Tony Baxter D23 Interview: slams NextGen and The Myth of the Story

Figments Friend

I think that the audience reaction is telling as well.

How was the audience selected? Was the ceremony advertised? Free to attend? Stockholders? D23 only?
D23 attendees...who lined up for some time in advance to be in the room for the ceremony. It was advertised/announced a few weeks before D23 that this would be taking place.

I enjoyed the reactions from the audience. Also happy to see Tony get those standing ovations.

It is truly telling when even a mostly DL/Cali based crowd reacts enthusiastically to the suggestion of Dreamfinder and Figment 'returning'.
This shows how the team responsible for the creation of the original JII attraction made quite a impression on folks with that little dark ride of yore...
It is STILL impressing...even after all these years.
It was a nice confirmation.

The crowd went absolutely nuts when Dreamfinder and his dragon buddy appeared.
Dare i say it, but i think they even upstaged the Dark Lord..!

WED Purist

Just to be 100% crystal clear, but Tony Baxter is no fan of NGE or what is being done in FL at all.

And that is putting it kindly-

I now know how he feels about NGE, but your second statement puzzled me. Just before the grand opening of the Fantasyland expansion, I got to walk Tony through the Be Our Guest third of the project. He was giddy and snapping pictures like a tourist, thoroughly enoying the end result of what we'd built. What did you hear to make you think he didn't like what is being done in FL?

Donald96

I now know how he feels about NGE, but your second statement puzzled me. Just before the grand opening of the Fantasyland expansion, I got to walk Tony through the Be Our Guest third of the project. He was giddy and snapping pictures like a tourist, thoroughly enoying the end result of what we'd built. What did you hear to make you think he didn't like what is being done in FL?
Think he means Florida...

dadddio

Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet.

Axle1986

drama.gif

WED Purist

In reality, it has little to do with "sharing management's vision" and more about getting rid of the old guard who were upstaging the new kids. Even though the newbies ...

The new kids ... These newbies hate the fans, especially the fans in management positions above them, like Tony.

Who are the new kids you're referring to?

BlueSkyDriveBy

Who are the new kids you're referring to?
Bruce Vaughn and his flying monkeys. I would also include Kathy Mangum, even though she's worked for WDI for many years. All of these "kids" pretty much hate the second generation Imagineers like Baxter, Rothschild, Delaney, Rohde, Jacobson, Fitzgerald, Morris, Lanzisero, et al, and have been slowly working to push them to the curb, one by one.

Anyone over 55, maybe even 50, pretty much has a bulls-eye on his/her back for early retirement. Upper management simply doesn't want to keep paying these guys what they think is exorbitant compensation, even though their skills and mentoring are invaluable, not to mention very costly mistakes have been averted because of their vast range of experiences. (Tom Morris saving Kathy Mangum's behind by correcting avoidable design flaws in Cars Land is a classic example.)

Can you elaborate on this? I'm intrigued (not doubting you, just wanted to know what happened).

Tom Morris joined the Cars Land project very late in the game. He fixed a number of things Kathy and her team had ineffectively designed, particularly in the layout of the land and RSR.

Tom Morris is probably the best dark ride designer on the planet; he has a very effective sense of layout and flow for interior dark rides. Look at the Fantasyland dark rides in Paris. They are some of the best ever designed. His assistance on RSR shows.

Sped2424

He doesn't mean new fantasyland I think he means the entire project as a whole and how its being done in Florida

Sped2424

Bruce Vaughn and his flying monkeys. I would also include Kathy Mangum, even though she's worked for WDI for many years. All of these "kids" pretty much hate the second generation Imagineers like Baxter, Rothschild, Delaney, Rohde, Jacobson, Fitzgerald, Morris, Lanzisero, et al, and have been slowly working to push them to the curb, one by one.

Anyone over 55, maybe even 50, pretty much has a bulls-eye on his/her back for early retirement. Upper management simply doesn't want to keep paying these guys what they think is exorbitant compensation, even though their skills and mentoring are invaluable, not to mention very costly mistakes have been averted because of their vast range of experiences. (Tom Morris saving Kathy Mangum's behind by correcting avoidable design flaws in Cars Land is a classic example.)
I think thats extremely sad if thats the case. If I was working there I would have nothing but the upmost admiration and respect for everyone there before me, after all they built the rides that inspired me to love Disney World in the first place.

lazyboy97o

I think thats extremely sad if thats the case. If I was working there I would have nothing but the upmost admiration and respect for everyone there before me, after all they built the rides that inspired me to love Disney World in the first place.
What I bolded is sort of the big flaw in your thought process. While Disney likes to present the image of a company composed of fans, it is not really the case. Far too many Imagineers look down on those who enjoy the theme parks and most definitely have no personal love for them.

Last edited:

HMF

Tom Morris joined the Cars Land project very late in the game. He fixed a number of things Kathy and her team had ineffectively designed, particularly in the layout of the land and RSR.

Tom Morris is probably the best dark ride designer on the planet; he has a very effective sense of layout and flow for interior dark rides. Look at the Fantasyland dark rides in Paris. They are some of the best ever designed. His assistance on RSR shows.
Meanwhile, Kathy gets all the credit and the promotion to lead the Epcot and DHS Portfolio.

Last edited:

Sped2424

What I bolded is sort of the big flaw in your thought process. While Disney likes to present the image of a company composed of fans, it is not really the case. Far too many Imagineers look down on those you enjoy the theme parks and most definitely have no personal love for them.
I was referring to myself had I been working there. Also your second sentence has me a little puzzled, do you mean look down on those who?

Figments Friend

It is the NGE project that i believe Spirit was referring to...not related to the New Fantasyland additions.

The sentiment was that Tony is not overly thrilled with the MM+ and NextGen aspects being introduced in the FL Parks....to put it very mildly.
The work done for New Fantasyland in FL is another matter that you yourself have experienced first hand with him personally.

I bet he snapped some fab pictures that day..!
:)

Meanwhile, Kathy gets all the credit and the promotion to lead the Epcot and DHS Portfolio.

'Tis WDI politics. Tom Morris and Eric Jacobson, particularly, are 2 very talented designers who don't play that corporate game. People like Kathy and Tom Fitzgerald, however, are in their current positions purely because of politics.

RSoxNo1

Interesting, thanks. Do you know what type of specific things were changed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom