Tom Sawyer Island appreciation thread

LUVofDIS

Sadly, I have been visiting since 1994 and have never been there. We are going on our next trip. It is another attraction I have never done because I was told it was not worth the time. I have found time and time again that I cannot count on others opinion.

yaksplat

I love TSI. We hit it on every trip. The kids run around having a blast and we just relax for a bit. I did see something very interesting on my voyage there last year. A Velvet Ant, aka a cow killer.

Roakor

If you have young kids then Its a great place to let them roam and explore. If your a kid at heart then its a great place to roam and explore. If you have neither of these then why are you at Magic Kingdom?

Raineman

I've been to TSI once in my 4 trips to WDW. I liked it, alot of nooks and crannies to explore, but this would be something I could delve into more if I was a local and was able to visit MK often (I can say that about pretty much everything at WDW-the ability to go to the parks and just do a deep dive into all of the details and theming and not worry about doing the park commando thing is an ability I would love to have, and something I may not be able to do unless I decide to spend my winters in Orlando when I retire). I would be sad to see it go, but I think it is inevitable, as I believe one of the issues is that the younger generation has no attachment to the source material-most people from my era (Gen X-er) or earlier have read the book at least once and know the characters and locations.

JIMINYCR

Apparently, only during particularly busy times of the year. I haven't seen it open since the late 1980s.
In all our trips we were fortunate to hit it when it was open only one time. I had one of the best strawberry shortcakes Ive ever had. I hate wandering over and seeing it sit empty.

JIMINYCR

Remember looking for the hidden Tom Sawyer paint brush?? My DS went looking around and found it one time. We got over to the island early and he found it fairly quickly and was rewarded with a FP to splash Mtn. I cant remember what year it was but they discontinued the paint brush hunt sometime after that.

SKG

Love Tom Sawyer's Island. As others have said great place for kids to be kids and adults to relax. It's got everything kids love with no structure. Need more of this.

Hank Hill

Are the guns still in the fort? I wouldn't be surprised to see them go soon.

I love it over there, but it is a bit of a hassle to get there and back. Especially if you have plans.. I am glad the paint brushes are gone. The only time we even tried, the experience was ruined by terrible people. I imagine it got worse by the time they stopped. I do wish they had a few more rockers though. I refuse to hover around people waiting for one, and if it is busy, you never get one.

elcheapo

Are the guns still in the fort? I wouldn't be surprised to see them go soon.

I love it over there, but it is a bit of a hassle to get there and back. Especially if you have plans.. I am glad the paint brushes are gone. The only time we even tried, the experience was ruined by terrible people. I imagine it got worse by the time they stopped. I do wish they had a few more rockers though. I refuse to hover around people waiting for one, and if it is busy, you never get one.
As of last year I don’t remember the guns being there. The same way they yanked all the guns from the Pirates gift shop. Disney being PC now

jloucks

It is a very simple, old school attraction. As such, some will never appreciate it.

I for one have visited every single time I was in the park. I thrive on the nostalgia and the over calm atmosphere of the place.

Interestingly, my kids, and my sisters kid, love(ed) the place. They even found a rather large, and fortunately friendly, snake to run around with and "scare" each other with. ...another old school form of entertainment.

RobWDW1971

How about you don't give them any ideas? 😮
[/QUOTE]

Well they could just re-theme it and replace all of the Tom Sawyer references with the IP of their latest film, nah that would never happen...

(Cough, Pirates Lair at DL, Cough)

Last edited:

jloucks

Yup. And then we need to make the paths twenty feet wide and flat so scooters can ram their way through there. God forbid kids get to climb on rocks, crawl through caves, and climb ladders into forts. Sinc

Well they could just re-theme it and replace all of the Tom Sawyer references with the IP of their latest film, nah that would never happen...

(Cough, Pirates Lair at DL, Cough)
That is horrifying. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom