Too old for Disney?

luvtink

I don't think you can ever be too old for Disney! When you go it brings out the kid in you so it actually keeps you young! Too many memories there not to go back as long as you are able.

bdearl41

Sorry, but the problem is not Disney...it is with the folks that think that everything has to "thrill" them to the point of wetting their pants. The thing that attracted people to Disney in the first place had nothing to do with thrills and everything to do with imagination, slower paced fun (granted FP pretty much took that away) and just good old entertainment.

My kids loved Disney through their early years, then again when they were 16 - 25, and they still do in their mid to upper 30's. I loved it from my mid-30's to my (current) mid-60's. You are correct that they probably don't "cater" to that particular demographic and they never should. Six flags or several other parks are there to take care of that. It should never change it's focus to entertain everyone in the family at the same time. If different folks tend to not always participate in everything, it doesn't mean that it isn't geared for just about everyone, and that's the way it should be.

It would be easy for them to change focus, and I'm sure that they have bounced that idea around a lot, however, dropping what made Disney great and a different experience needs to remain. Yes, they do need to keep current with new ideas and new technology, but they should never change what made them great to begin with. What is out of style now...will return. It always does!

I never said the problem was disney if you read my post. I was just stating there is less at disney for the 16-25 demographic than there is for any other demographic. No need to get defensive.

Goofyernmost

I never said the problem was disney if you read my post. I was just stating there is less at disney for the 16-25 demographic than there is for any other demographic. No need to get defensive.

I know it is sometimes hard to tell, because the printed word contains no way to express emotional input, but there is a difference between "being defensive" and expressing opinion. My post was opinion...yours was also opinion. My opinion was addressing why I thought that they didn't cater to that particular demographic. It hinges on what the company wants to be and what it wants to represent. Just as AT&T doesn't sell Ice Cream, Disney has it's own focus and spot to fill in the theme park world. It's own Mission Statement, if you will!

The Empress Lilly

I'm 43. The one time I thought I was getting too old for this stuff was on Manta at Sea World. Wow, that thing puts some serious g-forces on you if you sit in the front. :eek:

I also do solo trips quite a bit, from day trips to DLP to multiple days at WDW. I love them more than I dare to admit, but I also must admit I do sometimes feel awkward, like on the carrousel or even Peter Pan. But I don't think that is about age.

Texas84

Dad is 75 and has a bad leg due to a stroke. He will drag that bad leg around at WDW all day long. No scooter for him! My folks went with to DLR with me and we will all be going to WDW together next year. Myself, I still make the occasional solo trip. Usually for F&G. Too old? Puh-leeze! :D

kucarachi

We all know that the misconception of people who aren't Disney regulars is that Disney is for kids. But at what point do you think to yourself "I really can't do this anymore"?

Let me explain: My wife has been awesome enough to let me take a solo trip every January or February for the past 8 years. Though I miss the hell out of her and the kids, it's become "my" vacation. She knows how much I love WDW, and as wonderful as the 2 weeks with the family are in the summer, I've come to really cherish the moments by myself that I get to sit on a park bench with a box of popcorn and soak up the atmosphere on Main Street, or take my time with all the movies and shops at World Showcase. Those who have ever traveled solo know what I mean.

But I'm 36 now. Let's face it, it's got to seem odd to see a 36 year old man riding by himself on Peter Pan or Winnie The Pooh. Any of you have a fear that you'll age out of Disney soon?

When i was 18 i went to school in Los Angeles and occasionally went to Disneyland every few weeks. Sometimes nobody wanted to go or couldn't afford to go and i felt really depressed after a few hours by myself at the park. People were nice and you got on all the single rider lines fast, its just not the same! Now i am 36 and even when my wife and I take turns with the fastpass on rides the kids can't go on...we both say i'd rather not ride it all and we do something everyone including a 1yr old can do...i did get on TOT after 3 years of not doing it and it was awesome, but i felt like an illegal alien since i was the only one not with the group...and not with anyone. Haven't been on Space Mountain since 2007 and we go every year!

kucarachi

By the way, maybe you could set up sort of an adult playdate (not sure what else to call it) with people on these forums that could use an extra person in their party for rides and just for fun! Never know you might have someone just like you out there, that goes by themselves and you could have a friend for life!

fosse76

But I'm 36 now. Let's face it, it's got to seem odd to see a 36 year old man riding by himself on Peter Pan or Winnie The Pooh. Any of you have a fear that you'll age out of Disney soon?
It's funny you say that, because those are the only two attractions I feel self-conscious when riding.

sgtmgd

We all know that the misconception of people who aren't Disney regulars is that Disney is for kids. But at what point do you think to yourself "I really can't do this anymore"?

Let me explain: My wife has been awesome enough to let me take a solo trip every January or February for the past 8 years. Though I miss the hell out of her and the kids, it's become "my" vacation. She knows how much I love WDW, and as wonderful as the 2 weeks with the family are in the summer, I've come to really cherish the moments by myself that I get to sit on a park bench with a box of popcorn and soak up the atmosphere on Main Street, or take my time with all the movies and shops at World Showcase. Those who have ever traveled solo know what I mean.

Just turned 44 and I would not feel too old to go. There are alot of things in EPCOT in particular that kids today just arent interested in. I just went over Labor Day with my significant other and we had pictures taken via photopass with Aurora, Marie, Snow White, and every other character we saw..it was fun for us...no kids, no worries, just enjoying Disney

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I would say no. I am 43 and was just in Disneyland a few months ago with my wife. At one point we split up and she went to do one thing and I went myself over to Tom Sawyer island and had a blast crawling through the kid sized caves and tunnels on the island.

dreamscometrue

Today is my 48th birthday...one of my gifts is a "Who says you have to grow up?" coffee mug...looking forward to riding the new Dumbo at Christmas. 'Nuff said. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom