ToT strange thing happened to me...

VetMed

Original Poster
It was EMH nighttime, about 10 pm, while riding ToT, the elevator car went up and down normally in the beginning, but then on the second time up at the top where the doors open up a strange thing happened. The elevator stopped, the lights came on inside the car, and a ride operator's voice came over an intercom and stated there was a problem (scary:eek: - remember, we are high atop an elevator shaft and the thoughts that go thru your head at that point are terrifying).

The ride op then stated to all of us to release the excess slack on the safety belt - mine is always tight so I don't know what the ride op was talking about? I think i heard someone's belt slack go clicking back in, and i suspect there was a malfunction with excess slack and they must have a sensor to monitor for this, but I am surprised it took an entire up and down drop, and then up again to set off this fail safe warning stoppage??

Then the elevator car became pitch black dark and we sat there for several minutes, and then we were slowly lowered down, we all got out, and they took us thru a back entrance, into a real elevator (yes, we were all reluctant to get back in any type of elevator, but we all did) bringing us to the basement elevator loading zone so we wouldn't have to go thru the pre-ride show again. Believe it or not, we all rode it again, not a single person chickened out despite the terrified looks and discussions we had sitting in the dark atop the shaft during a so-called malfunction.

Has this happened to anyone else? scary, yes?

Any idea what truly happened:veryconfu ? Do they have slack sensors?

I'm a ToT addict, and rode it about 30 times that night, for 3 hours straight, and i've never had this happen before?:confused:

raven

Maybe since you heard someone's seat belt being buckled that one of them came unlocked. I'm sure they have sensors for that. As far as the slack part of it goes, maybe that's just a way of telling you to make sure you are securely locked in. I know that I loved to sit in the back row middle seat and gave some slack in my seat belt so I could feel air time. This was before all seats had the seat belts.

VetMed

Original Poster
raven said:
Maybe since you heard someone's seat belt being buckled that one of them came unlocked.

I didn't hear a belt get buckled, but i do think that i heard a belt slack clicking back in. I don't understand how this would happen since the CM makes us all do a hands up maneuver prior to ride start/doors closing.

Maybe someone was trying to get airtime like you mentioned, and the belt slack was recognized by a safety sensor?

WDWKat26

It happens, there are tons of sensors on the ride, and if one goes off it's only safe that they check it out. No biggie.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess is that someone was acting a fool and held slack in their seatbelt when they put it on, allowing them to lift off the seat whenever the ride vehicle took its first drop. There is likely a sensor in the seat bottom that measures the amount of force when the ride vehicle drops. A normally belted person will not come far off the seat. Someone with slack would come most of the way off of the seat, therefore, less preassure on the seat.

VetMed

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
My guess is that someone was acting a fool and held slack in their seatbelt when they put it on, allowing them to lift off the seat whenever the ride vehicle took its first drop. There is likely a sensor in the seat bottom that measures the amount of force when the ride vehicle drops. A normally belted person will not come far off the seat. Someone with slack would come most of the way off of the seat, therefore, less preassure on the seat.

I suspect you are very right about someone messing around to get air time. I wonder if it is a seat bottom sensor or a seat belt tension sensor, or both? You have a good idea that there is a seat bottom sensor.

kirkytpt

thats neva happend to me but sumfin did happen once coz of sum1 messin round. it was just b4 the ride closed in the nite n ther was my family n 2 otha men on it. wen we went 2 purchase our photo at the end we wer told ther was a problem a safety reason that we couldnt buy it. one of the men had lifted ther legs up on 2 the front of the elevator and that was the reason. i was quite upset coz id pulled a gr8 face on the pic. the tried to take us to hav another go so we could buy the pic but the ride had been shut down 4 the nite and that was the last nite of my hols so i cudnt do it the next day either:( . wel ill just hav 2 wait until nxt time :)

dandaman

Uh... what? ;)

Chat shorthand ("b4", "sum1", etc.) is kinda discouraged here. :wave:

That sucks that you couldn't buy the photo, though. I've seen it happen a lot on Splash Mountain.

Montu

VetMed said:
It was EMH nighttime, about 10 pm, while riding ToT, the elevator car went up and down normally in the beginning, but then on the second time up at the top where the doors open up a strange thing happened. The elevator stopped, the lights came on inside the car, and a ride operator's voice came over an intercom and stated there was a problem (scary:eek: - remember, we are high atop an elevator shaft and the thoughts that go thru your head at that point are terrifying).

The ride op then stated to all of us to release the excess slack on the safety belt - mine is always tight so I don't know what the ride op was talking about? I think i heard someone's belt slack go clicking back in, and i suspect there was a malfunction with excess slack and they must have a sensor to monitor for this, but I am surprised it took an entire up and down drop, and then up again to set off this fail safe warning stoppage??

Then the elevator car became pitch black dark and we sat there for several minutes, and then we were slowly lowered down, we all got out, and they took us thru a back entrance, into a real elevator (yes, we were all reluctant to get back in any type of elevator, but we all did) bringing us to the basement elevator loading zone so we wouldn't have to go thru the pre-ride show again. Believe it or not, we all rode it again, not a single person chickened out despite the terrified looks and discussions we had sitting in the dark atop the shaft during a so-called malfunction.

Has this happened to anyone else? scary, yes?

Any idea what truly happened:veryconfu ? Do they have slack sensors?

I'm a ToT addict, and rode it about 30 times that night, for 3 hours straight, and i've never had this happen before?:confused:

It's not a malfunction. It's called a punk kid trying to play the system and hold his seatbelt, extremely loose underneath him so he can stand up on the drops. Happens all the time. Has absolultely nothing to do with the ride system and absolutely everything to do with the very small handful of awful guests that come in looking to cause problems.

Don't make it into more than it is - nothing to worry about for your own safety, because you're smart enough to do the right thing!

VetMed

Original Poster
Montu said:
It's not a malfunction. It's called a punk kid trying to play the system and hold his seatbelt, extremely loose underneath him so he can stand up on the drops. Happens all the time. Has absolultely nothing to do with the ride system and absolutely everything to do with the very small handful of awful guests that come in looking to cause problems.

Don't make it into more than it is - nothing to worry about for your own safety, because you're smart enough to do the right thing!

I suspect you're right, Montu. I was surprised by the whole situation, and sitting atop the elevator shaft, late at night, in the pitch black is scary. It was scarier being lowered down slowly, than it is being dropped down fast!

Assuming it is a belt that was really loose, I wonder how they knew? Belt sensors, seat sensors, camera on the car?

I'm surprised that nobody else has had the slow drop interuption before - any other stories/experiences?

wdwishes2005

kirkytpt said:
thats neva happend to me but sumfin did happen once coz of sum1 messin round. it was just b4 the ride closed in the nite n ther was my family n 2 otha men on it. wen we went 2 purchase our photo at the end we wer told ther was a problem a safety reason that we couldnt buy it. one of the men had lifted ther legs up on 2 the front of the elevator and that was the reason. i was quite upset coz id pulled a gr8 face on the pic. the tried to take us to hav another go so we could buy the pic but the ride had been shut down 4 the nite and that was the last nite of my hols so i cudnt do it the next day either:( . wel ill just hav 2 wait until nxt time :)
:confused: :confused: :confused: I realllllly hope you are typing this on a cell phone....

Punkss

-----------Thread drift----------------

Nope that speak is prevalent in the UK on websites and stuff I hate and its a bit passe but hey thats just my 20 pence!

-----------Thread drift over...-----------

I'm sure it was sensors like everyone else, shame you had to suffer for it but safety comes first!

Connor002

kirkytpt said:

"It's like she's trying to speak to me, I know it."

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I normally skip such posts, as it takes way too much time trying to figure out what it is that they are trying to say.

raven

MrNonacho said:
The vehicles are under video surveillance.
Yes they are. But I believe another alarm went off to alert CMs of this problem. Most likely a seat beat sensor was activated and the ride was stopped automatically and a CM addressed the problem accordingly. The newer attractions have highly complicated safety devices that have to be installed before WDI considers even openning it.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
raven said:
Yes they are. But I believe another alarm went off to alert CMs of this problem. Most likely a seat beat sensor was activated and the ride was stopped automatically and a CM addressed the problem accordingly.

I know there are indicators on each vehicle that tell whether or not the belts are buckled, but I'm not sure if there's any kind of weight or slack sensor. If there were, why wouldn't the problem have been addressed before the vehicle was dispatched?

wdwishes2005

Connor002 said:
"It's like she's trying to speak to me, I know it."
:hammer:
wha? man i no wut my cuz across da pond was rappin'. wut up wit u dog. ya must hav ben b4 my time. WDWishes g2g man, i gotta git 2 da hizzy fazizzle. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom