Too old for another CP?

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
*sigh* I wanna go back to FL and I think the only way I'm going to be able to is by doing another College Program (for now). I just turned 30 so I need to do SOMETHING with my life.

Since this board is full of fellow Disney-addicts I thought I'd share my plan with you 1st:

I just applied to go back to my local University, part time
I'd take classes for a semester or two and then apply for the WDWCP (again)
Move to FL, do my CP, look for either a full-time job in Orlando or go back to school in Orlando - it's really hard to job-seek from 1500 miles away (currently)

Question for FL peeps - what 'proof' do you need to obtain Florida residency?

maelstrom

If the CP has no age limit, then I think you're fine. I'm 23 and feel as though I'm already out of the "traditional" college-age bracket... if I ever go back and finally feel like I can do the CP, you bet I will, even if I'm 30.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
If the CP has no age limit, then I think you're fine. I'm 23 and feel as though I'm already out of the "traditional" college-age bracket... if I ever go back and finally feel like I can do the CP, you bet I will, even if I'm 30.

Thank you! I did my 1st CP when I was 25 :)

Wilt Dasney

How close are you to a degree? My suggestion might be to tweak your plan a little, and focus on getting out of school for now. If I'm not mistaken, the CP is open to anyone who was in college the previous semester? If you graduate college, then spend the following semester on the CP, you would be in a better position to look for full-time work and make the move permanent. The economy is rough at the moment, but in the long run, having a degree will always be a plus.

Assuming you have steady employment or financial support where you are now, you would probably be in a better position to focus on finishing school than you would be looking for a job waiting tables or as a full-time CM, while trying to juggle school.

Now...if your employment/financial situation where you ARE isn't that solid, then I would say do whatever you like, since you're not likely to be in a LESS stable situation in Florida.

So that's my advice. Will that be cash or check? :)

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
How close are you to a degree?

Assuming you have steady employment or financial support where you are now, you would probably be in a better position to focus on finishing school than you would be looking for a job waiting tables or as a full-time CM, while trying to juggle school.

Now...if your employment/financial situation where you ARE isn't that solid, then I would say do whatever you like, since you're not likely to be in a LESS stable situation in Florida.

So that's my advice. Will that be cash or check? :)

I'm nowhere close to graduating. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. My thoughts are this:

I shouldn't have moved back home after my 1st CP
WDWCP is pretty much guaranteed full-time work and housing for up to 12 months
During those 12 months I can look for a place to live, look for a (better paying) full time job and/or go back to school in FL
This is going to take me 18-24 months to go through with it so I can start saving now.

:shrug: It's time for a change in my life

Wilt Dasney

I'm nowhere close to graduating. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. My thoughts are this:

I shouldn't have moved back home after my 1st CP
WDWCP is pretty much guaranteed full-time work and housing for up to 12 months
During those 12 months I can look for a place to live, look for a (better paying) full time job and/or go back to school in FL
This is going to take me 18-24 months to go through with it so I can start saving now.

:shrug: It's time for a change in my life

Well, good luck if that's what you decide. I've always been a little conservative when it comes to big life changes...until I have some kind of plan, then I tend to go for it. Sounds like you have a plan, anyway.

SinginSarah

Working in costuming I've met a number of CPs who are in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s. There was actually a woman I met who was doing the program and living with her daughter (also a CP) at one of the complexes.

Adina

I have to agree with everybody here, you're definitely not too old to do the cp! I also know of many people in their 40's and 50's doing the program, I never thought of them as out of place or anything.

Agent1964fem

Hi I think its a wonderful idea ....Your never to old to learn !! And its Disney College Program .... the best part. I wish it were me!!!
In the winter I will be returning to college ...Cardio Technology. And I'll be 45 very soon !!!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Question for FL peeps - what 'proof' do you need to obtain Florida residency?

The 3 documents that are accepted at all state schools are:

#1- Florida Drivers License
#2- Florida Vehicle Registration
#3- Florida Voter Registration Card

All must have at least 12 months validity.

Some schools will take other documents, but these are the three that will get accepted. Among the other documents that are sometimes accepted are verification of employment on company letterhead (quite hard to get from WDW), copy of a lease agreement, utility bill/bank statement from Florida.

MKCP 1985

Is the reason you'd subject yourself to all the "other" that comes with the CP the guarantee for housing and hours?

. . . because my second summer working at the Magic Kingdom was a whole lot more liberating not having to work the least desirable shifts and not having to get up early to attend the seminars.

Then again, it was a generation ago when I did the CP, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

Back then, it was not too difficult to find an apartment for sub-lease and the only problem with getting hours was trying to keep them under 60 per week. :)

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The 3 documents that are accepted at all state schools are:

#1- Florida Drivers License
#2- Florida Vehicle Registration
#3- Florida Voter Registration Card

All must have at least 12 months validity.

Some schools will take other documents, but these are the three that will get accepted. Among the other documents that are sometimes accepted are verification of employment on company letterhead (quite hard to get from WDW), copy of a lease agreement, utility bill/bank statement from Florida.

As always, thanks MKT - what do you need to get a Florida State ID or driver's license?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You will need:

#1- Proof of residential address. That would usually be a utility bill. However, since you don't receive those in the CP, an acceptable alternative per the FLHSMV web site would be mail from a financial institution. When you open (or if you have) a Partners FCU account, when you receive your first statement in the mail with your Florida address, that'll do perfectly.

#2- Proof of your social security number. That'll be your social security card.

#3- Primary Identification. Best bet for this is either your birth certificate, or if you have one, a valid passport.

#4- Secondary Identification. That's your current SD drivers license.

Also, I suggest making an appointment. Florida's actually quite efficient if you do this. Otherwise, you'll spend several hours at the DMV.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You will need:

#1- Proof of residential address. That would usually be a utility bill. However, since you don't receive those in the CP, an acceptable alternative per the FLHSMV web site would be mail from a financial institution. When you open (or if you have) a Partners FCU account, when you receive your first statement in the mail with your Florida address, that'll do perfectly.

#2- Proof of your social security number. That'll be your social security card.

#3- Primary Identification. Best bet for this is either your birth certificate, or if you have one, a valid passport.

#4- Secondary Identification. That's your current SD drivers license.

Also, I suggest making an appointment. Florida's actually quite efficient if you do this. Otherwise, you'll spend several hours at the DMV.

You're the bestest!!! I still have my Partners FCU account open so I'd just have to change from e-statements to paper statements when/if I do another CP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom