Tokyo DisneySea Turns 20

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
On September 4th 2001, the Oriental Land Company opened Tokyo DisneySea, the second gate of the newly rechristened Tokyo Disney Resort.

1630750698827.jpeg

1630750752622.jpeg

1630750783478.jpeg

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I’ll never forget in 2002 when I walked under the Mira Costa and saw that breathtaking view for the first time. Back then, photos and information in English were scarce on the internet. So while I had an idea of what the park was about, I did not expect to be this blown away. (Quite a different reaction from when I visited that other Disney park that opened in 2001 ;))

I still get that same feeling each time I enter this park!

Last edited:

tanc

Can't wait for 2023, I know some people may think that Fantasy Springs may not be a positive expansion, but the budget for it alone seems to be pretty crazy. It will be so cool to see so many different Disney sections, I am not sure if the US parks would ever get what Disney Sea is getting.

SweetDuffy101

I can Guarantee that Fantasy Springs will blow peoples mind in 2023. I already have my expectations on the fantasy springs hotel rate with its most expensive disney hotel ever built in tokyo $1200 per night would be the cheapest rate. and goes up to $7500-$10000 for the grand and biggest suite. and partner it up with an optional ($3000-$6000 per person optional paid fastpass/VIP tour for 6 hours on all offerings and shows.)

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
I can Guarantee that Fantasy Springs will blow peoples mind in 2023. I already have my expectations on the fantasy springs hotel rate with its most expensive disney hotel ever built in tokyo $1200 per night would be the cheapest rate. and goes up to $7500-$10000 for the grand and biggest suite. and partner it up with an optional ($3000-$6000 per person optional paid fastpass/VIP tour for 6 hours on all offerings and shows.)
1630893598096.jpeg

fradz

Happy birthday to the most beautiful theme park in the world. Can't wait to be back! My first visit was on one of its earlier birthdays. Hopeful for Fantasy Springs as well :)

BasiltheBatLord

I went today.

With the state of emergency capacity limit, crowds are still quite thin. Wait times for E-tickets were around 20-35 mins all day. I was able to ride Center of the Earth 3x and IJA 2x. Soaring and Midway Mania are the only attractions requiring standby pass. Soaring ran out of passes less than an hour after park opening as usual. (Also I was talking with a CM about Midway Mania and they didn’t understand what I was talking about, I forgot the official name here is “Toy Story Mania” and in typical Japanese fashion if you aren’t using the precise official name then you might as well be speaking an alien dialect).

As has been previously mentioned, the 20th anniversary stuff is limited to minor decorations, a brief “harbor greeting”, and merch/food. It’s a very low profile celebration, if you go in expecting much you will likely be very disappointed.

Tower of Terror’s preshow is back, they were skipping it last time I was here. Also noticed for the first time FastPass signage has been removed from many (all?) attractions. Likely confirms that FP as it was is never returning to TDR. The kiosks are still there.

Fantasy Springs construction is well along, you can see an entire huge show building that looks completely finished, it’s already been painted go-away green. You can also make out the Neverland mountain under construction. This was the first time I’ve been to TDS where I could clearly make out where Fantasy Springs’ entrance is going to go (in-between Raging Spirits and Arabian Coast). The Toy Story Hotel looks pretty much completely finished from the outside.

I will save my thoughts on the park itself because they will likely just people off.

Happy 20th, even though it’s a minor one!

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

I am intrigued. Do tell more. :D
Since you asked:

I have always found TDS to be one of the most overrated Disney parks. Aesthetically speaking it's wonderful and it's without a doubt the most thematically consistent "secondary park" in the Disney portfolio, but it's hurt badly by a lack of enough things to do. It just doesn't have enough worthwhile E-tickets and as a result it pales in comparison to TDL for getting your day's worth.

It's also a park that feels very stuck in the 2000s. Some people may like that and say it's a positive, and I would admit that in some respects it probably is a good thing considering what Disney is like these days, but if you live in Japan and go more often that just a one-time vacation you start to notice the stagnation of it.

Fantasy Springs has the potential to fix many of these issues, but ironically it's also probably the biggest threat to the park's coherent theme in its history so far.

Even in Japan, most people I talk to say they prefer TDS over TDL, but for me there's just no comparison. If you want a more built out park with a lot more things to do for your money's worth, TDL wins every time.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

Since you asked:

I have always found TDS to be one of the most overrated Disney parks. Aesthetically speaking it's wonderful and it's without a doubt the most thematically consistent "secondary park" in the Disney portfolio, but it's hurt badly by a lack of enough things to do. It just doesn't have enough worthwhile E-tickets and as a result it pales in comparison to TDL for getting your day's worth.

It's also a park that feels very stuck in the 2000s. Some people may like that and say it's a positive, and I would admit that in some respects it probably is a good thing considering what Disney is like these days, but if you live in Japan and go more often that just a one-time vacation you start to notice the stagnation of it.

Fantasy Springs has the potential to fix many of these issues, but ironically it's also probably the biggest threat to the park's coherent theme in its history so far.

Even in Japan, most people I talk to say they prefer TDS over TDL, but for me there's just no comparison. If you want a more built out park with a lot more things to do for your money's worth, TDL wins every time.
:facepalm:. okay so why bother going there if you have alot of negative issues about the park. we all have opinions. But whats your intake of improving a park with so called quote on quote lacking things to do ? Is it because OLC doesnt have the seasonal events now or you want more contemporary based offerings, because from what im hearing is that oh its the same attraction or offerings from other parks and im kinda tired of it i want something new and fresh.

and let me tell you this Tokyo DisneySea when imagineers offer something at OLC, It is the hardest park to add offerings because the company that owns the parks specifically wants every new offerings to be themed according to its environment.

BasiltheBatLord

:facepalm:. okay so why bother going there if you have alot of negative issues about the park. we all have opinions. But whats your intake of improving a park with so called quote on quote lacking things to do ? Is it because OLC doesnt have the seasonal events now or you want more contemporary based offerings, because from what im hearing is that oh its the same attraction or offerings from other parks and im kinda tired of it i want something new and fresh.

and let me tell you this Tokyo DisneySea when imagineers offer something at OLC, It is the hardest park to add offerings because the company that owns the parks specifically wants every new offerings to be themed according to its environment.
See I knew people would get annoyed about this 🤷‍♂️ I gave my opinion because he asked for it.

I don’t go to TDS very often, I went this week cause it’s the 20th anniversary month and I hadn’t been in a while (I also still haven’t been able to ride Soaring)

I would like to see more E-tickets, preferably unique ones and preferably ones that aren’t comically short like Center of the Earth.

It looks like Fantasy Springs will give TDS those things, although ironically at the expense of the thematic integrity which the park is so often praised for.

European1992

Since you asked:

Fair points. I have never been there and I cannot wait to visit but I am aware of the lack of attractions. That Little Mermaid section looks like a missed opportunity.

amjt660

Premium Member
I agree with @BasiltheBatLord that the park does not have a lot of attractions compared to the DL parks.

The same can be said about DCA and DS

At WDW a similar argument could be made that other than MK the other parks are low on attractions.

Disney Sea continues to sell the theme and the detail - which for me is fine since I have only gone twice (2006 and 2016)

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom