Tomorrowland Speedway

What would you do to Tomorrowland Speedway?

• Keep it, I really like it

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Refurbish Tomorrowland Speedway

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Demolish & expand the park or replace it

Votes: 69 52.7%

• Total voters

Red Sox

I think they should refurb it and theme it as more futuristic. I'd be cool with an Epcot type of futuristic vibe or the retro future that never was vibe they have currently in tomorrowland.

HauntedMansionFLA

You guys really need to suck it up in regards to the Speedway.

The park is for all people, all ages and all sorts of tastes - including six year olds who's only chance to drive for the next 10 years is the Speedway.
Hey, I forgot seeing the kids smiling when driving the cars with mom or dad. Too bad it couldn't be set up where mom and dad could ride as a family with the kids. Put some cool looking rockwork?

epcotisbest

This is one of those rides that has a huge nostalgia factor for me. I would be sad to see it go. I feel like I'm a little kid again every time I ride it and now my kids love it too.

I would even be worried about changing it to electric cars, I would need them to somehow artificially add the loud sound and smell (that's part of the charm to me) :)
My wife has been trying to get rid of my loud sound and smell for years.

Kit83

I have never liked this ride, my kids rode for the first time in May there was no wait time maybe 5 mins when asked if they wanted another go they said " no thanks daddy" so it was back to SDMT .

Demolish and build something of the quality of the Harry Potter rides at Universal .

orlando678-

I have never liked this ride, my kids rode for the first time in May there was no wait time maybe 5 mins when asked if they wanted another go they said " no thanks daddy" so it was back to SDMT .

Demolish and build something of the quality of the Harry Potter rides at Universal .
I think Tron would be really competing together with Lucas and Avatar coming

IMFearless

I have to agree keeping the gas powered cars is a massive part of the attraction for any kid. I can remember visiting with my brother as a kid and being amazed that they were REAL gas powered cars which we could actually drive.

I think to change the speedway would wreck it for most kids. The attraction is the fact that it seems somewhat realistic, too much theming would make it seem more like a ride.

There's plenty more room for expansion, why dig up an existing, not unpopular attraction? If nobody was wanting to ride it I'd be all for taking it out but people do wait in line for it, sometimes for quite a while.

DABIGCHEEZ

Agree, there looks like plenty of room to expand behind the track. If anything.. refurb it to better vehicles... but do not remove it.

If your looking for something that is supposedly going to rival Harry Potter... that land is being built over in Animal Kingdom.

JIMINYCR

Tear it down....If it has to be replaced as a speedway, replace it with a speedway that has futuristic looking cars/ space vehicles with a track that has a futuristic theme about it. After all it does sit in Tomorrowland.
If it is torn down and replaced by something totally different... make it a thrilling Tomorrowland ride that gives us a thrill .... not a kiddie ride. Thats what Fantasyland is for.

mahnamahna101

Tear it down....If it has to be replaced as a speedway, replace it with a speedway that has futuristic looking cars/ space vehicles with a track that has a futuristic theme about it. After all it does sit in Tomorrowland.
If it is torn down and replaced by something totally different... make it a thrilling Tomorrowland ride that gives us a thrill .... not a kiddie ride. Thats what Fantasyland is for.
If they tear it, they ought to use it and the space behind it for a solid, 5-6 attraction expansion spread across Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.
1 E, 1 D and 1 C for Fantasyland
1 D, 1 C and 1 B for Tomorrowland
CoP bulldozed/relocated to make room for Tomorrowland E.

I don't want Speedway simply replaced - I want to see the attraction count go up by a few. If DL can fit 50-55 attractions, MK ought to hit 40+ with its vast amounts of space. It's only at 33 right now (36 if you count the interactive game, and the two parades)

mahnamahna101

You guys really need to suck it up in regards to the Speedway.

The park is for all people, all ages and all sorts of tastes - including six year olds who's only chance to drive for the next 10 years is the Speedway.
So Mom and Dad can afford a $3,000-4,000 Disney vacation, but not a $10-30 trip to their local go-kart track? Nice logic there...

Lol the Speedway is nothing but a glorified go-karts track without the thrill of bumping into the other cars. 6 year olds can go drive some karts at Fun Spot down the road, or at regional tracks/parks closer to home for far cheaper.

Move the Speedway into the area next to Test Track if it has to be anywhere in WDW, or even move it to the WDW Speedway outside MK.

Is it our fault the Speedway blocks future expansion for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? Or that the attraction makes a good portion of Fantasyland/Tomorrowland smell horrible? Or that it's minimally themed and very close to something you'd see at Six Flags?

I can't imagine Walt would keep a minimally themed attraction around this long, just because it makes little kids 'feel special'. Too much of WDW is geared toward making 0-6 yr olds happy, while ignoring those 7 and up. Walt wanted everyone to have fun at his parks. Going 8 mph isn't fun once you're over the age of 6/7. A huge portion of WDW's audience is ignored because ' the kids!!!'

Sorry but Bald Mountain, a Wonderland mini-land, and 2-3 Tomorrowland attractions using the Speedway plot and the space behind the Speedway is a far more efficient, high-capacity usage of the area.

I would understand keeping the Speedway if it wasn't blocking an expansion pad, but it is. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

^^^Exactly, although I voted for refurbishing....do a Cars overlay, or for everyone that gripes about keeping with the Tomorrowland theme, why not go Tron?? The Speedway is really the only chance the little ones will get a chance to pretend they're driving a car, and anytime I've been there, the line is huge. So something must be right with the ride?

Part of that is because it's not exactly a people-eating attraction. Another is that the right side of MK lacks major D/E attractions for young kids other than Buzz.

Just because one particular demo is happy (one that's pleased by just about anything) doesn't mean a minimally themed space waster should stay. a TRON or Wreck it Ralph retheme would end up being on the cheap and look tacky.

I'd much rather see some high-caliber D/Es (1 for the Speedway demographic, 1 for the Space Mountain demographic) and a couple smaller attractions. More attractions=better for SDMT and Space Mt's wait times.

PhotoDave219

So Mom and Dad can afford a $3,000-4,000 Disney vacation, but not a $10-30 trip to their local go-kart track? Nice logic there...

Lol the Speedway is nothing but a glorified go-karts track without the thrill of bumping into the other cars. 6 year olds can go drive some karts at Fun Spot down the road, or at regional tracks/parks closer to home for far cheaper.

Move the Speedway into the area next to Test Track if it has to be anywhere in WDW, or even move it to the WDW Speedway outside MK.

Is it our fault the Speedway blocks future expansion for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? Or that the attraction makes a good portion of Fantasyland/Tomorrowland smell horrible? Or that it's minimally themed and very close to something you'd see at Six Flags?

I can't imagine Walt would keep a minimally themed attraction around this long, just because it makes little kids 'feel special'. Too much of WDW is geared toward making 0-6 yr olds happy, while ignoring those 7 and up. Walt wanted everyone to have fun at his parks. Going 8 mph isn't fun once you're over the age of 6/7. A huge portion of WDW's audience is ignored because ' the kids!!!'

Sorry but Bald Mountain, a Wonderland mini-land, and 2-3 Tomorrowland attractions using the Speedway plot and the space behind the Speedway is a far more efficient, high-capacity usage of the area.

I would understand keeping the Speedway if it wasn't blocking an expansion pad, but it is. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Part of that is because it's not exactly a people-eating attraction. Another is that the right side of MK lacks major D/E attractions for young kids other than Buzz.

Just because one particular demo is happy (one that's pleased by just about anything) doesn't mean a minimally themed space waster should stay. a TRON or Wreck it Ralph retheme would end up being on the cheap and look tacky.

I'd much rather see some high-caliber D/Es (1 for the Speedway demographic, 1 for the Space Mountain demographic) and a couple smaller attractions. More attractions=better for SDMT and Space Mt's wait times.

Let it Go.

mahnamahna101

Let it Go.
Can't let a gigantic Six Flags-esque kiddie attraction go. I still stand by my idea to put 5-6 attractions in that gigantic Speedway/wooded expansion area.

More appeal for teens/adults (Bald Mountain, family dark ride for Tomorrowland, Alice dark ride) , while still giving the Snowflakes better things to do than the Speedway (Alice dark ride, Labyrinth clone, family dark ride for Tomorrowland, clone of the new trackless Luigi flat themed to Flying Saucers, clone of Stitch Encounter or maybe that Plectu concept).

TDO needs to take a note from OLC and let go... of the 1970s-esque, minimally-themed, non-futuristic, gas-guzzling Speedway.

PhotoDave219

Can't let a gigantic Six Flags-esque kiddie attraction go. I still stand by my idea to put 5-6 attractions in that gigantic Speedway/wooded expansion area.

More appeal for teens/adults (Bald Mountain, family dark ride for Tomorrowland, Alice dark ride) , while still giving the Snowflakes better things to do than the Speedway (Alice dark ride, Labyrinth clone, family dark ride for Tomorrowland, clone of the new trackless Luigi flat themed to Flying Saucers, clone of Stitch Encounter or maybe that Plectu concept).

TDO needs to take a note from OLC and let go... of the 1970s-esque, minimally-themed, non-futuristic, gas-guzzling Speedway.

How ever are you going to fund that?

DABIGCHEEZ

If folks really want to demo something to add attractions... why not the Jungle cruise and the Treehouse? We have actual real live animals over at AK(and a lot less forced laughter jokes :eek:) and the Treehouse was always a useless attraction IMO.

MaryJaneP

Sounds and smells bad. Time overdue for refurb and new equipment. Imagine actually using tomorrow's technology (i.e. electric and/or solar) to provide the same "driving" experience.

mahnamahna101

How ever are you going to fund that?
With that $2-2.5 billion spent on MM+, they could have done NFL Phase 2, a TL overhaul and a FW overhaul.

Of course, TDO didn't have the hindsight to invest in MK instead of its NextGen obsession.

If folks really want to demo something to add attractions... why not the Jungle cruise and the Treehouse? We have actual real live animals over at AK(and a lot less forced laughter jokes :eek:) and the Treehouse was always a useless attraction IMO.
I'd support this if we got (including the plot behind JC/POTC) ...
Aladdin dark ride
relocated Magic Carpets
Jungle Book show
Tarzan suspended coaster
JttCotE clone
Nautilus walkthrough
Vulcania TS restaurant

An overhaul like this for Adventureland would make it a must-see again.

yedliW

What if they did a pod race overlay as part of a star wars theme? might not be the best place for it.. but it seems that there should be a pod race ride of some sort..

IMFearless

I think a big problem in MK is the lack of obvious boy targeting attractions.

Much as I like the huge number of attractions that have girls as the primary audience I think it would be good to have a few more that appeal largely to boys in the 5-10 age group.

Speedway does massively appeal to that age group. I think replacing it would be better than updating it though. Making it Electric would frankly take away the two things that make it work: noise and excitement of the car being like a real car. It would not make the attraction appeal to adults more, it would just reduce the attraction for kids who do ride it. I can't imagine adults who skip the attraction now would rush back to it if it had a new overlay and ran on electric.

As for there being not enough for adults, if Epcot was actually a bit more interesting it would not be an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom