Toll free wdwdine number

AEfx

1) WDW doesn't have an #800 because they don't need to. They have all the calls they can handle to begin with, and they'd be full of people who aren't serious about visiting calling for the heck of it.

2) When you call a resort, you are sent to a main switchboard. This is because many of the things people THINK they need to call the resort for, they do not. This is why if you call from off-property you will be sent to a switchboard who will likely forward your call to CRO. The resort does not want nor need to hear from you until you show up in person. You don't even need to call direct for a late check-in, as they hold all ressies until the next morning (since you paid for the night in your deposit anyway).

That said, mousemerf, you often have good info and all - but there is no need to attack people or say you "hope they aren't idiots" when they don't understand something from your perspective or disagree with you. You and a few others cut people down on here habitually, and it really drags on the reputation of the entire site. Just something to think about before you press that "reply" button next time.

AEfx

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lets not argue about phone numbers! If a number is out there in the public domain, it will be found one way or another. If WDW dont care to answer it, I am sure it will be terminated and will then not be available.

DisneyPhD

Thanks for more level headed answer memebers. :)

Everyone understand Disney does thing for a reason. However it seems to me the reason is:

"We are going to get your money no mater what so why should we bother with a convenent toll free number for prospective guests." (and they do get my money.)

It just is about good customer service.

I would be interested to know what other fourtine 500 copmanys that deal with the puplic daily (are dependent on it) don't have toll free numbers.

I don't think their would be an influx of people calling who aren't really interesed and just clogging up lines. More likely people would call and end up going. (leading ot increased bussiness, but more crowds for us!:lookaroun )

However interent access is free if you have it. (not everyone does and you can't make ADR on the internent can you?) There are some numbers if you know where to look for it. Many people have taken long distance of their home phone and only use cell phones. However giving out your cc# on a cell phone isn't the best plan. :brick: (sometimes needed for ADR's now.)

It just is a pet peve of mine that company that big and the prides themselves on customer service doesn't aderstive toll free numbers. Espcailly when you call and get put on hold. :hammer:

(but then again I am DVC so I have a toll free number........) :lookaroun

I haven't seen the OP back. I wonder if we scared her off to "that other board" she originally found the number at? Hate to think that. She asked came to us for help and asked a question, and she got yelled at.

MickeyTigg

AEfx said:
When you call a resort, you are sent to a main switchboard. This is because many of the things people THINK they need to call the resort for, they do not. This is why if you call from off-property you will be sent to a switchboard who will likely forward your call to CRO. The resort does not want nor need to hear from you until you show up in person. You don't even need to call direct for a late check-in, as they hold all ressies until the next morning (since you paid for the night in your deposit anyway).

I doubt that it's CRO....they answer the phone with the name of the resort. I've never had a problem talking with resort people when I've called the listed number before I arrive.

That being said...I don't have a problem with Disney not having an 800 number. I really don't think it's hindering people from calling WDW. You're never really on the phone all that long, so it really doesn't add up to that much.

If it really is a problem, I suggest using a travel agent then and have them make the calls.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
I doubt that it's CRO....they answer the phone with the name of the resort. I've never had a problem talking with resort people when I've called the listed number before I arrive.

That being said...I don't have a problem with Disney not having an 800 number. I really don't think it's hindering people from calling WDW. You're never really on the phone all that long, so it really doesn't add up to that much.

If it really is a problem, I suggest using a travel agent then and have them make the calls.

They have a unit called an ANI (Automated Number Identification) that tells them the number you called from, and any extensions that you dialed through. So if the number you called was the "Port Orleans" number, then they will answer saying "Disney's Port Orleans Resort".

Hope that helps.

amejr999

The 800-828-0228 number is public- it's in just about every unofficial guidebook I've seen.

Resort calls (either externally, or by pressing the front desk button on your room phone), information calls, and most other calls are answered by the Resort Call Center, which is located near Downtown Disney. Only if they can't help you will they transfer you to the individual property.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Thrawn said:
They have a unit called an ANI (Automated Number Identification) that tells them the number you called from, and any extensions that you dialed through. So if the number you called was the "Port Orleans" number, then they will answer saying "Disney's Port Orleans Resort".

Hope that helps.

Not to mention greetings are prerecorded and automated to match the in-bound line. That's why you'll sometimes get a cheery greeting followed by a "not-so-interested" actual person.

Standard: Thank you for calling Walt Disney World (Reservations if a reservation line). This is (assigned name), how may I help you?

How do you know you've got a real person somewhere? Standard Disney phone etiquette in parks, resorts, etc..

Location - Real Name - Greeting

"Tony's Town Square, this is Olivia, how can I help you?"

If you get an area not used to Guest calls (aka: those which shouldn't get them), you'll just get Location - Name

"Dispatch, Bernard." or "Tower, Shelia" or "Theater 2, Maggy"

DisneyMissy

Original Poster
Wow, I really started a something here huh. That wasn't my intention. That being said, I CAN afford the long distance call. I just had that number I found before my last trip and used but I had misplaced it.

DisneyPhD

DisneyMissy said:
Wow, I really started a something here huh. That wasn't my intention. That being said, I CAN afford the long distance call. I just had that number I found before my last trip and used but I had misplaced it.

That is magic for you. We can't just post the info, but actually has to debate weither or not the info should be posted, what WDW should do instead and I am sure somehow it is Eniser fault! :lol: :lookaroun

MickeyTigg

Thrawn said:

Very interesting...thanks.

shoppingnut

What really annoys me is when I call for ADR's, the stupid survey that wastes my time and money when I'm calling LD. Why should I pay for them doing a survey.

Also, regarding getting your phone service through your cable company or an internet based service just to get free LD, it's not the greatest idea because if your power goes out, you will have no phone service. I know I won't switch any time soon because the phone company runs their power separate from everything else and when you have an old wall phone, you can still make calls.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
shoppingnut said:
What really annoys me is when I call for ADR's, the stupid survey that wastes my time and money when I'm calling LD. Why should I pay for them doing a survey.

Also, regarding getting your phone service through your cable company or an internet based service just to get free LD, it's not the greatest idea because if your power goes out, you will have no phone service. I know I won't switch any time soon because the phone company runs their power separate from everything else and when you have an old wall phone, you can still make calls.

I don't think I've lost power in 5 years ... yes, it is a problem, but most people don't have corded phones anymore, so for them it wouldn't make a difference.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
What stupid survey?

If you're refering to any questions you're asked - Disney gives out ADR's (a term people on the internet made up, it doesn't exist within Disney) and can choose what it requires for them. In short, you can't just decide you want a ressie - Disney gets what it wants or no ressie for you.

Disney owns the parks and resorts - they can do what they want with them.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'd like to add, if your power goes out, I'm hoping you realize there's more important matters at hand than making dining reservations at Disney World.

mousermerf maybe talking loud and carrying his big stick...but he is right on the points he has covered...perhaps the way he stated was a lilttle bit over agreesive for some...but you also have to think of it this way....not all matters can be handed like you are picking up a little kitten.

DisneyPhD

InsideOtherPark said:
mousermerf maybe talking loud and carrying his big stick...but he is right on the points he has covered...perhaps the way he stated was a lilttle bit over agreesive for some...but you also have to think of it this way....not all matters can be handed like you are picking up a little kitten.

And this is a "mater" important enough to be handling it like it is big tiger instead of kitten? There is no excuse for rudeness.

I think someone is rather grumpy lately and talking out on the internet instead of dealing with the actual problems.

And most maters can be handled in a gentle manor, but effectively. Take Steve for example! :) I have NEVER seen him rude and he always is effective.

Oh and shoppingnut wasn't talking about calling for PS during power outages, but a reason you might not want to get free long distance from cable comany's. No power = no phone service. We always have at least one corded phone in case of loss of power.

shoppingnut

mousermerf said:
I'd like to add, if your power goes out, I'm hoping you realize there's more important matters at hand than making dining reservations at Disney World.

My comment about the internet and cable company based phone sytems work had to do with some folks thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so you get free long distance. And if my power went out and I had nothing else to do because now you have nowhere to go or TV to watch, making ressie's doesn't seem like such a bad idea to pass some time.

shoppingnut

Thrawn said:
I don't think I've lost power in 5 years ... yes, it is a problem, but most people don't have corded phones anymore, so for them it wouldn't make a difference.

You should count yourself lucky because every summer we lose power at least once or twice from lightening storms. We have one corded phone for just that reason as well as if you need to get an ambulence or any emergency help you can. This is especially important when you have older people in the house.

DisneyPhD

shoppingnut said:
My comment about the internet and cable company based phone sytems work had to do with some folks thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so you get free long distance. And if my power went out and I had nothing else to do because now you have nowhere to go or TV to watch, making ressie's doesn't seem like such a bad idea to pass some time.

:lol:

Or you could read a book by candle light (can you say unoffical guide?). It that fails there is always that other thing people do when there isn't any interent or T.V. (you know the one. :lol: :lookaroun )

Acutally I haven't made my PS for our next trip yet. I hate planning the trip out too much. Most the time in the past we were fine, but with the popularity of the new dining plan I am concerned it might be harder to get in. Still most of the palces I want we get in the past with no problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom