Tower Of Terror Could Lose!

Aasdems93

Original Poster
Themepark http://www.themeparkinsider.com/index.cfm Insider is having their annual Best Ride in America contest and last years Reigning Champ The Tower Of Terror (The Obvious Best Ride) is currently losing in the second round due, in part, to a large mobilization of Cedar Point fans for their new steel "Maverick". I am pleading (haha its not that serious) for all who read this to take the extra second of their day to vote in this tournament (hopefully for TOT)!

P.S.- It's also a great site!

tnemgif

I started to worry when I saw the thread title because I thought it said Tower of Terror might CLOSE...
But in regards to Theme Park Insider, I always felt like that site was aimed/visited by mostly thrill-ride-lovers anyway, so it isn't really an accurate ranking of theme park rides. Just how I've always felt, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

CThaddeus

I don't think Tower of Terror is the best ride in Disney World...much less THE world. :lookaroun :lol:

I completely agree with you. Tower of Terror just doesn't impress me. I like the queue and I like the video, but the ride portion doesn't scare, thrill, excite, or interest me. I feel more out-of-control on Thunder Mountain than I do in the Tower, and the story is pretty much abandoned in favor of the cheesy, overly-controlled drops. It would be hard to pick the best ride, but personally I'd go with Space Mountain at Disneyland, or Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, California Screamin' (if you're just interested in thrills), Ellen's Energy Adventure, The Great Movie Ride, or even the dumbed up Spaceship Earth. I'd probably even pick Dumbo over Tower of Terror, but that's just me.

Pseybert

I completely agree with you. Tower of Terror just doesn't impress me. I like the queue and I like the video, but the ride portion doesn't scare, thrill, excite, or interest me. I feel more out-of-control on Thunder Mountain than I do in the Tower, and the story is pretty much abandoned in favor of the cheesy, overly-controlled drops. It would be hard to pick the best ride, but personally I'd go with Space Mountain at Disneyland, or Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, California Screamin' (if you're just interested in thrills), Ellen's Energy Adventure, The Great Movie Ride, or even the dumbed up Spaceship Earth. I'd probably even pick Dumbo over Tower of Terror, but that's just me.

All credibility your argument had is now gone. There is no ride in the world that tells a story better than the Tower.

icandrawem2

Wow thats two threads on these boards on this topic (I started another earlier today)...its funny you say youd pick Dumbo over ToT, because in round one, ToT was up against peter pans flight...

And no, ToT is definitely not the best ride in WDW, but you have to admit that because of the theming, story, and sheer scale of the project that it beats a run of the mill coaster.

Skipper Dan

I do not like the RIDE, but I am obsessed with the story, and the building. The feeling of the actual ride, bothers me. I do not enjoy it. But the story, I love. :sohappy:

DizneyPryncess

I agree that ToT is better based on the storyline. I'm not a big roller coaster fan. Plus Cedar Point has sooo many roller coasters that I don't even know which is which anymore. ToT wins for me. :)

agent86

Themepark http://www.themeparkinsider.com/index.cfm Insider is having their annual Best Ride in America contest and last years Reigning Champ The Tower Of Terror (The Obvious Best Ride) is currently losing in the second round due, in part, to a large mobilization of Cedar Point fans for their new steel "Maverick". I am pleading (haha its not that serious) for all who read this to take the extra second of their day to vote in this tournament (hopefully for TOT)!

P.S.- It's also a great site!

So basically whichever ride ends up winning, it won't be because that ride is truly the best (or necessarily a true favorite for that matter), but rather because of a campaign to get as many votes as possible. What's the point of putting any stock in the outcome of that type of poll?

marsrunner

So basically whichever ride ends up winning, it won't be because that ride is truly the best (or necessarily a true favorite for that matter), but rather because of a campaign to get as many votes as possible. What's the point of putting any stock in the outcome of that type of poll?
The funny thing is they mentioned on the site that ToT won last year.

Who even knows if everyone who is voting for whatever ride has even actually ridden the ride? How many people do you think might be voting against anything Disney because its Disney? How many people would vote FOR Disney simply because it is Disney, without even having ridden the other ride?

This is all silly, anyway. Why is Peter Pan's Flight even in the same race as a rollercoaster? They aren't even the same thing! They aren't aimed at the same audience, or at least not aimed at pleasing certain desires of that audience. I've never been to Cedar Point, but I've been to Magic Mountain and their "rides" are fun and all, but I'll take Space Mountain or Tower of Terror, rides with a story or least nicely themed over those rides any day. I wouldn't even know how to begin deciding between ToT and Peter Pan. That's like asking me if I'd like to watch Tropic Thunder or The Lord of the Rings. How do you compare those two movies?

This just seems like a popularity contest between things that shouldn't even be compared. If they wanted to have different categories, like best thrill ride, best themeing, best story, best gentle dark ride, best thrilling dark ride, etc., etc., it might mean something.

jmvd20

It is very hard to even try and compare Cedar Point with WDW. As far as thrill rides go - Cedar Point wipes the floor with Disney, go into other areas and it is the opposite way.

As far as "thrills" - between Maverick and ToT there really is no comparisson, Maverick wins in a landslide. As far as themeing and storyline it is the other way around with ToT wiping the floor with Maverick. For those that have not been able to ride Maverick - it is incredible. Normally Cedar Point has gone for the "tallest" "fastest" "steepest" type of rides. However, with Maverick they decided to try and build a very "fun" thrill ride - and in my opinion they hit a home run.

Does all of this mean that Cedar Point is better than WDW - not at all. Cedar Point has its great strengths but also has weaknesses, just like WDW does. I love going to both places, and I love riding ToT and Maverick alike. However, when it comes to trying to compare rides and parks like this head to head it is very difficult because they are designed for different things.

CThaddeus

All credibility your argument had is now gone. There is no ride in the world that tells a story better than the Tower.

And that's where we differ. It does start out with a good idea for a story, but for me, it's gone the moment you board the elevator. The story goes out the window and it becomes all about cheap thrills. I can think of many, many attractions with better (ie. more complete) stories - Splash Mountain, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, Body Wars, Star Tours (even if the logic is off), Ellen's Energy Adventure, Snow White, Peter Pan, Winnie-the-Pooh, Indiana Jones and The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Monsters, Inc. - Mike and Sully to the Rescue, the un-Depped Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Haunted Mansion, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur (and I'm not even a big fan of it), Expedition: Everest, etc. These are just the moving attractions. I could make a huge list of non-moving attractions with more complete stories, too. Sorry, I just don't care for the lame resolution of Tower of Terror. More story, less lame dropping. Again, that's just me. Obviously you feel differently and that's great for you. I just personally have never understood why it's considered such a great attraction. A great queue and a great setup for an attraction, yes. But that's all I'll give it.

1disneydood

:shrug: Democracy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom