Tower Of Terror Could Lose!

TheAmazingBobbo

Maverick is the most wild ride I've ever been on, even better than ToT actually. Not that I want to see a WDW ride lose to a ride somewhere else, but being from only an hour away from Cedar Point, I had to chime in, that ride is incredible.

Since1976

ToT is the obvious best ride? Sorry, as much as I love WDW, its rides are nowhere near the top of the list for me as far as thrills go. But that's okay, b/c I go to WDW for excitement of a different sort anyway, and I go much more often than my local amusement park.

If there were a poll for best ride theming, best ride story, or best thrill *experience*, then I might be inclined to vote on ToT or one of the other great WDW attractions.

goodtimes5286

the problem i had with the pole that it pitted MANY rides in the same parks against each other. They arent lookin for the best rides in each park and then rolling with it, they're looking at the best ride over all. so they should have def done a better job of cutting it up.

Wilt Dasney

We can stop arguing, I guess. It lost. :lol:

Picture6-2.png

The webmaster shut down the poll for a while because he was concerned somebody was pimping Maverick from another link...then opened it back up and basically said "Pimp away." They don't seem to really know what they're going for over there. :shrug: :lol:

jmvd20

the problem i had with the pole that it pitted MANY rides in the same parks against each other. They arent lookin for the best rides in each park and then rolling with it, they're looking at the best ride over all. so they should have def done a better job of cutting it up.

From what I understand they set this up like the NCAA tourney bracket. That is why some different types of rides are up against each other.

Overall though - what's all the fuss about? Does it really matter that much to some people if a webpoll has a Disney ride losing a poll?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
And that's where we differ. It does start out with a good idea for a story, but for me, it's gone the moment you board the elevator. The story goes out the window and it becomes all about cheap thrills. I can think of many, many attractions with better (ie. more complete) stories - Splash Mountain, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, Body Wars, Star Tours (even if the logic is off), Ellen's Energy Adventure, Snow White, Peter Pan, Winnie-the-Pooh, Indiana Jones and The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Monsters, Inc. - Mike and Sully to the Rescue, the un-Depped Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Haunted Mansion, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur (and I'm not even a big fan of it), Expedition: Everest, etc. These are just the moving attractions. I could make a huge list of non-moving attractions with more complete stories, too. Sorry, I just don't care for the lame resolution of Tower of Terror. More story, less lame dropping. Again, that's just me. Obviously you feel differently and that's great for you. I just personally have never understood why it's considered such a great attraction. A great queue and a great setup for an attraction, yes. But that's all I'll give it.

Maybe you just don't understand the story? If it was all about thrills as soon as you get on the elevator, they wouldn't bother having all of those other show scenes in the ride. :rolleyes:

goodtimes5286

Men in Black Alien Attack beats the Indiana Jones Adventure? Seriously, what are these people smoking?

Yeah that one got to me, in a crappy park with almost no rides the wait has never been more then 10/15 minutes for me on MIB, but Indiana Jones was ALWAYS atleast 70-120 minutes and BEYOND! Plus the ride dominates and I hate whom ever decided to give us that crappy attraction instead of the amazing ride :(.

Crystal skull movie ride in DHS?

Tom Morrow

And that's where we differ. It does start out with a good idea for a story, but for me, it's gone the moment you board the elevator. The story goes out the window and it becomes all about cheap thrills. I can think of many, many attractions with better (ie. more complete) stories - Splash Mountain, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, Body Wars, Star Tours (even if the logic is off), Ellen's Energy Adventure, Snow White, Peter Pan, Winnie-the-Pooh, Indiana Jones and The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Monsters, Inc. - Mike and Sully to the Rescue, the un-Depped Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Haunted Mansion, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur (and I'm not even a big fan of it), Expedition: Everest, etc. These are just the moving attractions. I could make a huge list of non-moving attractions with more complete stories, too. Sorry, I just don't care for the lame resolution of Tower of Terror. More story, less lame dropping. Again, that's just me. Obviously you feel differently and that's great for you. I just personally have never understood why it's considered such a great attraction. A great queue and a great setup for an attraction, yes. But that's all I'll give it.
Them's fightin' words.

The fact that you listed Haunted Mansion and Pirates makes you lose all credibility. If you really knew your attractions, you would know that neither of those rides officially has any story (well, Pirates before Depp) and any story you have heard has been made up over the years by Cast Members.

You also listed several rides that just follow the story of the movie they are based off (not that this is a bad thing) or Epcot attractions that were non-fiction or not presented as a story.

Tower's story takes you into a Twilight Zone episode, but rather than place you in an existing episode or the movie, you are in an entirely original story created for the ride which borrows and uses elements from the show. The basic premise of the story is made very clear but the details are left open to interpretation, giving it the mystery and intrigue that no other theme park attraction has matched yet.

Also, cheap thrills = Dr. Doom. Not Tower of Terror.
Hopefully not, since Crystal Skull was a trainwreck of a movie.

CThaddeus

Them's fightin' words.

The fact that you listed Haunted Mansion and Pirates makes you lose all credibility. If you really knew your attractions, you would know that neither of those rides officially has any story (well, Pirates before Depp) and any story you have heard has been made up over the years by Cast Members.

You also listed several rides that just follow the story of the movie they are based off (not that this is a bad thing) or Epcot attractions that were non-fiction or not presented as a story.

Tower's story takes you into a Twilight Zone episode, but rather than place you in an existing episode or the movie, you are in an entirely original story created for the ride which borrows and uses elements from the show. The basic premise of the story is made very clear but the details are left open to interpretation, giving it the mystery and intrigue that no other theme park attraction has matched yet.

Also, cheap thrills = Dr. Doom. Not Tower of Terror.

First, I believe every attraction I mentioned does have a story to it, and I believe they all have a better and more complete story than Tower of Terror. Claiming that I lose credibility because I use Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion is silly because they DO have stories. They are rather general stories, but they do have them. Since you overexplained your case, I'll overexplain the story of Pirates (I'm using Disneyland's since it has the better story): we begin in presumably present day, where we see the skeletal remains of pirates who appear to have been cursed for all eternity to do whatever it was they were doing when they died - navigating a beached ship, sitting atop a fortune in gold and jewels, playing chess, etc. We then travel back in time to witness glimpses of how they ended up the way they did - from attacking the town, to pillaging the town, to burning the town, to being caught and jailed, and to escaping to continue their debauchery. No, there's not a specific single character we're following, but there's a very definite and, in my mind, obvious storyline. I'm not using anything that's not readily visible in the attraction to describe it. No CMs were involved in the development of this storyline (unless you count me, since I once worked at Disneyland).
I'll grant you that Haunted Mansion is a little less defined, and maybe not the best example of a "complete" story. In fact, it's pretty safe to say it's mainly just a Ghost Host giving you a tour of the place and trying to convince you to join them, but instead a ghost decides to follow you home. I still find its story far more satisfyingly developed and concluded than Tower of Terror's. And as far as "mystery and intrigue" goes, I think the previous incarnation of Haunted Mansion blows the Tower away.
Yeah, I know, them's fightin' words. So, here's how I see Tower of Terror's development after the video, which again, I fully admitted is quite good:
1. You get into a service elevator to be a part of a non-existent "episode" (yeah, I got that. I'm not that dim).
2. You go up a few flights and see the people from the "episode" in a ghostly form acting as if they're trying to convince you to come with them, then the room goes black, turns to stars, and you ascend again.
3. You enter the fifth dimension, and go through the whole "Twilight Zone" opening credit scene, basically rehashing what you already saw in the video downstairs...only now it's all around you.
4. You enter the other shaft, Rod says you're going beyond the fifth dimension, and then it's down and up and down and up and down and up and down until the computer decides you've had enough.
5. At the bottom, you see a fading video of the opening credits AGAIN, and Rod welcomes you back and tells you to avoid haunted hotels in the future (how deep and helpful!).

There's not much in the way of story there. In fact, if I were to point out the one thing this attraction has a lot of, it's repeating itself. You see the opening credits three times in less than a ten minute span of time, you go down and up repeatedly, and you hear that girl singing "It's raining, it's pouring" a lot. To me, none of this says well-developed story, nor does it say greatest attraction out there. It also seems incredibly unfinished to me. You supposedly enter the Twilight Zone, repeatedly plunge toward the ground, and then you walk away from the Zone and the attraction with only a warning to be careful? I wish it worked for me, but it doesn't.
And yes, it's a cheap thrill. Dr. Doom is obviously an even cheaper thrill, but Tower's is still cheap, all the same. You're yanked down and up repeatedly, then - boom! - the ride is over. That's it. Meanwhile, an attraction like Splash Mountain has a thrill that could end up feeling cheap, but instead the drop is followed by a show-stopping scene that wraps up the story and doesn't feel rushed or tacked on.

Aasdems93

Original Poster
CThaddeus:

I think that part of the reason that people enjoy ToT is because it brings together a story and thrills as only Disney can do. Not everyone (like you apparently) enjoys thrill rides and that is perfectly alright but I for one enjoy Tower of Terror so much because it took a common Drop Tower and made into, what I believe, to be one of the scariest ride expiriences found anywhere. Also calling Tower a "Cheap Trick" is degrading imo seeing how the elevator system used was featured on the Discovery Channel as an engineering feat. Now I do understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe your review of the ride is a little biased. And what kind of theming would you like them to have while your dropping up and down?? I think the opening doors and thrill is more than enough haha

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yeah that one got to me, in a crappy park with almost no rides the wait has never been more then 10/15 minutes for me on MIB, but Indiana Jones was ALWAYS atleast 70-120 minutes and BEYOND! Plus the ride dominates and I hate whom ever decided to give us that crappy attraction instead of the amazing ride :(.

Crappy park with almost no rides? MIB is in Universal, not DHS :p

As always, Ride throughput makes a big difference. Soarin' at Epcot always has a 70+ minute wait and SSE has usually only a 15 min wait, but the amount of guests going through is usually higher on SSE.

Tokyo DisneySea's Indy ride is actually Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Anyone that puts ANY credibility into this sort of nonsensical polling method needs to have their own Sub-Forum (probably should be a Sub-Forum out of Games:lookaroun).

This is a prime example of how polls and surveys can be skewed to represent the writers agenda.

MKCP 1985

Its reign couldn't last forever. At least the popularity of Midway Mania has cut down the wait times a bit.

Personally, I love Tower of Terror. If I ever get to my room in that hotel, I am going to party like its 1999! :king:

IMO, Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster back to back is the best "one, two punch" of any side by side attractions at WDW.

goodtimes5286

Its reign couldn't last forever. At least the popularity of Midway Mania has cut down the wait times a bit.

Personally, I love Tower of Terror. If I ever get to my room in that hotel, I am going to party like its 1999! :king:

IMO, Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster back to back is the best "one, two punch" of any side by side attractions at WDW.
or of any park

CThaddeus

CThaddeus:

I think that part of the reason that people enjoy ToT is because it brings together a story and thrills as only Disney can do. Not everyone (like you apparently) enjoys thrill rides and that is perfectly alright but I for one enjoy Tower of Terror so much because it took a common Drop Tower and made into, what I believe, to be one of the scariest ride expiriences found anywhere. Also calling Tower a "Cheap Trick" is degrading imo seeing how the elevator system used was featured on the Discovery Channel as an engineering feat. Now I do understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe your review of the ride is a little biased. And what kind of theming would you like them to have while your dropping up and down?? I think the opening doors and thrill is more than enough haha

You may wish to read what I wrote again. Nowhere did I say I didn't like a good thrill ride. Though I don't think much of freefalls rides in general, I do happen to like well-done coasters (Rock n' Rollercoaster would be great if it weren't for the horrendous "acting" and caterwauling of Aerosmith) and certain other "thrill" rides. For example, I love California Screamin' at California Adventure for the amazing looping steel coaster it is. However, it has zero story, and thus in terms of a complete Disney experience, it fails for me on that level. But I still ride it whenever I get the chance because I find it so enjoyable.
My biggest issue with Tower of Terror is that in almost every interview since the mid-90's, Disney has made a point of saying "Story is everything." And that's what I love about their best attractions - they have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It may not be a completely defined story - like say, Haunted Mansion - but it provides a feeling of a start, a middle, and a sense of closure. I don't get that from Tower of Terror. Again, I understand most people are good with it. It just doesn't work for me. The attempt at an ending is rushed and weak, and I walk away from it feeling like something is missing and that the real end to the ride is the expectation that you'll buy something from the shop you're dumped into when the doors open.
Next, I didn't call it a "cheap trick." I called it a cheap thrill, which it is...TO ME. I don't get any real sense of story while on the "elevator," just a rehashing of what you already saw in the video, a bunch of controlled - yet apparently scary to many - drops and rises, and a cheesy final warning not to go into haunted hotels in the future. It's all about the drops and not the story once you board the elevator. Therefore, to me it is a cheap thrill. As I pointed out in my last post Splash Mountain has a great story, a few minor thrills, more story, and one big thrill - but it's followed up with a major, story-concluding final scene. There is nothing impressive about the ending of Tower. Nothing. Sorry, that to me is cheap.
Now, is my review biased? You bet. Any opinion is biased by its very nature. But my opinion and review were formed by riding the attraction, analyzing it in my mind, and then trying to come to terms with why I felt so unimpressed with the attraction as a whole. Before I rode the attraction, I really enjoyed the making of special on the Disney Channel and I was already a huge fan of "The Twilight Zone" series. So, when I visited the World for the first time, I was looking forward to The Tower. It seemed a foregone conclusion to me that I would truly enjoy it. And I did...up to the elevator portion. Yes, I was duly impressed by the ride system, but a cool ride system does not a great Disney attraction make (I feel the same about Test Track). Also, the almost complete abandonment of the story and lack of an ending just left me feeling, well, like I'd missed something. I rode it again, and it still just felt incomplete and rushed. So that is my bias. Is Tower better than your run-of-the-mill freefall? Yes. But is it classic Disney? To me, no. It feels more Universal in its execution...and that (to me) is not a compliment.
Finally, I didn't say I wanted theming while going up and down. I said I wanted an ending. I know I've said it quite a few times now, but the point seems to have been missed before. I wanted there to be a minute or so after the drops to really wrap up the story, like maybe some kind of escape from the "Twilight Zone," since it seems to me that's where you should be after all this. But it's not there. When the souvenir shop feels like it's the ending there's truly something wrong...IN MY OPINION (I feel I have to keep stressing that for some reason).
So, what all this really means is that one less person will be in the queue ahead of you on Tower of Terror. I have a video of the preshow I can watch any time, so that will suffice for me. I know it's a fan favorite, but it's just not mine.

Wilt Dasney

ToT might have a decent story...for a theme park ride.

Perhaps the problem is that it picked The Twilight Zone — one of the more nuanced and intelligent narrative-based series ever developed — for its basis.

I can't say I don't like ToT's story...after many, many rides (including 5 months working in the attraction), it's sincerely grown on me over time.

I just remember my impression after my very first ride...which is that it came nowhere close to matching the wicked irony of TTZ TV show. I imagine no thrill ride ever could. But ToT did try. In my opinion, that's the only reason it comes short. You just can't tell a Twilight Zone story through a falling elevator.

For the record, I'm kind of in the middle here. I think the ride has a FANTASTIC set-up, followed by a mediocre payoff...as far as narrative is concerned.

goodtimes5286

idk, ive always loved it and thought it did a great job of telling the story. From the external and internal hotel ambiance, to the rod stearling library room, all the way from the elevator until they wrap it up "A friendly word of warning...." I dont really know what they missed to be honest.

Although people have said DLT's is better

marsrunner

Although people have said DLT's is better

Don't you know? Everything in Tokyo is better! :( Sad but true!

Whatever anybody else thinks, its my favorite ride of any kind anywhere. The themeing, the thrill, the story, the effects; its all there, and nothing is left wanting. I even like the one at DCA, although to a lesser extent as the exterior themeing just doesn't cut it and the non-random drop pattern kinda takes some of the surprise out of it.

JLW11Hi

Y
My biggest issue with Tower of Terror is that in almost every interview since the mid-90's, Disney has made a point of saying "Story is everything." And that's what I love about their best attractions - they have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It may not be a completely defined story - like say, Haunted Mansion - but it provides a feeling of a start, a middle, and a sense of closure. I don't get that from Tower of Terror. Again, I understand most people are good with it. It just doesn't work for me. The attempt at an ending is rushed and weak, and I walk away from it feeling like something is missing and that the real end to the ride is the expectation that you'll buy something from the shop you're dumped into when the doors open.

Its funny that you mention the problem with the rushed ending, because I find the strongest part of the Tower of Terror is everything leading up to the actual ride portion.

I love that the story actually begins at the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset. In fact, I always head to Tower first on my trips to DHS, so it practically starts at the gate. You enter Hollywood, with theme music surrounding you, then you turn onto Sunset, where you are immersed in this particular section of Hollywood that is set in the 1940s, with swing and boogie woogie played around you. You see the looming tower at the end of the street, and it just gets creepier and creepier as you approach it. The whole outside portion of the Hotel, with the eerie walkway and the faint sound of old jazz music being played, into the dusty old lobby, through the library preshow, and finally into the noisy boiler room that totally gives off the feeling of impending doom. And the great use of the Bell Hop as a wonderfully creepy character telling you to have a nice stay, before the doors close and send you up.

That's such a great set up for an attraction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom