Too old for Disney?

fractal

Recently I had the opportunity to spend several hours alone in Disneyland. I will admit that it was difficult for me as a 44 year old man to get on Peter Pan by myself. I also wanted to ride Snow White's Scary Adventure - but couldn't muster the courage. It was also a bit awkward to ride TLM with my 15 year old son. Had I been with either of my daughters or wife, no problem.

So for me - I think you can be "too old" to enjoy some part of WDW by yourself - but not if you are with the right people. I would love to someday take a grandchild into Fantasyland and ride all the rides with them.

real mad hatter

I made my first trip three years ago at the age of 58, this was also my first flight (9 1/2 hours from Scotland),:confused: I came back last year and am coming back September 2013.:) Never been solo, come with family.
9hrs 30 mins from Scotland to Orlando.? Should have told the pilot to put his foot down:) Longest flight from Glasgow with us was 8hrs 50mins.This July was 7 hrs 45 mins,and hopefully the new Dreamliner will do it in 7hrs 30mins.

Goofyernmost

Dude my dad is 70 and went recently. He and my mom went with their granddaughter not because he can only go with his grandkids but because he feels he's too old do the 3.5 hour drive. He thoroughly enjoyed it. He would like to go again soon but after a few days all the walking takes it's toll on him. He's go bad wheels from 50 years as a carpenter. He took advantage that my brother was going to tag along because he had mentioned wanting to go agian atleast once more before he gets too old for all the walking. I tell him don't worry we'll push you around in a wheel chair and get in first in line at everything(not at AK, pushing a wheelchair there is a pain). I am 34 and would go once a month if I could. I know a couple in their late 30's that go once a month. They have no kids so it's cheaper for them. They'll just go because they want to see the fireworks or something. There's no such thing as too old for Disney. To me, people that think so need to loosen up and enjoy the little things in life.

Sounds good theoretically, but a wheel chair does not give you front of the line privileges. The best you can expect is a different entrance point but sometimes the wait there is longer then the regular line. Most of Disney's attractions have been modified to take wheelchairs in the regular line with the regular wait times. Sorry! Same applies to scooters, btw!

Californian Elitist

I was on my way to work at Disneyland one day, last year. I was walking to my post in Fantasyland and I spotted an elderly couple. They were hand in hand and they both had on classic Mickey Mouse ears, the same ones worn by the classic Mickey Mouse Club gang back in the 50's. They had to have been at least 75 years old. I thought to myself, I bet these people have been coming to Disneyland since it first opened. Not only were they still coming to the park in their older ages, they were also still rocking the classic Mickey ears.

I think I've made my point.

Tinkerkell

I'm 43 and I NEVER anticipate growing too old for Disney! In fact, the older I get, the better Disney is! I appreciate all of the details and small things now that younger people may rush by and overlook.

Health and budget permitting, I plan to visit annually for the rest of my life. If live to be 85 years old and I can wheelchair down Main Street, that'll be wonderful.

jimogi

Your NEVER to old for Disney.
75.gif
No truer words said:D

real mad hatter

I was on my way to work at Disneyland one day, last year. I was walking to my post in Fantasyland and I spotted an elderly couple. They were hand in hand and they both had on classic Mickey Mouse ears, the same ones worn by the classic Mickey Mouse Club gang back in the 50's. They had to have been at least 75 years old. I thought to myself, I bet these people have been coming to Disneyland since it first opened. Not only were they still coming to the park in their older ages, they were also still rocking the classic Mickey ears.

I think I've made my point.
In a nutshell :)

Pooh Lover

I've thought about this only because my parents have decided they can no longer get around the parks comfortably on foot, so they have called it quits for further trips to WDW. I think if I can make it to my 70's before I even question if I'm "too old", why would I stop there unless I physically couldn't handle it anymore? I may not be waving my arms in the air on ToT at that point, but I'll be there any way I can. ;)

ddbowdoin

We all know that the misconception of people who aren't Disney regulars is that Disney is for kids. But at what point do you think to yourself "I really can't do this anymore"?

Let me explain: My wife has been awesome enough to let me take a solo trip every January or February for the past 8 years. Though I miss the hell out of her and the kids, it's become "my" vacation. She knows how much I love WDW, and as wonderful as the 2 weeks with the family are in the summer, I've come to really cherish the moments by myself that I get to sit on a park bench with a box of popcorn and soak up the atmosphere on Main Street, or take my time with all the movies and shops at World Showcase. Those who have ever traveled solo know what I mean.

But I'm 36 now. Let's face it, it's got to seem odd to see a 36 year old man riding by himself on Peter Pan or Winnie The Pooh. Any of you have a fear that you'll age out of Disney soon?

dude, I'm jealous... no way my wife is letting me down there for a solo

captainkidd

Original Poster
dude, I'm jealous... no way my wife is letting me down there for a solo

I was doing it before we got married. She knew there were 2 things I wasn't willing to ever give up - Disney trips and Bon Jovi concerts. The fact that she can't go in January but doesn't want me to miss out, goes to show what kind of woman I'm married to.:)

Which is why we always end up staying at her choice for a resort in the summer.;)

woody98

I was doing it before we got married. She knew there were 2 things I wasn't willing to ever give up - Disney trips and Bon Jovi concerts. The fact that she can't go in January but doesn't want me to miss out, goes to show what kind of woman I'm married to.:)

Which is why we always end up staying at her choice for a resort in the summer.;)
I should of aimed higher...all i got my golf and fantasy football....lol

Dad 2 M & M

Being a member of the *40 club*, I never see myself (or anyone else for that matter) being too old for a Disney vacation. Disney is one of the very few places we can all return to, year after year, and feel like a kid again.
Being almost out of the *40 club*, I couldn't agree more! My first trip in '75 was with my grandmother (she was almost out of the *50 club* at the time). I can't imagine ever feeling too old! My mother in the *70 club* took my youngest daughter this past spring!!! I WILL be taking grandchildren someday, maybe even great-grandchildren!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom