Disney Stars & Motor Cars parade - Chevrolet
One Man's Dream - Hallmark
Dinoland USA - McDonalds
Legend of the Lion King (closed) - Kodak
Barnstormer - Friskies
IllumiNations: ROE - GE

I'm sure I missed a few...

ToTBellHop

If Compaq is putting up $100 million for Mission: SPACE, I don't really care if they project "COMPAQ" on the clouds with a searchlight...and the GE announcement before Reflections...that is the best fireworks show I have ever seen, so I couldn't care less if 5, 10, and 15 minutes BEFORE THE SHOW EVEN STARTS, they tell me GE is bringing good things to life...they are funding something amazing, and any theme park with good rides (and even some w/ not so good rides) has sponsors.

Maria

Originally posted by DogsRule!
and the GE announcement before Reflections...that is the best fireworks show I have ever seen, so I couldn't care less if 5, 10, and 15 minutes BEFORE THE SHOW EVEN STARTS, they tell me GE is bringing good things to life...

ROFLMAO :lol: You really made me laugh now!
I can hear like if it was yesterday the voice of the guy on the speakers around the park! (I personally loooved the voice of the man, not the woman´s).

"GE... we bring good things to life".
:lol: :lol:
Thanks...;)

Mr. Toad

You know what I hate...everytime I go to McDonalds to get some good, fast food I am constantly bombarded with another Disney promotion. I mean really, is McDonalds that hard up for money that they need Disney to sponser their food? Can't I just enjoy my meal without being subjected to all of this advertising for their theme parks and movies? They might as well call it McDisneys.

Sorry, just had to do that.

But really, I don't mind the sponsership. I like getting new attractions (good ones) added to the parks. That is what will be needed to get the things we want to see (like Beastly Kingdom or a Villan's Land). I remember when WDW first opened we had:

If You Had Wings, the Eastern logo proudly displayed outside and I believe the CMs there actually wore the Eastern logo on their name tags.

The Tropical Seranade (Tiki Room) was sponsered by the Florida Orange growers I believe.

Monsanto brought us Circle Vision.

And while I don't remember if they sponsered a ride, the official film of WDW was from GAF and they had their logo on all of the guide books, maps, etc...

The only problem I have with corporate sponsership and WDW is that my company doesn't sponser anything there (I want a VIP lounge - might have to get an annual pass).

MrPromey

Originally posted by Mr. Toad
You know what I hate...everytime I go to McDonalds to get some good, fast food I am constantly bombarded with another Disney promotion. I mean really, is McDonalds that hard up for money that they need Disney to sponser their food? Can't I just enjoy my meal without being subjected to all of this advertising for their theme parks and movies? They might as well call it McDisneys.

Sorry, just had to do that.

But really, I don't mind the sponsership. I like getting new attractions (good ones) added to the parks. That is what will be needed to get the things we want to see (like Beastly Kingdom or a Villan's Land). I remember when WDW first opened we had:

If You Had Wings, the Eastern logo proudly displayed outside and I believe the CMs there actually wore the Eastern logo on their name tags.

The Tropical Seranade (Tiki Room) was sponsered by the Florida Orange growers I believe.

Monsanto brought us Circle Vision.

And while I don't remember if they sponsered a ride, the official film of WDW was from GAF and they had their logo on all of the guide books, maps, etc...

Don't forget RCA's very high profile sponsorship of Thunder Mountain where you passed rooms as the end showing you how RCA was brining you the future today with great new products. :sohappy:

MrPromey

Originally posted by RJW08271
FastTrack is an ad for GM (the ending showroom is over the top), Nestle is all over The Land, etc. A little is ok.. but some of the newer rides seem to be more ad than ride.

Anyone agree?

World Of Motion had a showroom from day one. :)

gcurling

Pepsi / Frito Lay sponsored Country Bear Jamboree for about 10 years. Edison Electric did the same for WedWay. McDonnell Douglas sponsored Mission to Mars. When Monsanto dropped CircleVision, Black & Decker took over for a few years. Gulf Oil sponsored the Walt Disney Story.

Mr. Toad

Kodak sponsers the maps now but GAF was the original sponser.

Attachments

• mkguide76.jpg
    mkguide76.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 77

Mr. Toad

I own the guide. It is from 1976. We went down there every year and I would always bring one back in perfect condition. I had from 1972 until they stopped making the booklets but this is the only one I can still find.

It is very interesting reading. In 1976 you could get "The Vacation Kingdom Book (good for one person) which included 2 days' admission to the Magic Kingdom, 2 days' use of transportation systems, admission to 16 attractions, coupon for World Cruise to Treasure Island and coupon for transportation and admission to River Country."

Adult $18.25 Junior (12-17) $16.75 Child (3-11) $15.25

I will have to ask my parents if this was considered expensive back then.

It is fun to see what attractions used what tickets. If there is enough demand I could scan the book and post it on a web site.

MrPromey

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

Exactly if you watch the project florida videos walt mentions they need sponsors about 5 times. Sponsors are important. And look what happened when McDonalds gave Disney the money. They got a ride like Dinosaur. Let them announce the name I don't care.

Actually, in the sense he was talking about sponsors there, I think he meant to keep his prototype city going. It was expected that corporate sponsors would help subsidize the high costs of maintaining his prototype city that was to be populated by ‘normal’ people. In truth, though, Walt used sponsorships and corporate tie-ins from almost day one. Disneyland had them in his time. Shoot, a few of the DL attractions were pulled 100% straight from the Worlds Fair where they had been set up with the prime goal of representing the sponsor. :)

Luau Cove

Originally posted by Mr. Toad
I own the guide. It is from 1976. We went down there every year and I would always bring one back in perfect condition. I had from 1972 until they stopped making the booklets but this is the only one I can still find.

I will like to trade or buy old booklets. Contact me if you are interested.

-->LUAU

tinkrbel

I couldnt care less about any of the "commercials" and I enjoy innoventions ..its really a pretty good place to get out of the heat and rest sometimes, the kids love it because they get to do the video games, its pretty great that you can send friends (and your self) email postcards from there ..you can do that to at Journey ...thanks to Kodak .. in fact I found out about sending from the kodak website from home doing that and I enjoy uploading pictures and using the kodak picture playground online to send out fun e-cards :)

wdwmaniac

Originally posted by MrPromey

Don't forget RCA's very high profile sponsorship of Thunder Mountain where you passed rooms as the end showing you how RCA was brining you the future today with great new products. :sohappy:

It's SONY the offical sound system of the WDW parks it was droped I read in a book about Eisner.

Mr. Toad

I forgot that RCA was once a sponser of Space Mountain. When they put in the space colony at the end wsan't it originally called RYCA 1 or something like that?

As far as Disney and corporate sponsership, I just got the Mickey Mouse in Living Color DVD set. For those that haven't seen it there is a "hidden" Mickey Mouse cartoon from 1939 (made for the 1939 World's Fair) called Mickey's Surprise Party that was sponsered by (and produced for) the National Biscuit Company a.k.a. Nabisco. The ending is basically a commercial for Nabisco products with them being prominently displayed and named (Lorna Doones, Ritz Crackers, Oreos) by Mickey and Minnie. Talk about two movie stars selling out big time :D . So I guess Disney and corporate sponsers go way back before WDW.

For those who are wondering, Mickey claims that his favorite cookies are Fig Newtons. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom