News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It has its diorama, the geysers now they work again, fantasyland bridge, crossing the Iasw facade and the Discoveryland bridge. Plus a great view around the back of Space Mountain. The emptiest (or prettiest depending on your point of view) area is the back of Adventureland through the original Indy expansion pad.

I don't remember the geysers. I must have missed other stuff before Discoveryland because I was too busy admiring the dirt, dust, and spider webs inside the train... :(

Lensman

I know it's not in the cards, but I'd love to see them update the Speedway at some point and totally revamp the technology. Instead of the reverse slot bumpers, I'd love to see some kind of automated lane keeping system - visual or with embedded sensors. And if they switch to electric motors, they could increase the performance of the cars, allowing them to really get up to speed on the straightaways - especially if they implement variable speed governance to limit the speed entering corners, etc.

I'd guess this is too much to hope for because it would essentially be a whole new attraction and really a whole new ride system.

I'd also love to see Speed Racer IP as I grew up with it, but I could also see it working well as a real user-controlled version of Radiator Springs Racers.

Also, I don't want to re-raise a polarizing argument, but I'm pretty sure the small engines in the current Speedway vehicles are much more polluting than current automobiles - even the so-called polluting hybrid vehicles. BTW, I suspect the reason non-plug-in hybrids have relatively high total lifecycle pollution costs are that they still derive all their power from their internal combustion engine. I also suspect that a lot of folks using EVs also have rooftop solar or are purchasing renewable power, as Disney will increasingly be doing.

Speedy71

I mean it's not like they don't have spare animatronics from a recently closed attraction to add to WDWRR...

DGS655392.jpg

DisneyDreamerxyz

With the Speedway closing long-term in a couple days- how much shorter do you think the track will be when they reopen it? seems like they'll have to re-route a large chunk of it and cut off the parts closest to space mountain to make a wider walkway/access point to the new area.

if you look at maps from the 70s the Speedway actually was bigger than it is now but it was reduced when they built the birthday funland on the other side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom