Totally lost in which dining plan to select--help!

Dave B

All kids are different--my son is 11 and not interested in characters, my daughter is 8 and told me she only needs to see one princess and one Mickey and that's enough characters for them. To be honest, this Disney trip was my idea since I don't want to get older and then complained that I never took them. They are not Disney kids, but I'm sure the trip will be memorable nonetheless.
Have fun

CaptainAmerica

That is the best part of vacation, eating like you normally would not, I do not get to order the most expensive steak usually so it is a blessing to us, you talk about ordering expensive food items like it is a bad thing, that is one of the perks to us
The problem is that you HAVE TO order the most expensive items at every single meal in order to make the DDP worth it. I'll order an expensive meal if that's what I want on a given night, but I don't want to HAVE TO do that every night for eight nights straight.

Dave B

The problem is that you HAVE TO order the most expensive items at every single meal in order to make the DDP worth it. I'll order an expensive meal if that's what I want on a given night, but I don't want to HAVE TO do that every night for eight nights straight.
Sorry I don't see that as a problem, I have a family of four and when we go out to eat on the weekends, I find myself not ordering much and making sure the family gets what they want and I eat a lot of what is left, I like to be able to splurge and order stuff I normally would never do and get to experience the quality of some great dishes, I can get a hamburger or taco any day at home, I don't get to splurge on Steak and Lobster and other amazing dishes at WDW much now, maybe in a few years after the kids go to college, but for now, this is my 14 days to go crazy and enjoy!!!!

CaptainAmerica

Sorry I don't see that as a problem, I have a family of four and when we go out to eat on the weekends, I find myself not ordering much and making sure the family gets what they want and I eat a lot of what is left, I like to be able to splurge and order stuff I normally would never do and get to experience the quality of some great dishes, I can get a hamburger or taco any day at home, I don't get to splurge on Steak and Lobster and other amazing dishes at WDW much now, maybe in a few years after the kids go to college, but for now, this is my 14 days to go crazy and enjoy!!!!
You're completely missing the point.

I'm not saying "pay cash and order small or cheap meals." You can pay cash AND splurge and you'll still come out spending less than you would on the dining plan in almost any scenario.

Weather_Lady

Just curious what ages your kids AGED out of the Character stuff? Mine are 15 and 12 and still really enjoy it? Let us know, thx

They're 11 and 13. It's a combination of them preferring to spend time doing other things at WDW (they'd rather be on an attraction, or seeing a show, than getting another autograph when they already have books-full of them), and of having already met all the characters they wanted to meet. It's not because they've gained any sudden sophistication and they certainly don't look down their noses at the characters: they still sleep with their Disney stuffed animals clutched firmly in hand, after all...

Dave B

You're completely missing the point.

I'm not saying "pay cash and order small or cheap meals." You can pay cash AND splurge and you'll still come out spending less than you would on the dining plan in almost any scenario.
For our family of 4, we always make out on the plan, we get snacks we normally wouldn't purchase and it is great to jump into a QS get some food and not be conscious of the cost, or stop at the Cheshire cat stand or funnel cake stand and get something we normally would not and I don't want to get into another long back and forth, just facts for OUR family. It definitely works for us

Weather_Lady

The Disney Visa is a poor card, even if you're the biggest Disney fanatic on the planet.

I totally agree, insofar as it's an awful card to use if you want to build up "rewards" dollars. (For example, if I charged all my expenses to my Disney VISA, I'd earn a couple hundred reward dollars in a year. Instead, I use a JetBlue Mastercard that earns me about $1,200 in airfare over the same time period.)

However, I think the poster might have been referring to the Disney VISA discount that is available at some restaurants. If you've already got one (there's no annual fee), there are some venues where your Disney VISA will get you 10% off your bill. I know 10% isn't huge, but it's better than a stick in the eye. In fact, the only time we ever use our Disney VISA is when we're on property, dining or buying merchandise somewhere that offers the discount.

Per the Disney VISA website, FWIW, here's the current list of restaurants where you can save 10% with Disney VISA (note that there are some restrictions -- e.g., the discount won't apply if you're dining on Valentine's Day or Christmas week...).

10% Off Select Dining Locations
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas
Boma – Flavors of Africa
Jiko – The Cooking Place (see restrictions)
Sanaa
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn & Villas
ESPN Sports Club
Flying Fish (see restrictions)
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
Sebastian’s Bistro
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
The Wave…of American Flavors
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Trail’s End Restaurant
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Cítricos (see restrictions)
Grand Floridian Cafe
Narcoossee’s
Disney’s Old Key West Resort
Olivia’s Cafe
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
Kona Cafe
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort
Boatwrights Dining Hall
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
The Turf Club Bar and Grill
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
Ale & Compass Restaurant
Cape May Cafe
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
Tiffins
Disney’s Hollywood Studios®
The Hollywood Brown Derby (see restrictions)
Hollywood & Vine (see restrictions)
Epcot®
Biergarten Restaurant (see restrictions)
Coral Reef Restaurant (lunch only)
Le Cellier Steakhouse (lunch only)
Rose & Crown Dining Room (lunch only)
Magic Kingdom® Park
Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

Let us join the "no dining plan" group, especially if any of your party is veg. Also, you may feel somewhat comfortable in resting/sitting down (elsewhere) while dispatching the hungry to battle the lines. Everyone wins!

Edited to add that we hope they offer a combo dining plan and ECV to go with it.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

For our family of 4, we always make out on the plan, we get snacks we normally wouldn't purchase and it is great to jump into a QS get some food and not be conscious of the cost, or stop at the Cheshire cat stand or funnel cake stand and get something we normally would not and I don't want to get into another long back and forth, just facts for OUR family. It definitely works for us
Getting things you normally wouldn't get means you're not beating the plan.

If the food you really want is $50 but you pay $70 for the dining plan and then order food with a list price of $80, you're not "coming out ahead" by $10, you're coming out behind $20.

Dave B

But I am getting the food I want, I stated its not something I would order in the normal world, but I definitely 100% want to eat Filet Mignon almost every night, but would not do that on a normal day, so it saves me A LOT of money

aliceismad

All kids are different--my son is 11 and not interested in characters, my daughter is 8 and told me she only needs to see one princess and one Mickey and that's enough characters for them. To be honest, this Disney trip was my idea since I don't want to get older and then complain that I never took them. They are not Disney kids, but I'm sure the trip will be memorable nonetheless.
I'm sure you'll have a great time! There is lots of amazing things to do at Disney for people of all ages. Even if they aren't Disney fanatics.

Just out of pure curiosity, though, are you going to Universal? 11 is the age Harry went to Hogwarts, after all. ;)

mdcpr

Original Poster
I'm sure you'll have a great time! There is lots of amazing things to do at Disney for people of all ages. Even if they aren't Disney fanatics.

Just out of pure curiosity, though, are you going to Universal? 11 is the age Harry went to Hogwarts, after all. ;)
Universal is next year's trip--when my littlest one is older.

imsosarah

When you are out to eat it only counts the "credits" and we get the regular plan and let the 12 year old order an app or kids meal or whatever she wants and we pay out of pocket for that and simply use her meal at a different one. For example - we do an extra sit down meal or signature and use my daughters credits to cover it. Saving hers for the more expensive ones or places we want to go. You can use the snack credits for a bagel or something at breakfast if you really want also.

When you add up a nice drink with dinner and even a shared dessert - unless your goal is to eat as cheap as possible - the regular one is usually great. ESPECIALLY when you have a kid under 9. The character meals alone are more than you'd spend in a day on that one.

Again, if you are the type of person that usually doesn't have anything but water with dinner, splits meals to save money on vacation, doesn't pick up a venti starbucks drink and mickey bar - then it may not be right for you. We like to eat and enjoy eating well on vacation - heck, plan more about the food and relaxing than the rides ;)

We have done both ways and with the dining plan the worst it was break even and at best we have saved $780 for a week.

We're a family of 4--2 adults, a 12 year old that eats like a grown up and a picky 8 year old. I'm clueless about which dining plan to get. I know we would like sit down dinners every night, and a light quick lunch every day. As for breakfast, we would like to have it at the hotel before heading out the parks. What's the recommendation to select a dining plan? tks!!

Jedi Stitch

Deluxe Dining plan. It sounds counter intuitive. Pre paying the meals helps with your up front costs, and then you don't need to budget for food money because it is already pre-paid. Yes, the little one also has to have a deluxe, but now you can go any where for food. Personally, we loved character meals and having the deluxe plan paid for it self each day. We also, did early park reservations for character meals, so we got signatures with breakfast, and had a chance to ride a few rides before the masses. For Quick service, make sure you are getting a bottle of water with a fountain drink.

imsosarah

FYI - A lot of the online calculators aren't actually valid because they are not accounting for if someone orders a cocktail or wine (they say they do but when we ran numbers it is a miss) and usually pick an "average" entree price

There’s a calulator online somewhere that will help you see whether the dining plan will help save you money.

Have you looked at the restaurants and their menus? Get an idea of which places you might like and if they are table service or quick/counter service.

If you eat a lot of high-priced entrees, like character meals (that are only 1 credit), and like to have your dessert right with your meal, it might work for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom