Tom Sawyer Island Makeover

righttrack

There is so much more to do in Magic Kingdom than mess with Tom Sawyer Island. The space probably isn't suitable for something else anyway, so likely all we would get is a character meet and greet there. Don't really need that, we need more of the moving type, imaginative attractions. I'd be more for adding another attraction to Adventureland to balance the park out better than add anything else in Frontierland.

Walt Disney1955

I'm 37, and I love going through the caves at Tom Sawyer Island. Why ruin a good thing? It is supposed to be the illusion of that timeframe. With the Liberty Belle circling around it you get that sense and that's the point. That is exactly the point with this attraction, you don't want it to be modernized. You ride it because it ISN'T from our time. Magic Kingdom has absolutely no excuse to tear it up as there is the blessing of space there. It takes you away from everything. You are literally transformed into a different era and that is what Disney is all about, an immersive experience. I hate to think of the "ideas" people would have if they ever turfed Tom Sawyer but I am confident they would b

Spike-in-Berlin

Yes they need to do something with TSI, they have to restore it to its old glory! Reopen Aunt Pollys, which was a perfect location for a light snack after you explored the island. Give us the guns back in the Fort, it's a FORT for goodness sake, it is a military installation and not a "welcome pavillion". Perhaps expand it even a little to the north, but keep it TSI and not some thrill ride paradise. And please, keep the rafts and keep it an island, that you need the rafts to get there is part of the experience.

Last edited:

Surfin' Tuna

The rafts were/are a huge part of what makes it seem "authentic," and I also assume it helps keep some of the traffic down on the island. Both of those are very good and important. I love TSI, and I am happy to see so many people on here do as well. That gives me hope, since I have worried for a while that it might go away. Being on that island one can almost forget the lines, the smells of the monorail, and the mold in Buzz. It's a slice of heaven in many ways. Kids not only need a place like that, but they need to be encouraged to enjoy it.

Dizney Crew

Yes please do something with this attraction, meet and greets or even keep the island open later, it closes at what 5 or 6? Why can't they keep it open till at least 8 or 9? If there not gonna get rid of it at least do something to it.

Spike-in-Berlin

Yes, there have been proposals to dock the boat and turn it into a TSR

Yes, there have been proposals to bridge the river and build an attraction on the island

Yes, there are proposals to build a connector around the river

Be careful what you wish for. Frontierland has acres of expansion area west of the railroad. The island and river, although heavily reduced over the years, still offer thematic placement, immersion, kinetics and an escape to somewhere unique in the park. To reduce it further would be one step too far.

Martin may I ask where exactly the expansion pads for FL are located?

Matt_Black

batmantom.jpg

Rumrunner

I like TSI just the way it is, and enjoy this classic attraction. What makes WDW special is a balance of experiences throughout the parks. Old or new, thrill rides or leisurely entertainment options—all can coexist in harmony.
I believe you have described how many feel about Disney. Without TSI I would have some very disappointed grandkids. They enjoy the adventure.

DisAl

If there was only an existing steamboat dining establishment on property...;)
Remember the Empress Lilly (now the Paddlefish) at what is now Disney Springs?
Not really a steamboat but it sure looked like one. I have not been at Disney Springs since the Paddlefish opened so I don't know what it looks like now.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Remember the Empress Lilly (now the Paddlefish) at what is now Disney Springs?
Not really a steamboat but it sure looked like one. I have not been at Disney Springs since the Paddlefish opened so I don't know what it looks like now.

It now looks like a 2000's era modernized re-imagining of a late 1900's Steamboat. This vs the previous romanticized design of an 1800's Showboat of yesteryear.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom