TouringPlans Question - Has Anyone Tried This?

wdwwdeagle

In planning for our upcoming trip later this month, I was thinking about trying something new....

Usually, I try to go to the "Best Parks" recommendations on TouringPlans. Usually we have pretty good success, but sometimes it's a bust.

However, on this trip I was thinking about going to whichever park is left off of the list on certain days. Sometimes they have all 4 parks listed, either in the "Best Parks" or "Worst Parks" category. But on some days, there is one (or sometimes two parks) not listed in either category. The website and book say that they sometimes don't list a park if they "have no reason to recommend visiting or avoiding" it.

So has anyone ever tried purposely attending the "middle-ground" parks on their vacation? How has that worked out for you?

Also, even if you've never done it, does anyone have any thoughts on whether this might be a good strategy or a bad one?

Susan Savia

We always go to the park that does not have the early opening and find less crowds. We have never used a book to decide whick park to go to. Find out the hours for your trip and plan your days that way. Have a wonderful vacation!

Upvote 0

justdru

^agreed

IMO, TouringPlans are a joke.:brick:

Why let someone else script your vacation?

Don't be a lemming, make your own calls.

I tend to agree. I'm a Pre-Med student and operate on a schedule, hour after hour, all day long. The last thing I want to do is follow a set of rules on vacation!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I rely on TP to tell me what not to do. :animwink:

To answer the OP, I've sorta tried your theory out because our last 2 January trips it seemed whatever parks TP said was the best would have the tour groups in it. I think the tour group operators use their suggestions, too. For that reason we've tried to do non-mentioned parks when we could and it turned out just fine. I always keep in mind that if I get into a park & it seems a little tighter than I expected I can hop to another park. Or go find something else to do. :D

Upvote 0

dizzney

We avoid MK on mondays since everyone who arrives over the weekend with kids goes there, otherwise we watch what has early opening and unless we want to do the EMH, we go to another park

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Honestly, the best guide book has been the one the DWF and I script. Fun, can change at will, spontaneous and always has a ton of laugh s and adventure. Sorry but guide books are boring and are not always accurate. I find the people on this board are dead on and offer sound advice.

Upvote 0

mamamouse

I never follow touring plans I go according to where I can get dining reservations for that day n then if I get bored I hop to another park,the only thing I've come to realise after sooo many years is that magic kingdom n weekends are not a good idea,same goes for waterparks,they tend to get packed by locals . Have a safe n happy trip!!

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

^agreed

Touring Plans.com offers more than just "touring plans". Their site has been useful for me in more ways than one...especially with the crowd calendar and now with Lines...their mobile app...which is fantastic.

I never follow a specific Touring Plan because I go when it's not needed...but trust me, their whole system definitely has merit.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

^agreed

I agree as well. We arrive at the parks early, take advantage of extra magic hours at MK only and take advantage of fast passes. We'll also take a break during the busiest part of the day and go back for the evening. This is a simple description to what we do, but it works for us. The only structure we have is dining plans and that's only so we can eat at the places we want.

Its what you are comfortable with and how you like to vacation.

Upvote 0

amontpet

I think the biggest factor is what the crowd levels are supposed to be when you go. If you go in Sept I don't think it will matter which park you go to but if go in July then I would follow Touring Plan's sugguestions. I can understand why people do not want to follow a plan and I am pretty happy to hear a lot of people do not want to as it will work better for my family this summer if you do not. With our kids now in school we are not willing to pull them out of school to go to Disney World we usually go over Spring Break (last time it was also over Easter) so crowds are very high. This year we are going in July and again it will be very busy and hot so we will be following not only a schedule for which parks to go to each day but also which attractions to go on and when (including when to get a fast pass and use it). Since we are going with 4 kids under the age of 10 we would like to minimize the length of time we are in lines. If more people used these plans they would not work as well. I think you have to look at your situation and if you decide to go with the non listed parks and you find that doesn't work take Touring Plans sugguestions with and modify your plans if necessary.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Touring Plans suggestions are spot on - and their Wait Times iPhone application is always more correct that Disney's own Ride Boards...

There are plenty of visitors to WDW who wander and do their own thing and aren't worried about lines and wait times.

For those who ARE concerned about doing as much as they possibly can in the day or two they are in a particular park, there is nothing as well done as the Touring Plans. They are just plain old correct all of the time.

As to the unlisted parks for the day, it means exactly what it is -- they don't recommend you go that day, they also don't recommend you don't go. If the Best Park for the day as Epcot, and you have already gone to Epcot, then my all means try one of the other parks except the one to avoid for the day.

TOuring Plans has always been better advising what to do to maximize your day in whichever park you want to go to -- It tells you what NOT to do, not what To do...

If you follow their suggested plan for going to the attractions, though, rather than just wandering through the parks, you WILL find that you can get in every single attraction in one day, and even a few repeats.

Following the Epcot Plan, for example, is so spot on that you can be out of the park by 3:00 and have done EVERY attraction even on a busy day...but that means no lingering, no sit-down lunch, and for heavens sake, no character autographs.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

I really shouldn't have called users of Touring Plans "lemmings". (Although I love saying that word:ROFLOL:)

I understand why people use them, and I really can't blame them for doing so.
Many don't have the time or passion to read the guidebooks, follow the websites, and track the changes within WDW on a constant basis.

For me, organizing a WDW vacation is such a personal joy that the thought of following someone else's plan is depressing.

But a WDW neophyte, going in with limited time, could certainly use a hand in knowing when to hit certain attractions on which days.

My buddy took his family to WDW last year without knowledge or a plan (I tried to help him:shrug:), and they didn't have the type of awesome experience they could have had.

Upvote 0

squarb01

The main reason I joined Touring plans was so I didn't have to pay another mobile app any money. Touring plans was the cheapest mobile app for what I needed it for. Trying to figure out what the attraction wait time are at is an almost impossible task since their time boards are so few and far between. Now all I have to do is go to the mobile website and I'm there. Disney does have a mobile wait page but it only tells you low, moderate, or high. In case you are wondering the free one is m.disneyworld.go.com for your wireless device.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

For me, organizing a WDW vacation is such a personal joy that the thought of following someone else's plan is depressing.
I've never used a specific touring plan as I prefer to go with the flow once in a park, however I use the crowd calendar on touringplans.com to plan what days to go to what parks. That's what's being discussed here =)

Oh and Lines is fantastic.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

Keep us updated with how your plan works because I normally just look what days our EMH and avoid those.....
And Also, take into consideration events.

Upvote 0

TRONorail10

I can understand people wanting to get an idea of crowd levels before they start their trip to WDW. But the best advice i can give you is to TALK TO CAST MEMBERS AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE! Cast members are the ones who live the magic of WDW every single day! They know the ins-and outs and all the tips and tricks of WDW to make the most of a vacation for whatever period of time. Cast members love giving advice to guests, because lets face it, there's a lot to do, and it can be overwhelming to some people. If you have any questions, no matter how dumb you think it is, just ask, cast members are more than happy to help. And as long as ur curtious to them, they might even surprise you with a magical moment or a secret tip about the parks or characters!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom