Top reasons *not* to go to Disney

habuma

Original Poster
Some of you have probably already seen this. http://www.viraltravel.com/top-13-reasons-not-to-go-to-disney. After it showed up in my feed a few times I clicked on it, read it, and found it to be written out of bitterness.

I'll admit that I (as well as others on this forum) might be blinded by the pixie dust. Even so, I also recognize that Disney's far from perfect.

Keeping that in mind, here's my quick rebuttal, item by item:

14. The "everyone else is doing it" argument has no bearing on me. Not sure why that's even in the list. Certainly, you shouldn't do *anything* (Disney or otherwise) just because someone else is doing it. No strong disagreement there, other than I am puzzled by its presence on the list.

13. Yep, I sure wish tickets were cheaper...heck, I wish they'd just give them to me for free. But they're not as bad as the author would have you believe. It's almost that bad if you buy one-day tickets, but nowhere close if you buy multi-day packages. A 10-day package, for example, is 1/3 of the over $100 price that he mentions.

12. Constant construction is a problem, and I'm really bummed that the moat is drained and there's a crane ruining my castle photos. But I also recognize that those construction projects are for the long-term good. Also, they're localized to specific areas and there's plenty of park that isn't under construction.

11. It gets crowded. No question about that. Proper planning helps you avoid that to some degree, but crowds are going to be a factor at any popular vacation spot. Having been to other theme/amusement parks, this problem isn't Disney-specific. The best thing to do is to not the crowds ruin your fun.

10. Completely don't understand this one. Two points were made (1) it's hard to meet the princesses you want to see and (2) they haven't been told that they're not really princesses. Proper planning and understanding of where characters are addresses the first problem. And, so I guess staying in character is a problem? I don't get it. Finally...you don't *have* to meet the princesses.

9. The lines are insane. See #11. Things like proper planning, FastPass, and interactive queue elements help deal with this problem. And, this is not Disney-specific.

8. Same argument as #9. Also, nobody's making you meet the characters.

7. The parks are open 365 days/year, 16+ hours/day. Things break. Protein spills. Stuff happens. It's frustrating, but it's to be expected. Plan on it. Also, what is that a picture of? Pretty sure it's not in a Disney park.

6. Food is more expensive than eating at home or more restaurants I frequent. But so is food at other popular vacation spots, so this problem isn't Disney-specific. That said, a meal plan (at least for WDW, not so much for DL) helps alleviate this and generally the food is high quality. My biggest complaint about the food at WDW is that I walk away stuffed--but I got my money's worth.

5. Nobody's forcing you to wear mouse ears. Pbbbbbbtttt!!!

4. If you like parades, this shouldn't bother you. If you don't like parades, take advantage of the fact that everyone else does and seek out those attractions that had long lines earlier in they day...I'll bet those lines are shorter now. And although it's a bit more crowded, I've never had trouble getting to/from the entrance of MK during a parade...it just takes patience.

3. Nobody's forcing you to buy expensive souvenirs. Set a budget or simply skip the souvenir shops altogether.

2. Some people (like me) find the Jungle Cruise skipper jokes (corny as they may be) funny and enjoyable. If you don't, then don't ride the Jungle Cruise. There are other "serious" attractions you can try (may I suggest "Living with the Land" if you want serious).

1. FINALLY!!! A legitimate reason to avoid Disney. If you hate Disney, then I think you're probably dead inside. But if that's you, then ***PLEASE*** stay away from Disney. I don't want you're sour-grapes attitude interfering with my fun.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I could make a much better list than that. What a bunch of "journalism" schlock.
Personally, I can't think of any major publication that's written an article on Disney that was well done.

LostPrincessKarleigh

This person obviously had one bad trip to Disney...and doesn't know how to have fun!
Personally, 1.) All the characters I have ever met (waited in line for or other wise), including the Princesses, were wonderful, interactive, and anything but snobby.
2.) I love to wear my mouse ears, even outside the parks. Are all the hats my style and taste? Obviously now but I still love the ones I buy and never get some I'm not absolutely in love with.
3.) Rides break down everywhere, not just Disney. Six flags, Busch Gardens, the local county fair.
4.) The skipper jokes are slap stick and hilarious in how bad they are. If you can't enjoy them then you take life way too seriously.
5.) "You don't like Disney."...I'm not even sure that is a sentence by English grammar rules. o_O JK, but if you don't like Disney, even a tiny bit, then there has to be something desperately wrong with your life.

The Magical Genie 123

This one must love Disney...:rolleyes: #5 and #10 are just stupid. I mean, who's making you wear those hats? I actually like them, and I don't see how that's a reason not to go to Disney World or Disneyland. And how can the princesses be snobby? I have never seen that at the Disney Parks. In fact, I only agree with 1 on this list. I can make a list that is way better no doubt. I try and think of positive things about Disney though, not the negatives.

HouCuseChickie

It's one thing to be a hater. I mean, I think we all know it's not for everyone. Still, I don't see the point of articles like this. The author is clearly ignorant on so many issues and can't seem to grasp that theyve posted nothing more than a lengthy personal opinion piece deceptively titled like some of the more genuine help pieces out there. Considering his #1 is hating Disney...it's clear he just wanted to get up on his little soap box and vent. Too bad some people will be swayed by him vs forming their own personal opinions from experience.

DizneyPryncess

Haha, how ridiculous! Most of these items could be resolved just simply by planning better...saving for costs, planning to go during off season, FP or character meals to meet the characters. Someone sounds like they had a bitter Disney trip at some point!

PrincessNelly_NJ

This is exactly why I shy away from the bad reviews of Disney on tripadvisor, yelp, and such... Most of the complaints are due to improper planning.

And really... don't go to Disney because of hats.. really?
tumblr_lt2mtr0OdM1qdlkgg.gif

Maryssa*

Why is the "there is always construction" photo a picture of downtown LA?

edit: actually almost NONE of the photos used are even relevant o_O
And is that a miniature model of the Jungle Cruise?

Cesar R M

This is exactly why I shy away from the bad reviews of Disney on tripadvisor, yelp, and such... Most of the complaints are due to improper planning.

And really... don't go to Disney because of hats.. really?
tumblr_lt2mtr0OdM1qdlkgg.gif
to be honest, a lot of complains on ANY SITE are ridiculous.
Almost feels like they complain just for the sake of complaining and feeling important.
Others might have a different agenda when complaining (like trying to leech free stuff)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom