Ton Newton - Out

denyuntilcaught

I think they're going to fill the position, not eliminate it as the release states. It's a standard role in many F500 companies, and for all we know it's not some great conspiracy. I feel as if many CDOs don't have as long of a tenure as other C-suite roles, and so after six years this could really just be all she wanted from the role. No more, no less.

MagicHappens1971

The writing is on the wall.

DEI is costing companies way more than it's worth.

The DEI people will have to find a new grift soon enough.
“DEI” measures may not be effective in all cases but DEI is just a reflection of the changing landscape of the world. While we may see a new lens applied to how we approach DEI and measured associated with it, it’s not going anywhere.

LSLS

Making Thor a white male was wrong?

I don't read comics!
That's great, but following the established storyline from the source material isn't really a bad thing, is it? I mean, do you hate End Game too cause Captain America became Steve Rogers Thor? As others have said, it's very different when person takes on the mantle than having the exact character replaced.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
“DEI” measures may not be effective in all cases but DEI is just a reflection of the changing landscape of the world. While we may see a new lens applied to how we approach DEI and measured associated with it, it’s not going anywhere.
DEI initiatives through HR are not going anywhere. DEI initiatives through creative endeavors (ala part of the charge of Ms. Newton) will certainly be modified or rebranded to appeal more broadly to the mainstream. To be clear, the stepped up focus on DEI across Disney is in now way the direct cause of Disney's current string of failure, but it's implementation was less than ideal to affect a positive and profitable change for the company.

el_super

I think they're going to fill the position, not eliminate it as the release states.

It might actually make sense to eliminate it. There are many DEI executives at lower levels in the company that can provide more targeted directives and be more easily accessible to individual teams than an overarching C-Suite position.

Carmen Smith already has some of these responsibilities and is overseeing DEI strategies for all of DPEP.

Unless she suddenly disappears, I wouldn't expect any changes to the DEI initiatives seen within the parks (and probably only if Josh goes too).

Change is inevitable.

monothingie

Premium Member
It might actually make sense to eliminate it. There are many DEI executives at lower levels in the company that can provide more targeted directives and be more easily accessible to individual teams than an overarching C-Suite position.

Carmen Smith already has some of these responsibilities and is overseeing DEI strategies for all of DPEP.

Unless she suddenly disappears, I wouldn't expect any changes to the DEI initiatives seen within the parks (and probably only if Josh goes too).

Change is inevitable.
Carmen Smith seems to be exclusively focused on TBA these days. (We know Tony Baxter has been shut out). Her portfolio of work with WDI is limited. Her future likely will ride on how well or poorly TBA is received.

MagicHappens1971

Based on what?

If she is focusing on internal DEI initiatives, that isn't something that would normally be advertised on the Disney Parks Blog.
IMG_0872.jpeg

Her official job title reads as though she is only responsible for making sure the products that DPEP pushes out are “inclusive”

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Based on what?

If she is focusing on internal DEI initiatives, that isn't something that would normally be advertised on the Disney Parks Blog.
Depends on the target audience they are trying to proselytize. An S-score webcrawler would be one such target.

coachb

I think there has been a realization that making good stories is hard… really hard, like so hard that almost everyone failes.

Whenever you add another goal onto the production of a movie or attraction (such as DEI goals, but the same would apply to any other objective) it only decreases the odds of making something that is unbelievably difficult to start with.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - the market results are forcing Disney’s hand to regain their focus on one main goal that trumps all others- to tell a great, compelling story.

We will see where it goes, but this outcome seems inevitable whenever you compete in a competitive and fickle market place.

BuddyThomas

I think there has been a realization that making good stories is hard… really hard, like so hard that almost everyone failes.

Whenever you add another goal onto the production of a movie or attraction (such as DEI goals, but the same would apply to any other objective) it only decreases the odds of making something that is unbelievably difficult to start with.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - the market results are forcing Disney’s hand to regain their focus on one main goal that trumps all others- to tell a great, compelling story.

We will see where it goes, but this outcome seems inevitable whenever you compete in a competitive and fickle market place.
People are pretending that they are not already telling great compelling stories. The Little Mermaid remake is freaking astounding how good it is. Elemental has its problems but it is an extremely creative idea and is executed quite well with some gorgeous animation and world building. I also loved Strange World, as did many others. Lightyear is lowest on the totem pole for most, but still, it certainly was not a piece of trash. The narrative that the output from Disney/Pixar is now all rotten is just false.

WorldExplorer

Even if you like what she was supposed to be doing, she did an incredibly shoddy job.

I only fear they may hire someone actually competent at removing things.

(Also, is this the lady responsible for giving the inclusion, sensitivity thumbs up to the salt mine?)

monothingie

Premium Member
People are pretending that they are not already telling great compelling stories. The Little Mermaid remake is freaking astounding how good it is. Elemental has its problems but it is an extremely creative idea and is executed quite well with some gorgeous animation and world building. I also loved Strange World, as did many others. Lightyear is lowest on the totem pole for most, but still, it certainly was not a piece of trash. The narrative that the output from Disney/Pixar is now all rotten is just false.
Based on box office, mainstream audiences do not share your opinion.

monothingie

Premium Member
Even if you like what she was supposed to be doing, she did an incredibly shoddy job.

I only fear they may hire someone actually competent at removing things.

(Also, is this the lady responsible for giving the inclusion, sensitivity thumbs up to the salt mine?)
My guess is that the position will still exist in the company, but be significantly lower key in terms of company wide reach than presently structured.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I get what you're saying broadly, but I take issue with the bolded. Rejecting things that are reasonable and erasing nuance from the conversation because you're afraid it might embolden and empower a cabal of incels is essentially the slippery slope fallacy. Is there a real fear that the level-headed people in the room won't know when we've crossed the line from the rational to the irrational? That reasonably intelligent folks can't detect intellectual dishonesty?
Meaningful discourse should always be colored by nuance and shades of grey. Unfortunately, PR and perception paint in broad swaths of primary colors. The execution and scope of such a position are dictated by the intentions driving its creation. I’m sorry to say that, in a company like Disney, I don’t like subtlety’s chances.

the.dreamfinder

DEI initiatives through HR are not going anywhere. DEI initiatives through creative endeavors (ala part of the charge of Ms. Newton) will certainly be modified or rebranded to appeal more broadly to the mainstream. To be clear, the stepped up focus on DEI across Disney is in now way the direct cause of Disney's current string of failure, but it's implementation was less than ideal to affect a positive and profitable change for the company.
Or that entertainment is a cyclical business and Disney is in a valley after their most recent peak in the mid/late 2010’s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom