Tomorrowland Speedway

What would you do to Tomorrowland Speedway?

• Keep it, I really like it

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Refurbish Tomorrowland Speedway

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Demolish & expand the park or replace it

Votes: 69 52.7%

• Total voters

Prog

I think a big problem in MK is the lack of obvious boy targeting attractions.

Much as I like the huge number of attractions that have girls as the primary audience I think it would be good to have a few more that appeal largely to boys in the 5-10 age group.

Speedway does massively appeal to that age group. I think replacing it would be better than updating it though. Making it Electric would frankly take away the two things that make it work: noise and excitement of the car being like a real car. It would not make the attraction appeal to adults more, it would just reduce the attraction for kids who do ride it. I can't imagine adults who skip the attraction now would rush back to it if it had a new overlay and ran on electric.
Duh, Stitch's Great Escape! Everyone knows that all boys are disgusting idiots that like cheap scares, burps, and snot!

Matt_Black

Spuns-Skeptical-Baby-290x166.jpg

Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, Frontierland Shooting Arcade, Tom Sawyer Island, Haunted Mansion, all 3 mountains, Peter Pan's Flight...

No, you're right, MK is way too girly. :rolleyes:

copcarguyp71

In my opinion the days of the majority of kids being enthralled by driving a go kart have passed. There are certainly a good number of people who ride the ride hence the 45 minute wait times but is it because they are excited by it or simply because it is another part of the park experience and they are just checking it off the list?

I guess maybe I am a little geocentric since we live in the country and pretty much every kid rides quads anyway.

I have to say that whenever I see threads about "what is your favorite/must do ride?" or "What ride do you have to do first in the park?" that Tomorrowland speedway pretty much never comes up which leads me to believe that it is there for money saving and tradition more than anything. Tomorrowland Speedway has zero to do with tomorrow and more to do with nostalgia at this point IMO no matter what theming or spin the put on it unless they were to change it out to an indoor Tronesque type of a ride with electric vehicles I just don't see the applicability anymore.

A dark ride that could encompass a tunnel over the railway would be an awesome addition to the park and might breathe some life back into Tomorrowland.

IMFearless

I'm not saying that there aren't rides that appeal to boys, I just don't think they are aimed specifically at boys in quite the same way as some of the attractions are aimed at little girls.

I wouldn't say POTC is aimed at little boys, nor the mountains, PP, HM. There is a difference between "appealing to" and "being aimed at".

I would say ETWB is "aimed" at little girls, the same with many of the princess meet and greets, BBB and to a lesser extent JLM.

The only things that I would say are clearly aimed at boys are Pirate's Leagueand the Shooting Gallery and to some extent SOTMK.

There's a lot of things that appeal to a wide range of people in MK, PP, the mountains, mine train. I wouldn't say these attractions are "aimed" at a particular group, in the way that a princess meet and greet is "aimed" at little girls.

I'm not saying I have a problem with this, there are plenty of things for boys to do. All I'm saying is that the speedway is definitely one of those that although not aimed specifically at boys, is certainly going to appeal heavily to that demographic more so than it would, perhaps appeal to girls of a similar age.

Of course all of this is sweeping and generalising. I've seen boys get lots out of ETWB just as there are girls who love doing Pirate's League. That is fine with me.

I'm just saying they should aim to keep enough variety. I recognise that although the speedway is not likely to appeal heavily to many adults, there is going to be a small section of visitors who do really like it. As a kid I was one of them.

IMFearless

I think another dark ride which uses the space behind the railway line would be possible without getting rid of the speedway. I'm not saying the speedway shouldn't be retired.

I would just think that altering it to electric would reduce it's appeal to the guests that like riding it, without significantly increasing the appeal to guests who don't currently ride.

I've never heard of someone saying "I really wanted to go on the speedway if only it was electric"

But I was one of the kids who said "I went on the speedway and it was really cool because it was a real car"

I'm sure there are other things that could be put in the space.

Brad Bishop

I would feel differently about it being demolished if we were talking about Disneyland's version, as it's actually a fun, much more complex track, but since MK's brings nothing to the table I would be fine with it being replaced.

I was thinking the exact same thing. At Disneyland that whole section is integrated:
- Complex Autotopia track
- Monorail intermixed there, as a theme park ride, not just transportation
- Nemo (I think - was 20,000 Leagues)
- People Mover (R.I.P. - How Disney f'd this up nearly 20 years back and hasn't fixed it is beyond me)
- Skyway used to go through there, I think.

Anyway, over at Disneyland it's this wonder layering of a bunch of different rides. It's well landscaped. It really works and is really cool.

At MK it's just Florida's version of Autotopia in a much blander form. At one time, after Cars, I thought, "This would be the perfect ride to make into a Cars ride. Put new Cars-themed fiberglass shells on and the kids would like it (it's a retread, which I don't like, but I thought it would work). With what they did with Carsland out in DCA I don't think that would fly at all, now.

When it was built the interstate system was still fairly new and not even complete, yet. You could travel down I-10 across Florida and then be told, "I-10 ends.. Get off now and follow this other route," and you'd have to do that until I-10 began, again, 20 miles later. (I know, hard for the kids today to conceive of). Anyway, back during that time driving and the interstates and all that was exciting. Now it's part of everyday life and I don't think the kids really care too much about it. Besides, go-kart tracks abound which wasn't the case with the DL and WDW versions were built.

My thought would be, initially, tear it up and expand Tomorrowland. That thought would be quickly squashed by the realization that they have no ideas for Tomorrowland and would probably put an Frozen Olaf ride in there with him wearing a space helmet. Expand Fantasyland would work, too but there would need to be some kind of decent transition between the lands which Disney has been pretty good about.

At the end of the day, yes, it's a classic attraction but, no, I wouldn't miss it. I would be annoyed if they shut it down and then just left it to rot for 10-20 years, which they've been known to do.

Brad Bishop

I wouldn't say POTC is aimed at little boys, nor the mountains, PP, HM. There is a difference between "appealing to" and "being aimed at".

One attraction a lot of people miss that really is aimed at boys is Tom Sawyer's Island. It's a great little retreat during the middle of a busy day and, as a kid, I always loved the paths, fort, tunnels, mines, barrel bridge, etc.

Brad Bishop

If folks really want to demo something to add attractions... why not the Jungle cruise and the Treehouse? We have actual real live animals over at AK(and a lot less forced laughter jokes :eek:) and the Treehouse was always a useless attraction IMO.

I think the treehouse brings something unique to the park. It's one of the few walk-through attractions. The other, being Tom Sawyer's Island. Yep, people often pass it right by and don't even notice the entrance but not everything has to be a ride and SFT is pretty unique in that you get to climb up into a tree, see interesting things and all that. It's something very unique to Disney as most other parks no longer bother with any walk-through attractions.

Getting rid of the Jungle Cruise would be like getting rid of Pirates. It's such a staple. I wish they'd update the script, though. Those jokes are so old. One of the best trips I've had on the JC was a few years back around 2AM when the girl giving the cruise said, "I can do the script or I can show you some unique things about the ride..." Everyone had heard the tired script so they all said, "Tell us of the unique things..," and she proceeded to point out all sorts of cool stuff we'd never really noticed before.

IMFearless

One attraction a lot of people miss that really is aimed at boys is Tom Sawyer's Island. It's a great little retreat during the middle of a busy day and, as a kid, I always loved the paths, fort, tunnels, mines, barrel bridge, etc.

I think Tom Sawyer's island is a great part of MK, it's a shame so few people bother to give any time to it.

What about making some sort of space port in the speedway area which could link guests to a separate area via a shuttle type ride (similar in design to Hogwarts Express) basically it could shuttle guests off to a separate area like the rafts do at Tom Sawyers Island. The separate area could be an expansion pad off to the right of MK the other side of World Drive. It could be built entirely indoors. It could be really cool if done well, with a number of different dark rides with a space station type theme throughout the area. It would add a whole amount of space into MK, with an interesting way of combining it.

jaklgreen

Much as I like the huge number of attractions that have girls as the primary audience I think it would be good to have a few more that appeal largely to boys in the 5-10 age group.

Speedway does massively appeal to that age group. I think replacing it would be better than updating it though. Making it Electric would frankly take away the two things that make it work: noise and excitement of the car being like a real car. It would not make the attraction appeal to adults more, it would just reduce the attraction for kids who do ride it. I can't imagine adults who skip the attraction now would rush back to it if it had a new overlay and ran on electric.

As for there being not enough for adults, if Epcot was actually a bit more interesting it would not be an issue.

It kind of makes me angry that people say this. I just don't get it. Lets break it down. You have to discount fantasy land because that is appealing to any child 6 and under boy or girl. Tomorrowland: you have the speedway, stitch, buzz, SM, astro, people mover, carousel, and laugh floor NONE of which are aimed at girls, in fact I would call those more boy attractions or adult/neutral. Adventurland: again, we all know the rides there. Tell me which ones are all "girls"? Pirates? Jungle cruise? Hmmm nooo. Frontierland: again tell me which of those rides a geared toward girls? So what if there are princess meet and greet, there is also a buzz lightyear meet and greet and the mad hatter and dozens of other Disney characters. BBB? oh yep you got the Pirates league. I think the problem is people idea of what should be liked by girls and boys. Its "OK" for girls to say they like what is viewed as a boy attraction, but its not OK for a boy to be interested in something for girls? Girls have to adapt more to a "man's" world their whole lives. So what if there are a few princesses that girls can go and see. How is adding a couple of "girl" things taking away all of the boy/neutral stuff that they have already? Magic Kingdom/Disneyland was made to be enjoyed by the whole family together. So they have tried to stay as neutral as possible. Could they use a few more attractions? Of course, more is always better but I would keep them more neutral. I mean its not girls' fault that boys are more narrow minded and can not enjoy a wider variety of attractions if they think they might be "girly". Girls do all sorts of "boy" things without issue.

IMFearless

I'm all for having attractions that are aimed at a variety of people.

I think it's true to say that Enchanted Tales with Belle is a fantastic attraction that really engages the children who go to see it. I have no problem with children liking whatever they like, or adults for that matter. I was not trying to make it so that some guests like some attractions and some like others.

Perhaps what I was trying to express in a roundabout way is that it's good to have attractions that appeal to different sections of the audience. A princess meet and greet is going to be popular with girls.

Perhaps it was an exaggeration on my part to say it's a big problem in MK that there is not enough targeted towards boys, because upon reflection and people's comments there are a number of attractions, perhaps they're not quite so obvious to me, but then I have a girl.

I guess what I was trying to say in a not very clear way was that just because the Speedway is not popular with all groups of visitors that is not a reason to remove it.

Just like a Cinderella and Rapunzel meet and greet is not popular with all groups, it still has a lot of popularity with a specific group. I think Speedway fits into this same niche where although many guests have no interest in it, a small group really like it. I think this would be the 15 % who have voted to keep it how it is.

imagineer boy

Here are my views on what they could do with it:

A: Refurbish it to have electric cars and put it in a futuristic landscape while renaming it to "Cosmic Freeway" or something like that.

B: Tear it down and replace it with new attractions, while building a Cars themed autopia in DHS as apart of Pixar Place.

orlando678-

I think autopia should be built in Epcot near Test Track so that it the pavilions can all become small lands. The motion pavilion would then have experiences for the whole family. Autopia would fit perfectly. Of course a dark ride based on motion would be better, but if autopia shows the possibilities of cars in the future then do this please.

Victor Kelly

Tom Sawyers Island and Swiss Family Treehouse along with Jungle Cruise do take up a lot of real estate, but they are in fact people eaters.

I have noticed before when entering the Treehouse that I am going in and all of a sudden people follow me in. When I come out there is now a queue moving slowly through the attraction.

Tom Sawyers Island always has people crossing to get there. And Jungle Cruise always has a line despite AK being a few miles away.

The Speedway serves a purpose, everyday we were there in January it had a line except one day (out of 10). It is severely shortened since Mickey's Birthday Land was built. And with FLE, shortened even more.

My opinion, it can be replaced with something newer, and with the amount of land in question, several attractions can take it's place. The question then becomes, what to replace it with that has a futuristic theme? Perhaps a omni mover people eater that can be modern and retro......and wait for it......Can merge Horizons, World of Motion and CoP into one ride. Make it a multi-level ride to increase ride length. Theme it to the new Tomorrowland movie.

I would still be sad to see it go, but perhaps incorporate another ride similar to Speedway. Also make it a futuristic high speed thrill ride similar to test track but with varying speed vehicles, all indoors to eliminate the weather closure issue. Do not do it Tron-esque but again themed to the Tomorrowland movie.

IMFearless

I do think they would be smart to consider the medium term future for Magic Kingdom.

To me the problem is not so much about what to put there but how to move forward into an era where the park is increasingly dealing with more and more guests. I think it's more an issue of dealing with the ongoing demands of the crowds while preserving what is special to begin with.

To be honest, I think the focus needs to be far more on Epcot and DHS. Those are the two parks where there are glaring issues. Lack of attractions, empty buildings, lack of cohesion in terms of theming within specific areas. DHS is particularly a mish mash of attractions. It always seems to me as if someone put a themepark in a snow globe, shook it up, and each attraction just landed where it ended up completely by chance.

MK works fairly well overall and I think as long as the attractions are maintained and kept to a good standard the park works for most people. I will definitely be glad once the hub is completely finished and it will be nice to enjoy visiting the park without some major area of upheaval going on in one corner or another.

I saw news on a disney website that said that the tommorowland speedway will be an expansion of the MK's parking lot, because the parking lot has been reaching its capacity before the park does.

Goofyernmost

I saw news on a disney website that said that the tommorowland speedway will be an expansion of the MK's parking lot, because the parking lot has been reaching its capacity before the park does.
I think that would be at Disneyland not WDW. It is not only not in the right place for a parking lot, but, it isn't even close to being needed as one. Especially when they bulldoze the Richard Petty Race Track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom