Too Many "Commercials"

RJW08271

Original Poster
Just wondering if anyone else agrees that some of the rides go way overboard in reminding us who their corporate sponsors are.

Last week, when entering Dinosaur, we had to hear something like "Time travel made possible by a generous grant from McDonald's Corporation" about every 15 seconds on our way to the ride vehicles!

That was on top of seeing McDonald's name on the building and those posters that are takoffs on their ads as you walk out of the ride.

I think Dinosaur is the worst example, but while I know Disney loves to get money from companies to help pay for the rides, turning the ride into a commercial for the sponsor is was too much. FastTrack is an ad for GM (the ending showroom is over the top), Nestle is all over The Land, etc. A little is ok.. but some of the newer rides seem to be more ad than ride.

Anyone agree?

Disney4648

I disagree totally.....just think that if the Disney Company did not have those ad's or their sponsors....many of those rides/attractions would not be available at WDW....and im sure that if they werent necessary that WDW would take them off...

Tom Morrow

Test Track and Countdown- I mean Dinosaur- are really the only ones that went overboard with the advertising, IMO. That, and the Illuminations announcement: "Because GE brings good things to life, you're going to watch a fireworks show!"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corporate participants dont bother me at all. The McDonalds audio announcement is pretty harmless considering they shelled out 10s of millions to fund part of DinoLand.

GM played a large part in Test Tracks developement, ranging from developing the cars, to planning the test track and helping with the funding. SO I think they deserve a minishowroom! :)

In my opinion Innoventions is far worse than any of the attractions mentioned so far in this thread. Innoventions is just showcase for often outdated products by major corporations. Feels way to much like a trade show for me.

:)

Lance

I don't think they've gone overboard, I think the sponsors blend in nicely.......like FedEx with SM.

TURKEY

Most aren't that bad.

It helps pay for rides and upkeep. Without them, you could see a lot more of Dinorama's and Aladdin's.

Like Steve, the one I object to is Innoventions. The only thing I ever went in there for were the video games.

Coronado

The entire park system was built on the backs of corporate sponsorship....let one sponsor take a hike and the attraction will close, become a meet and greet, or like Living Seas fall into disrepair. Corporate America pays for it all....Check out what you drink, eat, who sponsors the resturant, or the attraction. Sponsors are important.... buy their products....without them we couldn't enjoy WDW.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by wdwmaniac
I have seen many Disney Commericals on TV lately. KMART, WDW Commericals, McDonald's, and Hasbro. You notice that too?

mcdees is a given when it comes to tv commercials everytime a disney movie comes out mcd has toys for it in the happy meals ..the commercials that make me *sigh* and get tears in my eyes are the ones for WDW and there does seem to be alot more of them ..like back during the 20 year celebration seemed every five minutes there was a WDW commercial

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Coronado
The entire park system was built on the backs of corporate sponsorship....let one sponsor take a hike and the attraction will close, become a meet and greet, or like Living Seas fall into disrepair. Corporate America pays for it all....Check out what you drink, eat, who sponsors the resturant, or the attraction. Sponsors are important.... buy their products....without them we couldn't enjoy WDW.

Exactly if you watch the project florida videos walt mentions they need sponsors about 5 times. Sponsors are important. And look what happened when McDonalds gave Disney the money. They got a ride like Dinosaur. Let them announce the name I don't care.

goaler

Can you imagine what a park ticket would cost if Disney didn't have the money it gets from the corporate sponsors. They would either raise the prices or we'd all be riding Aladdin rides.

I don't mind looking at a logo or hearing the short announcements.

no2apprentice

We all want WDW to maintain the high standards that they have set for quality and entertainment. But that seems to be coming at an ever increasing price. Until WDW finds another source, I feel we will just be seeing more and more "air time" for the corporate sponsers.

But in the meantime, dash for the Splash!:lol:

Luau Cove

Don't be bothered by sponsors , they made many things possible and are responsable of many ride's mantainance being so good with some rides being extra-old, so really: Pay God Disney keep getting sponsors.

-->LUAU

Beauty and the

We all like to save a little money when we go to disney, refillable mugs etc. if there wasn't as much sponsorship and advertisment then we would have to spend a gret deal more, so i think we just have to put up with it.

wanabeimagineer

IMO the only ones that are really bad is Illuminations and the DreamChasers thing at the exit of Test Track. It is just a giant advertisement for GM. As my friend put it, "Watch out! You're caught in the GM tornado, now you're spinning, hey look at that GM truck!"

wdwmaniac

Can anyone tell me all the Companies that sponser Disney and what ride or story they sponser?
GM- Test Track
Nestles USA- the Land
American Adventure- American Express and Coca-Cola
It's a Small World- Mattle????
Tomorrowland Speedway- Goodyear????
Dino-land USA- McDonalds

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom