Toontown Demolition?

Chernabog

Original Poster
This is by no means a definate thing, but the scuttle butt among entertainment cast members is that TownTown will be torn down to make way for a Pixar themed land. This was the first I had heard of that and thought I would send it out to everyone else. Thoughts on this? Anymore info of rumors? I'm not opposed to a complete overhaul of Toown Town if they open it up more and mayeb make it more like Disneyland's version, that place was awesome. Anyone else?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Not a chance. Disney's relationship with Pixar is not good, to say the least. If they end up making a new deal with Pixar, who knows what it might be. If it gives him part of the merchandising, creating a whole land of Pixar wouldn't be smart.

Why would they tear down the meeting place for all of the characters when they continue to create meet-and-greets all over the parks? Doesn't make sense.

I can see them adding some type of Pixar area, with the Pixar characters, on to ToonTown, but tearing it down isn't going to happen.

dave2822

Strongly doubt it. I wasn't even aware if Disney and Pixar were on good terms yet, especially not to do this whole themed land.

Plus, Buzz is already elsewhere in the park, Nemo is making the rounds in EPCOT, perhaps even AK, so there are two incredibly popular draws that wouldn't even be present in this land.

Never trust what you hear from cast members, bus drivers, ice cream scoopers, or the like to be 100%, or even at all, true.

I'd say the chances of this are slim to none, however, thank you for posting what you've heard!

CAPTAIN HOOK

I'm all in favour of a makeover but Toon Town is a classic - A Pixar themed land is a novel idea and may well come along in time, but not at the expense of TT

imagineer boy

I doubt it will happen, and I don't like the idea. I'd much rather perfer them tearing it down and making a Toon Town similar to DL's version and expand into the 20k lagoon with new rides.

Besides, its too late to have a Pixar land. Like Dave said, they already have Buzz in Tomorrowland, Nemo at Epcot, and a Toy Story resturaunt in MGM. If they want a Pixar land, they'd have to tear those things down and move it to there. Which is preposterouse.

inafog

I don't think it's too likely at this point, mostly because the area gets pretty heavy use already. People seem to like it just the way it is. As for the Pixar relationship, since Disney owns the characters, I don't think Pixar could stop them from building such an area. Considering that Splash Mountain is themed around a movie that hasn't been available in the US for years, it doesn't seem so farfetched to me that a Pixar-themed land is possible. Still, Toontown is the place to go to see Mickey and where he has his own attraction. I don't see that changing any time soon.

But I have to admit a visit to Monsteropolis would be kind of cool.

MKCP 1985

dave2822 said:
Never trust what you hear from cast members, bus drivers, ice cream scoopers, or the like to be 100%, or even at all, true.
Cast member ice cream scoopers know all. :lookaroun

Thrawn

Account Suspended
inafog said:
I don't think it's too likely at this point, mostly because the area gets pretty heavy use already. People seem to like it just the way it is. As for the Pixar relationship, since Disney owns the characters, I don't think Pixar could stop them from building such an area. Considering that Splash Mountain is themed around a movie that hasn't been available in the US for years, it doesn't seem so farfetched to me that a Pixar-themed land is possible. Still, Toontown is the place to go to see Mickey and where he has his own attraction. I don't see that changing any time soon.

But I have to admit a visit to Monsteropolis would be kind of cool.

The reason that Pixar deal did not get renewed is because Pixar wanted a share of the merchandising on the already created properties. So, it is possible that if a deal were to be made, Pixar would still get a share of that money, albeit much smaller than what they asked for the first time around. Disney wouldn't theme an entire land to something they would not get all the profit on.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Jacobs and Eisner fell out. Iger seems eager to renew the relationship. It can`t get much worse!

Things may not be all they seem regarding the `sour` relationship anyway; look at the Toontown (working title) greenlighted for WDSP.

dave2822

Even if the Disney-Pixar relationship is better than publicly stated, or on the rise at least, which it may be, the point is a Pixar themed land isn't really needed.

Toontown is doing just fine, Pixar is already around the parks and will surely be growing more in the future. If everyone enjoys the Pixar characters, than why contain it to one land? Let them spread the attractions around all parks, like they've been doing.

Toontown is a simple concept, but it works, remember who it's geared for. Let the kids have their meet and greets.

WeLComeHomE OKW

this is most likely not true like so many people have mentioned. There are so many rides/things in general in the parks already themed around pixar that it just seems idiotic to put a whole pixar land in the magic kingdom. the only way this would work is if they tore down all the other rides outside of "toontown" and put it there instead. which doesnt seem likely.

I have often thought, there would be no good outlet for pixar if they leave disney. They aren't going to six flags for their movies to have representation. Disney and pixar is a perfect match. I could see a pixar something would work better at MGM. But I don't think there is enough room.

dave2822

Fritz_and_Ernst said:
I have often thought, there would be no good outlet for pixar if they leave disney. They aren't going to six flags for their movies to have representation. Disney and pixar is a perfect match. I could see a pixar something would work better at MGM. But I don't think there is enough room.

Pixar is more concerned with their movies than theme park attractions. I believe they shopped around when Disney had that dispute with them, and realized no one else was willing to pay their price tag. Add the great success of Incredibles and you may see Pixar running back, offering a better price, for both their movies and merchandising rights, etc.

If the Pixar-Disney partnership resumes (which is an if), and they pump out successful characters and movies again, then look for more Pixar influenced attractions around the parks. And, correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe MGM still has a good amount of space left (sound stages, etc?). That is speculation, however.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LoisMustDie said:
You mean Steve Jobs?
Yep. Serves me right for replying half asleep.

There is on big question about Toontown. It is temporary. It was built as a temporary structure. That was 17 years ago. How much longer will they keep patching it up before some big choices need to be made? The state of the original railroad station is a case in point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom