Tokyo Disneyland/Sea expands!

Greenkai3000

Any idea when they might give us a final opening date for all the new attractions/lands? Not sure how far in advance the OLC usually does this in general. It'd be awesome if they were all ready for Xmas 2017

RandySavage

Any idea when they might give us a final opening date for all the new attractions/lands? Not sure how far in advance the OLC usually does this in general. It'd be awesome if they were all ready for Xmas 2017
Unfortunately, it's going to require much more patience. Even when ground breaks (site prep hasn't begun yet), TDR builds at a fairly glacial pace (similar to WDW). Then there is the recently announced "reconsideration period" - meaning potential downscale and further delay.

If things announced in early 2015 began site prep early 2016, you'd be looking at a minimum post 2020 for completion of all phases, since the building inside TDL will be extremely complicated in this crowded park. Now things appear to be stalled and in tailspin, with rumors of unavailable labor due to the Tokyo Olympics.

Bottom line: I'm guessing you're looking at years and years for it to be all done - if what was proposed actually ends up happening. TDL might not even have Phase I in vertical by Xmas 2017, since there would need to be heavy deconstruction/prep. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Last edited:

Robbiemoo

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the plans for Star Wars land stateside. I could see this being huge in Japan as long queues for R2D2 popcorn show how much the Japanese love all things Jedi. Maybe plans will be revised to include Luke Skywalker & co.

RandySavage

^ I didn't know about the popcorn lines (BB-8 should be adored by kawaii fans) and am no expert on Japan, but I recall hearing and reading over the years that while Star Wars is popular everywhere, including Japan, it is less popular in Japan than one might expect. Recent headlines also seem to back that up:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/22/star-...e-box-office-everywhere-except-japan-5580513/

Also recall reading that, for a jam-packed park, wait times at Tokyo Star Tours were very low prior to being upgraded and are still not that high with the new version (yes, it has very large capacity in Tokyo with 8 sims).

Like everyone, I want to see TDR expand big and asap, but the rumor OLC is considering Star Wars Land may be wishful thinking by fans.

TheDisneyTeen

^ I didn't know about the popcorn lines (BB-8 should be adored by kawaii fans) and am no expert on Japan, but I recall hearing and reading over the years that while Star Wars is popular everywhere, including Japan, it is less popular in Japan than one might expect. Recent headlines also seem to back that up:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/22/star-...e-box-office-everywhere-except-japan-5580513/

Also recall reading that, for a jam-packed park, wait times at Tokyo Star Tours were very low prior to being upgraded and are still not that high with the new version (yes, it has very large capacity in Tokyo with 8 sims).

Like everyone, I want to see TDR expand big and asap, but the rumor OLC is considering Star Wars Land may be wishful thinking by fans.

The queue for the r2d2 popcorn bucket was more than 3 hours on the first day, from what I've heard...... crazy isn't it? :p In a way, it's true that Star Wars isn't as huge of a deal in Japan, though I would say more and more Japanese are getting into the path of the Jedi, especially since Star Wars is a Disney property now. (They love all things Disney)
Just my thoughts!

EngineJoe

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the plans for Star Wars land stateside. I could see this being huge in Japan as long queues for R2D2 popcorn show how much the Japanese love all things Jedi. Maybe plans will be revised to include Luke Skywalker & co.

I think it's more they want to time it to roll out for all the visitors during the Olympic year in 2020.

Sped2424

Bumping this thread again because what is going on with the status of their multi billion expansion. Strange how it's almost silent beyond the supposed dev period being extended. I hate to do this but has any insider heard anything? @marni1971 ? @Disneyhead'71 @WDW1974

Last edited:

RandySavage

^I'd be interested in hearing the actual story too, because two people dropped seemingly opposing rumors a few months back:

1. 'OLC was downsizing/re-evaluating the project and Imagineers assigned to it were being let go.' This was possibly connected to the lack of availability/affordability of Japanese construction companies due to the Olympics.

2. 'OLC had planned to begin clearing/building by now but WDI (directing all its available resources towards finishing Shanghai) didn't have the manpower to have the Tokyo projects where they needed to be at the end of 2015 (possibly a factor in Bruce Vaughn's dismissal?).' Hence the "evaluation period" extension.

Sped2424

^I'd be interested in hearing the actual story too, because two people dropped seemingly opposing rumors a few months back:

1. 'OLC was downsizing/re-evaluating the project and Imagineers assigned to it were being let go.' This was possibly connected to the lack of availability/affordability of Japanese construction companies due to the Olympics.

2. 'OLC had planned to begin clearing/building by now but WDI (directing all its available resources towards finishing Shanghai) didn't have the manpower to have the Tokyo projects where they needed to be at the end of 2015 (possibly a factor in Bruce Vaughn's dismissal?).' Hence the "evaluation period" extension.
See I feel you are right and there is something to be said here. What is going on? Cuts? or is this related to man power at wdi? Or Shanghai running late and all attention being put there?

Feed the birds

The queue for the r2d2 popcorn bucket was more than 3 hours on the first day, from what I've heard...... crazy isn't it? :p In a way, it's true that Star Wars isn't as huge of a deal in Japan, though I would say more and more Japanese are getting into the path of the Jedi, especially since Star Wars is a Disney property now. (They love all things Disney)
Just my thoughts!

There's definitely a sizeable star wars nerd community in Japan. I encountered Star Wars collectors shops in Tokyo that I never do elsewhere. However the Star Wars ride in TDL had no queues whn I visited in the summer, even though it was an incredible ride.

Sped2424

and all of the things that has been announced today will opens starting next year through 2020.
Can you read japanese? Is the big hero 6 attraction the one in the image? Is that going into tomorrowland over there? And What is that new theater? Is there a show going there? Sorry so many questions but sadly I can't translate any of it :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom