News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

What do you think of jungle cruise?
It’s meant to be ridiculous. And they’ve updated it considerably, anyway.

Primeval World is serious to a fault and they mention it every time guests board the train. It’s simply not that good. Imagine if the WDW reminded guests boarding in Storybook Circus to stay on board long enough to see some Indians!

yensidtlaw1969

I get what you are saying but I think “random and charming” is better.

That’s Disneyland in general. Charming. The sleeping beauty castle walkthrough for example... random and charming. Mr. toads Wild ride, Casey jr., tiki room, etc.
Well, *I* certainly think it's charming. It's more charming to get a peek into history with the World's Fair than it is to look at bare swamps like we get to in Florida.

But my point was that anyone who doesn't already know why it's there might find it puzzling, and not especially dazzling.

I'm not sure I'd put Mr. Toad, Casey Jr., Tiki Room, and the Castle Walkthrough in the same category as Primeval World. Those are all among my favorites and have that "they don't make 'em like this anymore" quality to them, but none of those are quite as perplexing or, I say with respect, dated the way the Dinos are.

yensidtlaw1969

You are all knocking Primeval World but it’s not the only thing on the DLRR. Don’t forget the Grand Canyon.
I don't think one post calling it underwhelming and one more saying "I can see why you say that" really counts as knocking it - and I also don't think we're forgetting the Grand Canyon. The poster was simply expressing that the PW was a let down to them. Perhaps The Grand Canyon didn't have that same effect.

And speaking of The Grand Canyon, while Disneyland's has some more nicely updated effects, the best use of the Diorama overall goes to Disneyland Paris, where the Grand Canyon is the first thing you pass through after Main Street Station and when you exit you're immediately met with the sweeping vista of Frontierland from along the backside of the Rivers of the Far West. It's a really great moment where the diorama seems to give way to you being transported in reality . . . and if you manage to catch it at sunset there's almost nothing better.

DLP features no dinos along their railroad, however.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thematic purity is thrown out the window with the conceit you're on an old-timey railroad that goes through a fantasy land and a tomorrow land.

DL's detour through a museum of natural history only breaks the theming further.

Same deal when a Mississippi paddle boat winds up on all different places around the U.S.

You're in a *magic* kingdom. Start with the premise that your tour vehicle is *magic* and can transverse different lands and times. Bingo, cognitive dissonance resolved.

ToTBellHop

I don't think one post calling it underwhelming and one more saying "I can see why you say that" really counts as knocking it - and I also don't think we're forgetting the Grand Canyon. The poster was simply expressing that the PW was a let down to them. Perhaps The Grand Canyon didn't have that same effect.

And speaking of The Grand Canyon, while Disneyland's has some more nicely updated effects, the best use of the Diorama overall goes to Disneyland Paris, where the Grand Canyon is the first thing you pass through after Main Street Station and when you exit you're immediately met with the sweeping vista of Frontierland from along the backside of the Rivers of the Far West. It's a really great moment where the diorama seems to give way to you being transported in reality . . . and if you manage to catch it at sunset there's almost nothing better.

My point was honestly that neither PW nor GC are particularly impressive nor are any visuals from the DLRR or WDWRR. So we shouldn’t have expected all that much from the TRON tunnel. It should actually look pretty cool in there at night.

I wouldn’t have wanted a high tech space using projections and there isn’t really enough room under TRON for a show building with actual sets.

yensidtlaw1969

My point was honestly that neither PW nor GC are particularly impressive nor are any visuals from the DLRR or WDWRR. So we shouldn’t have expected all that much from the TRON tunnel. It should actually look pretty cool in there at night.

I wouldn’t have wanted a high tech space using projections and there isn’t really enough room under TRON for a show building with actual sets.
Honestly, looking "pretty cool in there at night" is more than I expected from this, so I'll consider that a simple win.

I would have loved to see them take this opportunity to finally bring some meaningful show elements online at the WDWRR, both at TRON and other places around the layout, but I certainly knew better than to expect it.

Will this be another "Brought to you by Philips Hue" project like the recent lighting reconfigurations at EPCOT?

James Alucobond

I think the tunnel itself is fine. You’ll be in it a matter of moments, it’s consistent with the look of the area, there aren’t a bunch of conduits on the wall like in the Adventureland tunnel, and assuming the cutouts are windows, you might see a lightcycle woosh by. It makes for a good transition as it opens up to Storybook Circus.

If they were going to expend the effort to do some sort of diorama or show scene, I’d rather they build some sort of trompe l’oeil city of the future on the horizon between TRON and Space Mountain. It would contribute to views from three attractions (railroad, TRON flyover, and PeopleMover) and could potentially be constructed in such a way to at least partially mitigate the look of the adjacent show building from the Contemporary.

disneyC97

But Tokyo does! 🦖

yensidtlaw1969

Thematic purity is thrown out the window with the conceit you're on an old-timey railroad that goes through a fantasy land and a tomorrow land.

DL's detour through a museum of natural history only breaks the theming further.

Same deal when a Mississippi paddle boat winds up on all different places around the U.S.

You're in a *magic* kingdom. Start with the premise that your tour vehicle is *magic* and can transverse different lands and times. Bingo, cognitive dissonance resolved.
. . . Was anyone talking about "thematic purity"?

If you're referring to the use of the word "random" to describe the Primeval World, it's only because both it and the Grand Canyon are so isolated from interaction with the rest of the park. It's not random to see the Native American village along the backside of Frontierland, but it is random to suddenly be seeing Dinosaurs when their presence has no meaningful relation with the park aside from "These were also from that World's Fair, so we put them here!" . . . which, again, is reason enough for those who know that, but they might seem out of left field for anyone who doesn't.

Bocabear

I think we can all agree that the scenery along the route of the WDRR could use some major improvements.... To actually add better thematic settings related to the Attractions/lands it is passing behind would be wonderful...instead of mostly nothing and maintenance roads. Same with the Peoplemover... both cases these transportation attractions would benefit from new, upgraded and well done thematic sets added...

JoeCamel

I think we can all agree that the scenery along the route of the WDRR could use some major improvements.... To actually add better thematic settings related to the Attractions/lands it is passing behind would be wonderful...instead of mostly nothing and maintenance roads. Same with the Peoplemover... both cases these transportation attractions would benefit from new, upgraded and well done thematic sets added...
I would settle for a bunch of cast off props left to the jungle, something besides swamp

TrainsOfDisney

One of the biggest mistakes that Disney made was the small “expansion” to fantasyland. They new the park needed as much space as possible expansion wise. They should have expanded fantasyland all the way up to the railroad tracks and designed it to be see from the tracks as well.

Obviously with more attractions as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom