Tomorrowland Speedway

What would you do to Tomorrowland Speedway?

• Keep it, I really like it

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Refurbish Tomorrowland Speedway

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Demolish & expand the park or replace it

Votes: 69 52.7%

• Total voters

P_Radden

Original Poster
I understand the history and purpose of Tomorrowland Speedway, however it is a dated attraction that is way past its shelf life.

Does anyone know of plans in the works for this attraction? Should we expect any sort of refurbish or replacement of Tomorrowland Speedway?

The location of the Speedway is very important not only because of where it sits separating Tomorrowland and New Fantasy land, it also blocks park expansion east past the railroad tracks.

TS.jpg

In this picture, you can see exactly where the Speedway sits, as well as the area directly behind it undeveloped. Without removing the canal or catch pond there is still enough room for something even bigger than Space Mountain.

For reference, here is how the original track looked:
Grand-Prix-Raceway-Old-and-New-Track.gif

So what do you think about the current state of Tomorrowland Speedway? Keep it? Refurbish? Demolish & expand or replace? Do you feel this Attraction still carries the same importance to the park as it did decades ago?

Chef Mickey

It's "classic" I suppose, but it's a waste of space, in my opinion.

I know kids love "driving" but it's noisy, stinks, takes up entirely too much space, and is overall lacking in terms of a theme.

I would vote for replacing it with something much more incredible. This is Disney's chance to make something great, a true Tomorrowland E-Ticket - the first since Space Mountain.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Every time I pass this thing I think the Canadian Lumberjacks decided to do their show in Tomorrowland that day instead of at Epcot.

Bugz

It's time , either go electric cars or get rid of it there is way better gocart tracks, it's run it's course , it's the only ride in the whole world that should be totally upgraded or replaced.

yedliW

Last time we rode it, the car didn't steer very well.. it kept pulling hard to the left. It was so bad, I gave up trying to compensate, and just rode the rail the rest of the ride. If it was more of a go kart type ride, then I say keep it.. but as it sits, nuke it and make something better.

gsimpson

As much of a snooze as I find this attraction, when I bring my nephews and nieces they seem to love it. I would love to see them upgrade toe electric cars or do something, anything, to get rid of the smell but as long as people like it (and there seem to always be some lines) they should just massively update it. There are quite a few attractions that I find uninteresting or annoying but I don't think Disney should make their parks for just a particular subset of the population. If they did then they would be called six flags.

HauntedMansionFLA

I understand the history and purpose of Tomorrowland Speedway, however it is a dated attraction that is way past its shelf life.

Does anyone know of plans in the works for this attraction? Should we expect any sort of refurbish or replacement of Tomorrowland Speedway?

The location of the Speedway is very important not only because of where it sits separating Tomorrowland and New Fantasy land, it also blocks park expansion east past the railroad tracks.

View attachment 96716
In this picture, you can see exactly where the Speedway sits, as well as the area directly behind it undeveloped. Without removing the canal or catch pond there is still enough room for something even bigger than Space Mountain.

For reference, here is how the original track looked:
Grand-Prix-Raceway-Old-and-New-Track.gif

So what do you think about the current state of Tomorrowland Speedway? Keep it? Refurbish? Demolish & expand or replace? Do you feel this Attraction still carries the same importance to the park as it did decades ago?
Man - look at all of that land. Too bad they didn't bite the bullet when building NFL. That could have been their Frozen land behind the speedway where the trees are located. I would rather see at awesome Alice In Wonderland take shape.

Dj Corona

^^^Exactly, although I voted for refurbishing....do a Cars overlay, or for everyone that gripes about keeping with the Tomorrowland theme, why not go Tron?? The Speedway is really the only chance the little ones will get a chance to pretend they're driving a car, and anytime I've been there, the line is huge. So something must be right with the ride?

Matt_Black

You guys really need to suck it up in regards to the Speedway.

The park is for all people, all ages and all sorts of tastes - including six year olds who's only chance to drive for the next 10 years is the Speedway.

That doesn't mean the cars can't be updated to something more modern with lower emissions. With all the technology that's been developed in even just the past 10 years for cars, the speedway autos look like lumbering relics in comparison.

PhotoDave219

That doesn't mean the cars can't be updated to something more modern with lower emissions. With all the technology that's been developed in even just the past 10 years for cars, the speedway autos look like lumbering relics in comparison.

That would be cool. All kids want to do is drive. Pretty simple.

Completely unlike this Mark David Chapman-like obsession people have with the Speedway.

JiminyandTink

This is one of those rides that has a huge nostalgia factor for me. I would be sad to see it go. I feel like I'm a little kid again every time I ride it and now my kids love it too.

I would even be worried about changing it to electric cars, I would need them to somehow artificially add the loud sound and smell (that's part of the charm to me) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom