Ton Newton - Out

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s SO WIERD that Halle Bailey’s performance is the one element of the film that has has been universally praised and yet her presence is somehow the reason it’s failing. I wonder what underlying assumptions are at work here?
She’s extremely talented. I think the issue with many is it isn’t necessary to change the look of any existing main character in any previous popular movie (male, female, any race) and they should create new movies, stories, and new characters.

IMO her character (in whatever movie) would have more chance to become longer lived and give them more what they were wanting if she was a new character/princess in a new original movie.

Splash4eva

This. All of this.

When money is tight people cut non-essential expenses.

Entertainment - which includes tourism - are among the hardest hit industries every time.
But is tourism down? Ive been away 3 times this year already and places have all been packed or at least occupied and fromspeaking to others noone has haulted their travels but i do know plenty who have definitely either shortened trips to Disney substantially or cancelled altogether

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But is tourism down? Ive been away 3 times this year already and places have all been packed or at least occupied and fromspeaking to others noone has haulted their travels but i do know plenty who have definitely either shortened trips to Disney substantially or cancelled altogether

I mean, people aren't going to cancel trips that are already paid for.

Splash4eva

I mean, people aren't going to cancel trips that are already paid for.
why not? Disney offers a full refund not to mention they allow you to pay trip off what is it now 45 days prior? so its not like you are out the money.. most airlines are still offering refunds as well so thats not a problem

Disney Dead Head

why not? Disney offers a full refund not to mention they allow you to pay trip off what is it now 45 days prior? so its not like you are out the money.. most airlines are still offering refunds as well so thats not a problem
Well after just returning from a trip last week. Here is what I was seeing across all 4 parks. Tons of Large family gatherings ( All wearing the Same T-shirt) Large Groups of School Trips and everyone's favorite is the LARGE groups from South America. so for the most part that is who is going. It certainly is not a ton of APs as the line to tap in for them was always empty

mkt

Premium Member

Most airlines are not. We've gone through this ourselves as of recent.

Covid travel policies have been rescinded across the industry.

el_super

Sorry I misread the original post that started this digression.

What I meant was: Her job is entirely DE&I.

I didn't mean: Her job is entirely Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

My bad.

Oh Gotcha. We were talking about Carmen Smith and to be honest, I don't have any idea what percentage of her job is portfolio management for WDI (Tiana's) versus DEI initiatives for Parks and Resorts. I don't think anyone here really does. I also think, although I have no concrete information that there are other DEI executives within DPEP (maybe site specific?) that don't necessarily report to Carmen nor had reported up to Newton directly.

CaptainAmerica

I don't have any idea what percentage of her job is portfolio management for WDI (Tiana's) versus DEI initiatives for Parks and Resorts.
No no no, that's what you're missing. Her role managing Tiana's is PART of her role managing DEI initiatives. They're one and the same. It's not like she manages Tiana's AND manages DEI, she manages Tiana's BECAUSE she manages DEI.

I don't think anyone here really does. I also think, although I have no concrete information that there are other DEI executives within DPEP (maybe site specific?) that don't necessarily report to Carmen nor had reported up to Newton directly.
Carmen Smith's role covers all DEI initiatives that are guest-facing. She's the one who manages the list of all of the existing attractions that are deemed "problematic" (hold onto your butts Spaceship Earth and American Adventure fans), and she's the one who has to approve anything new they design from a DEI perspective.

Her role covers all of DPEP, meaning Consumer Products as well as the Parks & Resorts themselves.

I don't think she has any responsibility for internal DEI initiatives, such as talent acquisition and retention, as that stuff would fall under HR.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Do we know why Iger likely got rid of her?
1687446625378.png

Splash4eva

Most airlines are not. We've gone through this ourselves as of recent.

Covid travel policies have been rescinded across the industry.
I just cancelled one flight and amended another with JetBlue with no issues and did the same for United as well. No penalties at all. Not saying you are wrong. Only giving you my recent experience literally weeks ago.

mkt

Premium Member
I just cancelled one flight and amended another with JetBlue with no issues and did the same for United as well. No penalties at all. Not saying you are wrong. Only giving you my recent experience literally weeks ago.

Which category did you book? How long after booking did you cancel? Do you have elite status on either airline?

All airlines sell refundable tickets, but it's rarely tourists that book these. Beyond that, in the US - by federal law - airlines have to allow you to cancel any ticket within 24 hours of booking. Finally, a lot of rules are waived for travelers with elite status.

How do I know this? I spend half of my time traveling either for work or so my kiddo can spend time with his grandparents 1000 miles away, and hold elite status on 3 airlines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom