Tokyo Disneyland/Sea expands!

dagobert

Since there are two topics for the TDR expansion in the upcoming years, I'm going to post here too.

Looks great, but did OLC postpone or cancel the Frozen Land for TDS and the relocation of IASW?

The Big Hero 6 ride doesn't look impressive, but I'm sure it will be a decent ride.

SweetDuffy101

Original Poster
Since there are two topics for the TDR expansion in the upcoming years, I'm going to post here too.

Looks great, but did OLC postpone or cancel the Frozen Land for TDS and the relocation of IASW?

The Big Hero 6 ride doesn't look impressive, but I'm sure it will be a decent ride.
They said that this is just the confirmed attractions.
regarding to past announcements there are still changes being made. for now the offerings that were annouce today are all confirmed attractions. there will still be more news to come within the next few months and it says That they are Re-imagining the resort in a whole new Level. DisneySea will have new stories to tell within the upcoming years. and Disneyland too as well.

dagobert

They said that this is just the confirmed attractions.
regarding to past announcements there are still changes being made. for now the offerings that were annouce today are all confirmed attractions. there will still be more news to come within the next few months and it says That they are Re-imagining the resort in a whole new Level. DisneySea will have new stories to tell within the upcoming years. and Disneyland too as well.

That sounds good, so Frozen and the moving of IASW aren't off the table.

I read somewhere that the BATB attraction was also planned for DLP before they changed it to Ratatouille.

EDIT: I found it: https://twitter.com/PhotosMagiques/status/725240318153596928

Herbie

Along with Alice & Small World & Dumbo relocation, they didn't mention anything about the Nemo ride either. Hmm.

RandySavage

How many ways can the do Mater's Junkyard Jamboree? A Buzz Lightyear version and now a Big Hero 6 version.
Infinite? The original MK Fantasyland plans called for a Pixie version of it.
600x338

CJR

If I were a betting man, which I can be sometimes, I'd say they'll drop the IASW project, but keep the Frozen one, albeit tweaked. The plans I saw at LP would suggest to me that if the Small World project were still on the table, it would have changed significantly.

ThemeParkTraveller

It makes me a bit uneasy about the state of plans. I wonder if Toontown will perhaps be cut instead for Alice.

It would seem counterintuitive to build a new M&G facility in Toontown if they had any plans to axe it. I'd guess they still want to build Alice where small world is now for thematic coherence, but the question is if and where they plan to rebuild it.

BrianLo

It would seem counterintuitive to build a new M&G facility in Toontown if they had any plans to axe it. I'd guess they still want to build Alice where small world is now for thematic coherence, but the question is if and where they plan to rebuild it.

Which is why I'm uneasy. Even though I hold no particular affinity for Small World especially considering it's easily one of the worst versions world wide, it would seem a shame to lose Small World for a BH6 whip ride.

There is a sizable amount of land to use behind tomorrow land though via the parking lots, so it's still possible to rebuild it by slipping narrowly behind something.

I'm generally excited for the plans, but they are honestly being glacial. Soarin was something that should have opened this year in time with TDS' 15th anniversary. Without knowing anything of the park on my first visit in 2011 I remarked that they would probably put a Soarin clone on that plot. Will certainly help the park feel a bit less lop-sided with attraction placement.

ThemeParkTraveller

Which is why I'm uneasy. Even though I hold no particular affinity for Small World especially considering it's easily one of the worst versions world wide, it would seem a shame to lose Small World for a BH6 whip ride.

There is a sizable amount of land to use behind tomorrow land though via the parking lots, so it's still possible to rebuild it by slipping narrowly behind something.

I'm generally excited for the plans, but they are honestly being glacial. Soarin was something that should have opened this year in time with TDS' 15th anniversary. Without knowing anything of the park on my first visit in 2011 I remarked that they would probably put a Soarin clone on that plot. Will certainly help the park feel a bit less lop-sided with attraction placement.

Small World apparently has structural issues, so it is unlikely to remain very long in its current form either way. I also hope they rebuild a plussed version instead of just removing it. The original plans did show them pushing the FL expansion into the parking lot, but it now seems to be restricted to the pad occupied by the Speedway.

And I couldn't agree more about their pace. It really shouldn't take 4 years to build Soarin', not when Universal is putting up major attractions in 2 years or less. I'm really hoping the new port is still within their 5-year plan and not something for 2021 and beyond.

Travel Junkie

Regarding the pace of Tokyo's expansions recently I think there are a few factors in play:

- OLC has not been happy with what Disney is producing of late
- Japan's economy is not performing well. Even if the theme parks are busy, it's scary to undergo expensive projects during uncertain economic times.
- WDI is spread thin right now thanks to Shanghai

The possible good news is that a theme park war could be brewing between Shanghai and Toyko. We may see the two resorts trying to outdo each other in the years ahead.

Jones14

Regarding the pace of Tokyo's expansions recently I think there are a few factors in play:

- OLC has not been happy with what Disney is producing of late
- Japan's economy is not performing well. Even if the theme parks are busy, it's scary to undergo expensive projects during uncertain economic times.
- WDI is spread thin right now thanks to Shanghai

The possible good news is that a theme park war could be brewing between Shanghai and Toyko. We may see the two resorts trying to outdo each other in the years ahead.

And the bad news is that the stateside parks will suffer for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom