News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Disone

nowww approaching main street station......alll aboardddddd....I really miss this, the park is being voided of too many details like that, even before the closure Im not sure that was even being used??...we cant even have the haunted mansion howling effect outside anymore.
I thought I read the howling has been restored.

The railroad announcements were there at all the stations up until the day the railroad closed. I'm sure once reopens you'll hear it again.

That said I'm beginning to suspect the railroad will not open until shortly before Tron light cycle run opens. So we're probably a good year or more away from being able to hear there was a nonsense.

ppete1975

I’d post some wider shots but my archive machine has gone to the great pc shop in the sky so I can’t access my collection at the moment.

TSI was basically two lumps of unconnected dirt with some shrubbery before 1973.
With some of the irreplaceable stuff that you have I hope you have a great backup system in place.
you dont want to end up like the simpsons (12 episodes).. family guy.... the incredibles ILM or the muppets......

thomas998

It could just be a phased thing. I don't think the general public has any idea about a Speedway re-theme.

Could always close again. They're not going to announce a re-theme in a blog post, they're likely saving it for next year. But just all a guess on my part. Of course she'd say "it will be the same attraction". In their own way, they aren't "wrong". It's still the same, it just may have a new theme. You can still ride around in cars on a racetrack speedway. You have to sometimes "think like them" ;) lol
Would a retheme of speedway really be anything beyond different cars? And if that is all it is going to be they could do that overnight.

Bocabear

It is surprising that the bridge and backstage areas were never dealt with... They could have done a lot more with the train scenery... It is a huge attraction and a huge part of the park's history that they continue to ignore... There should be a lot more set dressing along the route...and things that would be great after dark as well...
The Speedway . now that it is smaller than ever, really needs sets like other incarnations have had... Even if it is as simple as the botanical settings they used in Hong Kong...
1619103351945.png

Mr. Moderate

It is surprising that the bridge and backstage areas were never dealt with... They could have done a lot more with the train scenery... It is a huge attraction and a huge part of the park's history that they continue to ignore... There should be a lot more set dressing along the route...and things that would be great after dark as well...
The Speedway . now that it is smaller than ever, really needs sets like other incarnations have had... Even if it is as simple as the botanical settings they used in Hong Kong...
View attachment 551224
First off thank you and as a fan of the parks and wanting to improve them where it can be done, this has been on my mind.

For years I have wished that something along the lines of what Hong Kong did with their Speedway was done in WDW. In fact every time I pass by the Speedway when at MK and see the current state of it, I ask myself why can't it be done and it doesn't make sense to me to not at least improve the aesthetics of the ride area. Get a sponsor like Honda too and see about updating the cars and making them cleaner and quiet if possible. I've watched quite a few videos go the ride at Hong Kong and love what they did out there with their version of it.

trainplane3

Take it with a grain of salt, but there’s a rumor that the new roadbed/track was built up higher than normal and now the WDWRR can’t clear one of the tunnels. (not sure if it’s Pirates or Splash)
I'm no train professional (ignore the username), but wouldn't lowering the roadbed be a somewhat "easy" task? It'd be a undertaking of course but you'd just be removing a certain amount of gravel, right?

DisAl

If that is true I would hate to be the contractor or the civil engineer who "missed the grade." I would guess to go back and lower the track would involve at least 300 feet of track to keep the grade change smooth. It would probably be less expensive to raise the tunnel roof.

Captain Barbossa

Lop a couple of inches off the stacks? Are they all the same height?
No. Walter is the tallest. He’s 11’ 11”. Not sure about the height of Lilly, Roger, and Roy.

I'm no train professional (ignore the username), but wouldn't lowering the roadbed be a somewhat "easy" task? It'd be a undertaking of course but you'd just be removing a certain amount of gravel, right?

If that is true I would hate to be the contractor or the civil engineer who "missed the grade." I would guess to go back and lower the track would involve at least 300 feet of track to keep the grade change smooth. It would probably be less expensive to raise the tunnel roof.

Yes. More than likely, lowering the roadbed would be the most inexpensive and logical/easiest way to fix it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom