Tom Sawyer Island -> Ile D’Orleans

worldtrotter

The real Île d’Orléans is a few miles east of Quebec City, Canada in the middle of the St-Lawrence River. 74.5 square miles. It was first seen by Europeans in 1535 and is one of the first rural settlements in North America. It’s a big part of our French Canadian heritage.

Ghost93

Splash Mountain will be rethemed from Song of the South to Princess and the Frog (as it should), but I like the idea of creating Ille d'Orleans IN ADDITION to Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

One of the criticisms of Tiana's Bayou Adventure in Magic Kingdom is that it is inconsistent with the overall land. But if Tom Sawyer's Island was rethemed to Princess and the Frog, then the rethemed Splash Mountain — which is right across from the island — would feel less out of place.

J4546

I wish Tiana got her own space in a new waterfront new orleans themed land on the north side of Rivers, behind HM. Give the RoA a new cool waterfront area to look at, redevelop north TS island with a bayou vibe and make it a complete walkthrough with another pontoon boat entrance/exit on the north side.

Smiley/OCD

If they parked the riverboat permanently and converted it to a NOLA themed restaurant, they could build a permanent pedestrian bridge to get to TSI, level the island and add at least 2 attractions 1 being an E ticket…if I’m not mistaken, there’s still a pad behind TSI that can be developed as well.

Smiley/OCD

And if they raised the bridge high enough, they could design a boat ride with a newly designed airboat that could accommodate as many guests as the log rafts to go around the island and stop there as well with a few docks on both sides of the island.

Smiley/OCD

If they parked the riverboat permanently and converted it to a NOLA themed restaurant, they could build a permanent pedestrian bridge to get to TSI, level the island and add at least 2 attractions 1 being an E ticket…if I’m not mistaken, there’s still a pad behind TSI that can be developed as well.
I agree it would be sad…I love just going over and sitting by Polly’s and my girls loved searching for the paintbrushes back in the day…but unfortunately I think the writing is on the wall with TSI it’s too valuable a plot of land to leave in its present condition.

DCLcruiser

Splash Mountain will be rethemed from Song of the South to Princess and the Frog (as it should), but I like the idea of creating Ille d'Orleans IN ADDITION to Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

One of the criticisms of Tiana's Bayou Adventure in Magic Kingdom is that it is inconsistent with the overall land. But if Tom Sawyer's Island was rethemed to Princess and the Frog, then the rethemed Splash Mountain — which is right across from the island — would feel less out of place.

I like this idea, but Louisiana is primarily west of the Mississippi (Frontier), and much farther west that SM's Georgia setting. So it does fit the area technially. I do like the idea of making Pacos Bill's the French Quarter.

Ghost93

I think Disney will only develop the pad behind TSI once it decides to build a bridge to TSI and do away with the riverboat tours.

Smiley/OCD

I think Disney will only develop the pad behind TSI once it decides to build a bridge to TSI and do away with the riverboat tours.
Yes I think it’s a problem with accessibility getting back there…redevelop TSI and then the pad back there, of both at the same time.

Walt Disney1955

Thankfully some of these ideas won't happen. Why does Tom Sawyer Island always get trashed? It is literally the only place you can escape the crowds in the entire park. Also, I love Liberty Belle Riverboat. This is supposed to be Frontierland, you know? Isn't it already bad enough that arguably the park's best ride is being downgraded?

Smiley/OCD

Thankfully some of these ideas won't happen. Why does Tom Sawyer Island always get trashed? It is literally the only place you can escape the crowds in the entire park. Also, I love Liberty Belle Riverboat. This is supposed to be Frontierland, you know? Isn't it already bad enough that arguably the park's best ride is being downgraded?
I’m not trashing TSI…I’ve said that I do love going there and relaxing, but I’m also a realist and I know the value of that plot in the bigger MK picture tends to relegate it to its demise and replacement in the future. You know that the same group speaking against Splash are setting their sights on Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn et. al. as being problematic…

DCLcruiser

Tom Sawyer takes place on the Mississippi. Tiana takes place in Louisiana. They fit very well. SM is in Georgia, it doesn't make sense in Frontierland.

I have no issue with the Liberty Belle. Frankly, PatF has a river boat in the movie which fits perfectly. It is as if they created the movie to replace old attractions.

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.14.10 AM.png

Disstevefan1

Putting PatF smack-dab in the middle of Frontierland is a horrible idea in terms of theming.

In my last post on this subject, I floated the idea of building a New Orleans Square at WDW as a second Fantasyland expansion where the Tomorrowland Speedway stands now.

But I completely forgot about Tom Sawyer Island. Because let’s face it, TSI is rather forgettable as it stands today.

However, it’s a lot of good space to do something meaningful...such as turning it into “Ile D’Orleans”.
History buffs out there will tell you that the Ile D’Orleans was the spit of land between the Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain, and Lake Borgne that Thomas Jefferson sought to purchase from France in order to get the city of New Orleans...to which the French said “Oui, oui! Take it ALL!”

So...close down TSI. The southern end with Aunt Polly’s and Harpers Mill can become the “French Market” area, with meet and greets, Tiana’s Place restaurant and other New Orleans inspired goodies.
The north end, currently home to Fort Langhorn, can be renovated for an original PatF ride built from the ground up.

As for transportation to and from: kill the dinky little rafts. In their place, build a second riverboat dock for the Liberty Belle. Then, drain the Rivers of America and change the track configuration.

You board the Liberty Belle at Liberty Square, travel to the far end of Ile D’Orleans, then the Belle takes new passengers around the north end of the Island and back to Liberty Square Dock.

Downside: a lot more expensive than gutting and remaking Splash.
Upside: PatF gets represented, and a brand new attraction is built.

What say you?
You are forgetting TWDC really did not want to spend even one cent and leave Splash as is but they were forced to change Splash by the Twitter mob.

Side note. It seems to me if TWDC wants Tokyo to change their Splash, TWDC will have to pay the entire cost plus money for the inconvenience.

Smiley/OCD

You are forgetting TWDC really did not want to spend even one cent and leave Splash as is but they were forced to change Splash by the Twitter mob.

Side note. It seems to me if TWDC wants Tokyo to change their Splash, TWDC will have to pay the entire cost plus money for the inconvenience.
Oh, so THATS why they’re taking down the ToT billboard…to save $$$ so they can pay for THAT changeover…now I got it! Lol

Ghost93

I don't think Disney will be that mad if Tokyo never changes Splash, as the controversy surrounding the ride is specific to the United States.

FettFan

Original Poster

I think it’s less about Twitter mobs and more the fact that Disney Princess is a brand in itself, and there’s an opportunity for more merch sales.

This is the same reason Pixie Hollow was scrapped in favor of Storybook Circus.

From Jim Hill Media:

More to the point, Staggs — in his former role as CFO — was very aware of which stores at the Walt Disney World Resort generated the highest revenue. And given that County Bounty (i.e. that huge store which served as the post-show area for those super-popular character meet-n-greets which used to be offered to Guests in the Mickey's Toontown Fair portion of this theme park) was second only to the Magic Kingdom's Emporium in terms of highest-level-of-in-park-retail-sales…
Well, Tom really didn't like the idea of shutting down that terrific revenue stream just so the Imagineers could then build a full-sized version of the Pixie Dust Tree.

So Staggs reached out to the Imagineers and asked that they overhaul their Fantasyland expansion plans. Tom wanted WDI to take a far more balanced approach to this addition to the Magic Kingdom, making sure that there were rides, shows and attractions here that appealed to little boys as well as little girls. More to the point, Staggs ordered that the Imagineers find a way to keep County Bounty right where it was. So that once Fantasyland's facelift was completed, this super-popular
store could once again still service the Guests who were visiting this theme
park.

Source: https://jimhillmedia.com/why-for-di...ortion-on-wdws-fantasyland-expansion-project/

I’ll bet you dollars to pesos that in the revamped Splash gift shop, we’re going to see merch for all of the Disney Princess characters, especially the ones like Pocahontas and Merida that don’t easily fit anywhere else in the magic kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom