Tony Baxter D23 Interview: slams NextGen and The Myth of the Story

tongaloosh

We thank our many guests who visit Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney Parks and Resorts are a testament to the creative life of Disney Parks and Resorts. At Disney Parks and Resorts you can do many things, like visit a Disney Park, stay at a Disney Resort, or even visit one of our Disney Parks and Resorts water parks, only available at Disney Parks and Resorts.
Kind of like "Aulani, A Disney Resort & Span in Ko Olina, Hawai'i"? Maybe all Disney properties should now by known by their acronyms as a company standard, and only the truly dedicated Disney fan will take the time to learn what they stand for. It would certainly cut down on those corporate speech lengths.

HMF

One wonders if he'll come back in an Eric Larson capacity once Iger/Staggs/Rasulo and Strategic Planning Co. are gone.
It's a nice thought but I doubt it. People Tony's age are being "retired" in businesses all over the country. It is now the companies who decide when people retire now rather than the person themselves. They make it look nice by throwing big retirement parties or in Tony's case give him an award and a window on Main Street.

the.dreamfinder

It's a nice thought but I doubt it. People Tony's age are being "retired" in businesses all over the country. It is now the companies who decide when people retire now rather than the person themselves. They make it look nice by throwing big retirement parties or in Tony's case give him an award and a window on Main Street.
He's only "semi-retired" and has a nuclear armory of information against TWDC. As Spirit says, he knows where all the skeletons are buried.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
He's only "semi-retired" and has a nuclear armory of information against TWDC. As Spirit says, he knows where all the skeletons are buried.

What exactly does semi-retired mean in Tony's case? Is he not collecting his pension and social security?
Is he receiving a salary beyond his pension?

lazyboy97o

What exactly does semi-retired mean in Tony's case? Is he not collecting his pension and social security?
Is he receiving a salary beyond his pension?
When he left it was stated by Walt Disney Imagineering that he would be available, through the powers that be, for consultation. Like "leaving to spend more time with family" as code for being fired, I think its a fluffy way of saying that they don't want Baxter around Walt Disney Imagineering but they also don't him out consulting for anybody else.

the.dreamfinder

When he left it was stated by Walt Disney Imagineering that he would be available, through the powers that be, for consultation. Like "leaving to spend more time with family" as code for being fired, I think its a fluffy way of saying that they don't want Baxter around Walt Disney Imagineering but they also don't him out consulting for anybody else.
Like...
universal-pictures-100th-anniversary-logo1.jpg

Gabe1

That I understand. What I don't know is what semi retired monetarily means to Tony. I never heard Tony claim to be semi retired. If he is not collecting his pension and is taking a reduced salary to stay home and shut up I have not heard that. Tony only said he was available to consult if Disney asked. So did I miss something or is Semi-retired conjecture?

lazyboy97o

That I understand. What I don't know is what semi retired monetarily means to Tony. I never heard Tony claim to be semi retired. If he is not collecting his pension and is taking a reduced salary to stay home and shut up I have not heard that. Tony only said he was available to consult if Disney asked. So did I miss something or is Semi-retired conjecture?
I thought he used the phrase during the D23 Expo. At the very least he is getting all the swag of being a Disney Legend and getting a window on Main Street, USA. I would guess those are more valuable to a fanboy like Baxter than a continued stipend.

Gabe1

Well after Disney let go so many of their imagineers upon finishing other new parks a chunk of the imagineers reinvented themselves and now are indeed working for Universal on these new attractions. It will take a while but little by little we are seeing the Old Disney quality style popping up in Universal. If you look at the
"holy rock!" imagineered, I'd say HP's beautiful Rock Mountain wins hands down over the Holy Rock mountains in Disney's FLE. Even the forced perspective is better at HP.

fractal

Maybe I'm the only one, but to me it didn't sound like he was slamming NextGen at all. He was slamming intrusive technology, which I don't think nextgen really is. With nextgen, you *don't* have to take out your phone or a device and type in your name for a pirate to speak to you, as Tony pointed out as intrusive. You don't have to do a thing, the wristband does everything. That's what makes nextgen so awesome, in my opinion at least. Think of the little kids, who don't know anything about the technology, think of the excitement and amazement they'll feel the first time they meet a character and that character calls them by name. The first time they step into an attraction and it is somehow personalized for them. They won't know it's because of their bracelet, they'll think the characters are just that good, they'll think its just part of the Disney magic, and it will make their freaking day. I think that is the point that needs to be focused on.

Magic is technology, always has been and always will be. Years ago it was a cage with a secret compartment to hold a dove, today it's a bracelet with near limitless possibilities. Magic has to change with the times.

I agree. The video was not what I expected based on the title of the thread.

Gabe1

I thought he used the phrase during the D23 Expo. At the very least he is getting all the swag of being a Disney Legend and getting a window on Main Street, USA. I would guess those are more valuable to a fanboy like Baxter than a continued stipend.

I doubt Baxter would let himself be used by Disney for profit and receive nothing in return. But an appearance stipend is much different than Semi-Retired. He has been a busy social butterfly so I can see Baxter joking he is Semi-retired however that is entirely different than his status as an employee being changed Semi Retired. I'm curious as to how all this will pan out. We will see him paraded out likely at least one more time for the ribbon cutting for his window.

lazyboy97o

Well after Disney let go so many of their imagineers upon finishing other new parks a chunk of the imagineers reinvented themselves and now are indeed working for Universal on these new attractions. It will take a while but little by little we are seeing the Old Disney quality style popping up in Universal. If you look at the
"holy rock!" imagineered, I'd say HP's beautiful Rock Mountain wins hands down over the Holy Rock mountains in Disney's FLE. Even the forced perspective is better at HP.
They didn't so much go to Universal Creative, which is a very small group, as they went everywhere to be hired by anybody, including Universal. Disney has destroyed their institutional history, legacy and advantage.

WDWDad13

I laugh every time I see the title to this post as tony "SLAMS nexgen" lol - no where did he slam anything other than thinking people shouldn't have to text a code during a ride to get something to happen... this is where RFID comes in and you don't have to. So where is the grand slam...or does that just help people make their case that everyone hates nexgen and it's evil

lazyboy97o

I doubt Baxter would let himself be used by Disney for profit and receive nothing in return. But an appearance stipend is much different than Semi-Retired. He has been a busy social butterfly so I can see Baxter joking he is Semi-retired however that is entirely different than his status as an employee being changed Semi Retired. I'm curious as to how all this will pan out. We will see him paraded out likely at least one more time for the ribbon cutting for his window.
Being "retired" would likely indicate to others that Baxter is available to hire, like other long-time Imagineers who have "retired." Baxter is not available, so he is not really "retired" but he also isn't going to be doing a whole lot for Disney, so he isn't working either. This is Disney, they like to use fluffy, feel-good terms. It's why other Imagineers have "retired" (only to goright to work elsewhere) instead of being ousted or fired.

bgraham34

I laugh every time I see the title to this post as tony "SLAMS nexgen" lol - no where did he slam anything other than thinking people shouldn't have to text a code during a ride to get something to happen... this is where RFID comes in and you don't have to. So where is the grand slam...or does that just help people make their case that everyone hates nexgen and it's evil

I agree with what you are saying and dont see where he slammed next gen either. I do agree with some of what he is saying, especially saying the auctioneer calling out your name that would definitely change the aspect of the raid and I don't want to hear 10 peoples names being called while I am trying to enjoy the ride.

Figments Friend

Here is a recent interview article from the LA Times where Tony talks about some key points in regards to keeping attractions fresh, but not destroying what made said attractions special to begin with.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/unca...ter-on-his-decades-shaping-disneyland-design/

There are also some great video clips out there now of Tony's acceptance speech after receiving his 'Disney Legend' award this past weekend.
Most here have probably already seen them and heard what he has to say, but for those that have not yet....i recommend a viewing.
Listen to what he has to say in this video during his acceptance speech :

prberk

Here is a recent interview article from the LA Times where Tony talks about some key points in regards to keeping attractions fresh, but not destroying what made said attractions special to begin with.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/unca...ter-on-his-decades-shaping-disneyland-design/

There are also some great video clips out there now of Tony's acceptance speech after receiving his 'Disney Legend' award this past weekend.
Most here have probably already seen them and heard what he has to say, but for those that have not yet....i recommend a viewing.
Listen to what he has to say in this video during his acceptance speech :

I think that the audience reaction is telling as well.

How was the audience selected? Was the ceremony advertised? Free to attend? Stockholders? D23 only?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom