News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Anteater

EPCOT was wildly popular when it opened...Sadly all anyone remembers now is after it's decline a lot of people decided that they didn't like Edutainment any more... But to repeat the lie that it was a failure is simply untrue...
Do you know of any contemporary reviews of EPCoT from 1982? I searched and only found a Tampa newspaper article...

Always interested in hearing first hand accounts of openings to see how they match my perspective.

kalel8145

Do you know of any contemporary reviews of EPCoT from 1982? I searched and only found a Tampa newspaper article...

Always interested in hearing first hand accounts of openings to see how they match my perspective.
I got to go like the 2nd or 3rd week it was open. I was 8. My aunt worked for Hawaiian Tropic at the time and got passes to go. I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember not all the rides were open, and the ones that were didn't all work at the time. We didn't stay all day. I think we walked through some of world showcase, but at 8 I was interested in rides.
I remember her being upset about the issues.
We got to go back the following summer. By this time Imagination was open and I just remember wanting to spend all day there.

Casper Gutman

There's really no way to prove this, but I suspect a LOT of the more passionate Disney parks fans were formed by early EPCOT. I know I was. It boasted the finest collection of dark rides ever constructed and demonstrated that a theme park could be more then just a collection of loosely linked attractions. It resonated with the very substantial tradition of the World's Fair, and even if most guests don't understand that history and much of the underlying ideology has become archaic or problematic, there is something fundamentally appealing and powerful about that. it was an indication that theme parks could MEAN something, whether or not you agreed with them.

Magic Kingdom is great, but it's a copy of a masterpiece and it feels like it. The Florida resort's identity - and many of its fans - were forged in EPCOT. Which is one of the reasons there is so much bitterness over its destruction.

Anteater

I got to go like the 2nd or 3rd week it was open. I was 8. My aunt worked for Hawaiian Tropic at the time and got passes to go. I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember not all the rides were open, and the ones that were didn't all work at the time. We didn't stay all day. I think we walked through some of world showcase, but at 8 I was interested in rides.
I remember her being upset about the issues.
We got to go back the following summer. By this time Imagination was open and I just remember wanting to spend all day there.
Wow. Thanks for the first-hand report. The Tampa article kinda downplayed the opening day issues. Mainly reported people complaining about not getting to participate in the opening-day ceremonies. Of course, they weren't interviewing any youngsters!

kalel8145

Wow. Thanks for the first-hand report. The Tampa article kinda downplayed the opening day issues. Mainly reported people complaining about not getting to participate in the opening-day ceremonies. Of course, they weren't interviewing any youngsters!
Yeah, I'm sure the views are different between a kid and an adult. It was a big deal about all the issues right after opening I remember. We lived in Daytona Beach at the time, so it was different then what you'd get nationally news wise I'd guess. I remember people talking about how Disney opened it too early, they cut corners, stuff was done cheaply. In the end once all the bugs were worked out, it was great as history has seen. It be came a regular yearly trip, Epcot and MK every summer, till we moved.

Disney Glimpses

😍😍
1652800505828.png

Kevin_W

We went as a family in 1983 and ~1989 (I was born in 1974, for reference). My main memory from the '83 trip is rope-dropping the Imagination pavilion so we could ride the ride and play on the second floor. My whole family loved it. I have a distinct memory from the latter trip of being on the monorail and telling my mom the Epcot was my favorite of the 3 parks.

So at least for me and my family, we loved original Epcot.

Casper Gutman

For another firsthand report - I was very young when I first went to EPCOT. Horizons wasn't open, so it must have been the first year. The dinosaurs on UoE terrified me and I spent the entire ride after that section hiding under the seat. WoM, however, was magical, and one of my earliest clear memories is being delighted by the caveman blowing on his sore feet - that moment, reentering the building after the ramp for the first time, is permanently etched in my mind. On that trip and for years afterwards, MY EPCOT was Spaceship Earth and the left side of Future World - nothing else mattered much, although Imagination always got a visit, if only for the cut-paper room.

EPCOTCenterLover

One more opening year trip report:

"There's an old saying that there's nothing like your first time. It happens to be true when I speak about our first visit to EPCOT Center. In an unexpected twist, it almost instantly became our favorite Disney park. This was the park as originally envisioned, not the one chock full of intellectual properties and animated characters. No Frozen, no Guardians of the Galaxy, no Nemo, no Ratatouille.

Back then, World Showcase opened the same time as Future World, so we entered the park and almost walked right past Spaceship Earth and directly to the Mexico Showcase..."

It's a long, long, report, so for those of you interested, the rest is here. Suffice it to say- In this park, I saw what Disney could do when they put their mind to it. It was my favorite Disney experience for decades.

Ayla

I think the tunnel itself is fine. You’ll be in it a matter of moments, it’s consistent with the look of the area, there aren’t a bunch of conduits on the wall like in the Adventureland tunnel, and assuming the cutouts are windows, you might see a lightcycle woosh by. It makes for a good transition as it opens up to Storybook Circus.

If they were going to expend the effort to do some sort of diorama or show scene, I’d rather they build some sort of trompe l’oeil city of the future on the horizon between TRON and Space Mountain. It would contribute to views from three attractions (railroad, TRON flyover, and PeopleMover) and could potentially be constructed in such a way to at least partially mitigate the look of the adjacent show building from the Contemporary.
Storybook Circus is before TL, not after, if they keep the direction the same.

Bocabear

Seriously how expensive would it be to better theme the tunnels on the train route? there should be no visible banks of conduit in the Adventureland tunnel... you would think the Walt Disney World Resort didn't have a staff of creatives available...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom