News Tomorrowland love

Splashin' Ryan

The lack of funding or creativity now is so aparent here its sad to see, the entire space has a curved open ceiling, and what element of the new design interacts with that?... zero! They hung lights from the ceiling all at one level as if its an apple store. Imagine all the things they could've done, think of maybe the new immersive wraparound LED screen in the new universal store at MCO, maybe some light strips to outline the curved ceiling, maybe a projection surface, maybe some flying lightcycles above, but nothing interacts with the actual space making it special.
Lets not forget this also completely destroys the storyline connection of the palm trees out front producing energy and being utilized inside the gift shop.
And those new smooth arches on the inside I'm sure just cover up the metal trusses that were already there. This is active de-theming at its finest and no one seems to care.

jmuboy

The lack of funding or creativity now is so aparent here its sad to see, the entire space has a curved open ceiling, and what element of the new design interacts with that?... zero! They hung lights from the ceiling all at one level as if its an apple store. Imagine all the things they could've done, think of maybe the new immersive wraparound LED screen in the new universal store at MCO, maybe some light strips to outline the curved ceiling, maybe a projection surface, maybe some flying lightcycles above, but nothing interacts with the actual space making it special.
Lets not forget this also completely destroys the storyline connection of the palm trees out front producing energy and being utilized inside the gift shop.
And those new smooth arches on the inside I'm sure just cover up the metal trusses that were already there. This is active de-theming at its finest and no one seems to care.
It was an ugly structure in the 90s. It’s ugly- just simplified ugly - today. I still want it leveled. It blocks the view of space mt which is a crime

Splashin' Ryan

It was an ugly structure in the 90s. It’s ugly- just simplified ugly - today. I still want it leveled. It blocks the view of space mt which is a crime
Agreed, I still feel even though it is widened, that the path along the side is far too small for such a major headligning attraction. The track on the left couldve been shortened as the track doesnt actually reach the wall or a brand new store couldve gone in there in a different shape.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Agreed, it also messes with the scale, making Space Mountain seem smaller than it would otherwise due to what used to work as forced perspective a bit, and this huge frigging gift shop that never needed to be that big/tall to begin with

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

The new Tomorrowland launch depot certainly does look a treat and improvement on the old theming. I just wish they could extend this singular theme throughout the entire land so its consistent

Eh. Looks like all the other bland stores Disney had made recently.

They could have painted the ceiling black and added some cool blue-neons with some screens or something... I dunno... It could have been a bigger deal.

James Alucobond

Eh. Looks like all the other bland stores Disney had made recently.

They could have painted the ceiling black and added some cool blue-neons with some screens or something... I dunno... It could have been a bigger deal.
Could it be cooler? Yes.

Does it look better than Star Traders, Cosmic Ray's, et al? Also yes.

There's always room for improvement and enhancement, but I like this look better than what's going on in most of the rest of Tomorrowland at the moment.

Does SP once again empty out into this, we'll, "space"?
Not yet, I don't think.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Could it be cooler? Yes.
Then JUST DO IT DISNEY!! For the LOVE OF POOP!! You are MORE THAN CAPABLE!!!!
Does it look better than Star Traders, Cosmic Ray's, et al? Also yes.
Cosmic Ray's looks better than this... And this doesn't look better than Star Traders as a gift shop in Tomorrowland. This is just another warehouse.
There's always room for improvement and enhancement,
THEN DO IT
but I like this look better than what's going on in most of the rest of Tomorrowland at the moment.
If I had a dollar for every case of "Well, at LEAST they did THIS..." that I have read in the past 3 days... Holy cow...

James Alucobond

Then JUST DO IT DISNEY!! For the LOVE OF POOP!! You are MORE THAN CAPABLE!!!!

THEN DO IT
Everything can ALWAYS be plussed. That doesn't mean it's necessarily deficient.
Cosmic Ray's looks better than this... And this doesn't look better than Star Traders as a gift shop in Tomorrowland. This is just another warehouse.
Sorry, but both of those locations have looked absolutely dreadful for a long time, like much of Tomorrowland, including the stage, many of the stores and kiosks, and the displays along the PeopleMover.
If I had a dollar for every case of "Well, at LEAST they did THIS..." that I have read in the past 3 days... Holy cow...
That's not what I said at all?
*looks at Main Street Confectionery and Creations* - sure seems like we are going backwards.
Disagree on the latter, especially compared to what came before it, but opinions aside, those are also pretty irrelevant to this specific discussion given that we've seen such wild inconsistency lately that it's not really worth trying to draw parallels between refurbishments.

James Alucobond

it’s irrelevant to compare refurbishments of merch locations?

I’m not aware of any positive merchandise refurbishments recently at wdw.
Just saying, there are obviously good and bad teams doing wildly different things right now, so it’s difficult to pin down a pattern. One restaurant refurbishment will be good, while the next will be massively out of touch with the theme. I just don’t think it’s fair to say the Confectionery is not great, therefore this is also not great. It probably has the nicest surfaces and point of sale displays in all of Tomorrowland. Sure, they could have stuck displays on the ceiling or whatever was suggested earlier to enhance the wow factor, but it’s not like that’s a feature of any other shop or restaurant in the entire land. Most of them just have drop ceilings!

aladdin2007

It looks better in there than it ever did before I think and its fitting for what its promoting. Space traders across the way or whatever its called however is absolute muck since they redid it. What still bothers me along with that space is, the sunglass shop in adventureland (which use to be a perfectly themed and great shopping space) the confectionary, and of course creations.

tparris

To be fair, it’s a holiday weekend and there was no crowding yesterday getting to TRON. I guess the paths work…
The clear “Tomorrowland” signage on the Barnstormer end of the Storybook Circus walkway definitely helps, and allows more people to be aware of its existence and where it actually goes. I feel the old path that was there before, while serving the same purpose, was better known as just a smoking area/quiet place than an actual pathway from point A to B. Even looking at old footage from the former walkway VS now shows the difference in the amount of food traffic the new one is getting.

Simon83079

Maybe some of that $17 billion can go into finishing what they started with this half-baked Tomorrowland redo and finally rehab CoP.
Oh aye. Tbh What id love to see is CoP return to Disneyland as Walt Disney's Theatre. As it was when it first got to Disneyland after the Worlds Fair. Meanwhile Disney World I would have as Walt Disney Presents the Carousel of Progress. With a Walt Animatronic presenting the show at the start then go into an updated version with an ensemble cast and newest AAs.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
it’s irrelevant to compare refurbishments of merch locations?

I’m not aware of any positive merchandise refurbishments recently at wdw.
To be honest, I agree with all of the others, but I really like the look of Creations Shop and LOVE the similar looking Connections Eatery. It screams like it’s in the style of OG EPCOT and is night and day better than what was there before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom