Tower of Terror question

sbkline

Original Poster
I notice that on the "Step by Step" and "Family Matters" WDW episodes (which both seem to have the same ToT CM, by the way), the CM was "in character" so to speak...acting spooky and everything. But I've never seen the CM's act that way when I've personally rode (or is it "ridden" :confused: ) ToT. My question is, did the ToT CM's ever act like that for real, or did they only act like that in front of the camera for the episodes that I am speaking of? And if they used to act that way, but don't anymore, then why?

I also remember another ToT CM acting like that in one of the Disney shows on the Travel Channel, I believe.

lilclerk

In WDW, my bellhop was acting spooky and sort of amused that we were actually getting on this haunted elevator.
In DL, my bellhop rushed us in and out and wasn't in any sort of character other than standard Disney-happy/stressed.

But this is something I noticed all through Disneyland.

sbkline

Original Poster
The CM's I've always had for ToT were just the usual friendly CMs like you would find on any ride...and giving the usual safety spiels and all. But I don't recall any of them ever acting spooky or anything.

Tom Morrow

It depends on what CMs are there.

Sometimes I act creepy, other times sarcastic and funny... but I am usually in character for the inside positions. Its really hard to do it outside with all the crazy questions you get from guests, especially since outside, they just want you to be a regular helpful Disney CM.

Playing a character/acting creepy is not required to work at TOT... though I often wish there was more emphasis on it. We have some great bellhops though... and some... not so great ones.

Mickey&Minnie

I have both...I guess it depends on how long the bellhop has been there for the day, b/c he may begin to lose character if he is tired and it is late. I love the scary bellhops though. I have had them scare me to death when they open the doors at the end of the ride. one particular time, he was standing just outside of the doors and when the doors opened he jumped in and yelled "BOO!" :eek: I screamed like a baby. It was fun!!

sbkline

Original Poster
On a somewhat related note, I am just curious...have any of you ToT CM's ever worked with the one who was in the Disney episodes of the two shows I named?

I realize those were filmed back in 1992 or so, so I would guess probably not. But I didn't know how long people tend to work in one spot down there, although I would find it hard to believe that a CM would work the same ride for 15 years. But depending on how old you guys are and how long you've worked there and how long he worked there after those episodes, it's conceivable, I suppose.

Tom Morrow

I'm not sure who the guy was on Step by Step or Family Matters.

But I work with TJ - he is the one on all the WDW behind the scenes specials and whatnot, as well as many of the ToT advertisements. He has been there since the ride opened in 1994... he's awesome.

Rayray

I have experience cm's in character, both at WDW and DL.

Sometimes you get that one guy, though, who has just had a rough day and doesn't feel like playing anymore, unfortunately.

sbkline

Original Poster

But I work with TJ - he is the one on all the WDW behind the scenes specials and whatnot, as well as many of the ToT advertisements. He has been there since the ride opened in 1994... he's awesome.

I see. Thanks. :wave:

And thanks to everyone else for the replies!

MeTa

I know both those episodes, I think that that guy is a real CM not an actor. I feel like I have seen him on many occasions in the parks acting the same way at ToT

maryszhi

It depends, i have experienced both, i get really nervos when they act scary, i dont know why
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ToT is like the proverbial box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. I have had CM's that were pretty normal and I have had those that completely sunk themselves into the role. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Oh my gosh! I was just about to mention TJ..He is my all time favorite at TOT. He always puts on a creepy act. He is so nice too. I havent seen him in a couple years. Does he still work there? I took a picture with him back in 1998 I think that was the year. The past 3 years i have been lookin for him. He is a great guy! Where is he and how is he doin?

slappy magoo

I've had in character & regular helpful CMs. The in-character ones are (usually) a nice touch, occasionally ruined only by the less-than-magical guests who suck the joy out of any room they happen to be in.

jiminy.cricket

We had him one time! In my experience, the bellhops have always been pretty creepy...I guess it just depends on when you go.

Nemo14

We've had some who have really got into the character, and some who were not into it at all. I love the ones who never crack a smile - one wished me a happy birthday, totally in character, last spring. :)

the-reason14

I remember the first time I rode ToT back in 04 I think, I rode it at night and our bellhop was definately in character. I guess it was good for a first ride, def. had me thinking twice about riding it and whether or not I actually liked the ride or not. I guess it was also good sense I have never ever had another cm like that from my knowledge, most of them we've encountered were just standard acting cms you can find in almost all the rides. I do remember one guy he was alright but not as good as the guy on my first trip. I do remember seeing that one guy that was on the travel channel special I had seen him, he was good.

Boray

I love having them in character. Last year I tried to talk seriously to one of the "in character" CMs on ToT. I asked how he liked working at Disney, and he replied that he works at the Hollywood Tower Hotel and has been there for years...totally in character. He was awesome. He would not break character no matter how I tried to just chat. Those that take their job seriously like that must really enjoy going to work everyday. I wish I had their job... :animwink:

WED10IA

I think it would be so fun to scare people by jumping into the car or just having fun. Anywhere I think you just have so much fun telling stories and acting like you are really a bellhop/HM butler.

bluefaery

I was under the impression that TJ works at DL not WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom