Tower of Terror: Fact or Fiction?

louise900star

Original Poster
Recently i was thinking about the Tower of Terror and remembered something that i had read somewhere on the internet about it.

For the life of me i cannot find this information on the internet now to back up my thoughts.

Anyway, does anyone know whether or not it is true that if a hurricane were to hit Disney's Hollywood Studio's they could dismantle the Tower of Terror quickly to reduce the amount of damage that it would take?

I really wish i could remember where i read this, maybe i dreamt it? :shrug:

hpyhnt 1000

Uh... did you hear this from a bus driver, boat captain, or any other WDW transportation operator? :confused: :lol:

Sorry, but I have never heard of such a thing. :shrug:

agent86

If it weren't built to withstand the winds, it would become quickly dismantled anyway. :lol:

Precisely! There's no truth to this rumor. What you might be thinking of is a rumor that the spires on the Castle can be removed in the event of a hurricane. That rumor, also, is false.

louise900star

Original Poster
I have no idea where i read this "information". I thought it seemed a bit strange when i read it.

If it was true i don't know how safe i'd feel riding it after that :/

KaliSplash

Disney's buildings are built quite securely, for the most part. But no, they can't be disassembled quickly.

Now things like Mickey's Toontown Fair, not so secure and quite capable of being disassembled by a storm.

Tom Morrow

Uh... most definitely not...

It is a full, solid building that contains a ride, not a ride structure.

You may be thinking of the rumor that Cinderella Castle can be dismantled, or at least parts of it... whic his also false.

kag1984

A couple of years ago when Hurricane Charlie, Francis, and Rita went right through WDW the tower was never taken down... and you could see some damage done to the facade. I don't have any pics of it, but it was things like the moldings around the window frames, and architectural details that broke in half or were impaled by something, and it looked like the details on the facade were made out of a heavy duty styrofoam material... which is not uncommon in movie studio sets.

jmvd20

and it looked like the details on the facade were made out of a heavy duty styrofoam material... which is not uncommon in movie studio sets.

It is also not uncommon on any other building project. The cost to have real stone, wood, and marble made are prohibitively higher than faux work such as styrofoam backing with a weather resistant material on top. Since they have no structural significance lighter materials are always used where practical.

People who could believe such rumors have to be impaired. To think that Disney would spend the time and money for actions to be taken to dismantle large buildings in storms is idiotic.

nuttyskadork

Uh... most definitely not...

It is a full, solid building that contains a ride, not a ride structure.

You may be thinking of the rumor that Cinderella Castle can be dismantled, or at least parts of it... whic his also false.

I hate how some guidebooks report that as fact lol. Like I really love the Unofficial guide, and they had a Inside Disney book. Fascinating stuff, but the fact that they reported that as fact kind of threw me off. I can't remember which book, but one was also saying how Walt was actually frozen in one of the castles lol.

BrennaRN

I am always fascinated by how they would prep for a hurricane. I guess since living through several severe ones, I'm always amazed that Disney is always spared.

MattyFresh

If it weren't built to withstand the winds, it would become quickly dismantled anyway. :lol:

Precisely! There's no truth to this rumor. What you might be thinking of is a rumor that the spires on the Castle can be removed in the event of a hurricane. That rumor, also, is false.

come on guys......I know this is not a rumor.....the bus driver told me so....and someone else on the bus second it...:lookaroun :ROFLOL:

nuttyskadork

I am always fascinated by how they would prep for a hurricane. I guess since living through several severe ones, I'm always amazed that Disney is always spared.

Orlando's quite a ways back from the ocean though so generally the hurricane loses a lot of its strength. Granted Disneyland seems to fair quite well during earthquakes lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom