people, and they want to change the name, then other buildings, like the Sears Tower and others, need to have their names changed too. I mean, they want the ride name changed, why should it be? Just as the cheif operating officer of the Tournament of Roses said, it's just promoting an amusement park attraction based on the old Twilight Zone series. Do they want the name changed to The Twilight Zone: HOTEL of Terror? Just as spokesman Ruthie Flores said, people who are taking this seriously are "pushing it".

Rickinnyc

Speaking as a New York City resident and one who lost 9 friends in the 9/11 tragedy, I don't invalidate the feelings of those who feel the Tower of Terror moniker is disturbing. I do, however, strongly feel that it's time to try to heel and not time to dwell on loss.

The name should remain the same.

imagineer boy

I swear, people just get so offended these days!:mad: There should be no name change. Its only the TOWER of terror, not towers of terror. Bedides, its a hotel. If they change the name, what would it change to? The Building of Terror? The Condo of terror?

WDWspider

Originally posted by imagineer boy
I swear, people just get so offended these days!:mad: There should be no name change. Its only the TOWER of terror, not towers of terror. Bedides, its a hotel. If they change the name, what would it change to? The Building of Terror? The Condo of terror?

The terror-filled Tower

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Since when does ToT need to have anything to do with Mickey Mouse?

MouseRight

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
They'll advertise in any square inch of possibility.

Personally, I don't know what ToT has to do with roses or Mickey Mouse.

Bad move, but does Disney care? They can't see past the fill of their pocket.

Come on Grizzly, your anger and frustration with the current management of Disney is starting to get old. This ToT float is simply a chance to promote the new ride and let the world know that it is coming to DCA. The Rose Parade is, and has been, a vehicle for Companies to promote themselves for many years. Given the close proximity to Anaheim, it makes perfect sense for Disney to do so. I believe, Walt himself used it in the past to do just that. Let's remember the money you are so disgusted about are the seeds needed to rebuild the Disney company and dream. Without visistors in the parks spending moeny, there won't be any money to fulfill the hopes and dreams of you and Roy. To complain and suggest that the current managemnet is doing anything else but promote and draw insterest and visitors to DCA is ridiculous. By the way, these promotional techniques were created by Walt himself (e.g., Showing DL and WDW on the Wonderful World Of Disney on TV; DL was financed by a deal to bring DL and Disney to TV; world's first major mass merchandiser of themed memorabilia/toys in the 1930's, etc.).

Now back to the topic. While I understand that the victims of 9/11 may perceive this "Tower" thing in a negative light, it is what it is. I am truly sorry for their loss. This issue came up with last years Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers. It was released as is and became one of the top grossing movies of all time. With all due respect to those who are hurting - It's time to move on.

MouseRight

Here's one story that iI could find about Disney and the Rose Parade - 1959 Rose Parade and Zorro.

ZORRO'S RIDE IN ROSE BOWL PARADE SEEN BY FOURTEEN MILLION VIEWERS

Close to fourteen million American families watched Zorro atop his prancing, black stallion on live TV on New Year's Day. This was the largest, longest, and most colorful Tournament of Roses Parade in the sixty-nine year history of the event.

There were sixty-two floats, twenty-two bands and literally scores of equestrian units, but none was so universally known as Guy Williams attired as the dashing Zorro.

Lining the streets of Pasadena during the parade were an estimated million and a half spectators. With them, Zorro was clearly a smash. As they saw the black figured horseman approaching, they set up a din heard for miles.

Counting the many millions who saw the parade via delayed telecast, on news programs, in hometown newspaper picture spreads and through newsreels, the total estimated audience exceeded one hundred million persons of all ages.

The live broadcasts were carried border to border by ABC and NBC, and beyond by the Armed Forces Network. NBC beamed the parade in compatible color to most of its stations. (Many) spent long moments on the prancing masked man and pointed out his enormous popularity with the younger generation.

[paragraph deleted]

Many young spectators were dressed in Zorro suits themselves. Many gave and received in kind a warm and sincere wave from Zorro. Hundreds of thousands more were content to cheer enthusiastically.

Excellent crowd control kept Zorro's fans very orderly even when he was forced to hold the black horse just a few feet away from them.

It was not until Williams entered the final dispersal area that thirty youngsters broke ranks to surround him. They had obviously planned the autograph ambush long before."

imagineer boy

Originally posted by WDWspider
Since when does ToT need to have anything to do with Mickey Mouse?

Its just the main Disney float that's showcasing the new ride what kind of Disney float would be complete without Mickey Mouse?:D

ISTCrew20

Gosh...People will do anything to complain. This float, nor ride, nor park, has anything to do with the September 11th attacks. People just have to complain over everything I guess...

Like GRIZZ!:lol: ...Atleast Disneyland is getting a new ride, and hyping it up like one. This single ride could really turn the park around, like it did MGM. Of course, it doesnt have much to do with what the actual parade is about, but atleast they didnt cheap out on the billboard (I was thinking they were gonna take the big thing in the median of the road by MGM down here, and put wheels on it). I hope the ride does great, and still remains The Tower Of Terror...Lightning and an Earthquake...oo00oo:D

Lee

Adventurer
I love the float.
I've been pretty excited about it for a couple months now.

Mickey will be there, just not as the focus of the float.

OliveMcFly

The whole thing is a very touchy subject. You'll have ppl that are going to associate the 2 and ones who will not. I personally think it has nothing to do with 9/11. I don't think Disney would even think for 1 second of incorporating any kind of tragedy for exposure. And as it was said before, TOT is a hotel not an office space like WTC. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Does anyone have a pic of the float? I would like to see the outcome.

WDWspider

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Its just the main Disney float that's showcasing the new ride what kind of Disney float would be complete without Mickey Mouse?:D

Exactly. Not sure if I came across right or not in my other post, but I agree with you.

Basically they could have taken Small World, or Haunted Mansion, or even the Making of me:lookaroun and Mickey would be fine cause it's a Disney Attraction with a Disney Icon. I can't wait to see the float, I am making an effort to watch the parade just for the float.

Also, this is going in California Adventure ( a celebration of all things California ) so making a Rose Parade float (a long time tradition in California) seems appropriate to me.

WDWspider

Originally posted by Testtrack321
This is just stupid. Mabey we should change the name of the state of Arizona since sooooo many people died on the USS Arizona!

OMG... you are right!

Maybe the movie Titanic should be changed to Ship of Dreams.

You wait... someday there will be a movie on the Towers and no one will mind.

They are now going to call the ride....The Tall Building That We Hope Will Make Us Money Dont Forget To Buy That Picture Of You And Your Family Screaming At The Top At The Gift Shop On Your Way Out Some Nice T-shirts To Bring Back To Show Your Friends When You Return To Iowa Would Be Nice Also....or just

T.T.B.T.W.H.W.M.U.M.D.F.T.B.T.P.O.Y.A.Y.F.S.A.T.A.T.G.O.Y.W.O.S.N.T.TB.B.T.S.Y.F.W.Y.R.T.I.W.B.N.A for short

MouseRight

Originally posted by InsideOtherPark
They are now going to call the ride....The Tall Building That We Hope Will Make Us Money Dont Forget To Buy That Picture Of You And Your Family Screaming At The Top At The Gift Shop On Your Way Out Some Nice T-shirts To Bring Back To Show Your Friends When You Return To Iowa Would Be Nice Also....or just

T.T.B.T.W.H.W.M.U.M.D.F.T.B.T.P.O.Y.A.Y.F.S.A.T.A.T.G.O.Y.W.O.S.N.T.TB.B.T.S.Y.F.W.Y.R.T.I.W.B.N.A for short

:lol: :lol: Thanks.

polyman 65

Im so sick of people crying about the name (tower of terror)it was around before Sept 11th.Didnt hear anyone crying about lord of the rings twin towers?Odd name dont you think,anyway its a parade float who cares.As said before in a couple years there will be a movie about it and no one will care,just like Pearl harbor.

Heyyall

I agree that a change of the name is completely un-neccessary. But making a joke out of this is a little much....some people were REALLY affected by this, and being someone that lives in New York, I can see why it bothered them....a little much, but it's how they feel. It brought back bad memories...I agree that they don't need a name change, and I'm sorry if I seem rude, but it was a very painful time, and for some people, this brought back bad memories.
Happy New Year to all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom