Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

PiratesMansion

I read that it was a response to the aging population of Japan and the general guest demographics of TDR vs another theme park like USJ. They mentioned moving forward they want attractions that the entire family can enjoy together, particularly the grandparents. I'm not sure if that necessarily rules out all attractions with a height requirement though. Raging Spirits and Tower of Terror are very popular with a core segment of the guests, but they failed to increase attendance at the park in a significant way like Toy Story Mania did.

That makes sense. Then again, their stated aim for building the park and intentionally targeting older demographics has kind of fallen apart with some of the more recent attraction/show decisions they've made.

So was Tower of Terror NOT a huge draw? I got the impression that it was one of their biggest additions ever, but maybe that was just from the perspective of more western mindsets and/or it was one of their biggest attractions in terms of expense only.

Ironically I think the US parks need to cool it on the thrill rides a bit and build more attractions the entire family can enjoy and Tokyo, DisneySea specifically, could use *slightly* more than what they already have. Something grand and elaborate to match the rest of the park. As a visitor, it cries out for something beyond a children's coaster and a glorified portable coaster, even if only for a single one.

I really hate the mindset that something isn't 'Disney' if there aren't 30 characters barking at you from every square inch of everything. It's patronizing, condescending, and treats consumers like they're indiscriminate infants. Most of Disney's best stuff has been a direct result of when they tried to break away from the box people put them in. The only time that didn't really work was when they tried to go cheap, and from that they learned the wrong lesson. There's nothing more Disney to me than Pirates, Mansion, Space, Indy, Epcot, Kilimanjaro Safaris, DisneySea, and other things in that vein. If it was just Mickey everywhere and nothing else I would never have gotten into this hobby or followed the company long term. Characters (and by extension the IP they represent) are great in moderation, but no matter what Disney's talking points are now, they should not be the entire point of the enterprise.

ThemeParkTraveller

So was Tower of Terror NOT a huge draw? I got the impression that it was one of their biggest additions ever, but maybe that was just from the perspective of more western mindsets and/or it was one of their biggest attractions in terms of expense only.

Tower of Terror was their biggest investment for a single attraction at that point. Attendance only increased by a little over 2% the year after it opened, so it likely wasn't the huge draw OLC was looking for (maybe the financial crisis of 2007-2008 had a negative effect). Attendance was more or less stagnant until Toy Story Mania opened.

Toni25

:facepalm: Tokyo DisneySEA was quintessential Disney.
It can be quintessential Disney WITHOUT including references to Disney Animation.
Duffy refers to the fact that it did not include many IPs, which resulted in original rides and park character.
Initially, the only Disney Animation related Ride/Area was Little Mermaid.
(EPCOT for example used to be a Disney park that did not including any IPs at all)

I totally understand the frustration of turning every Disney Park into a Magic Kingdom/Studio park, by infusing it with areas inspired by movies, repeatedly, like copy/paste. It becomes a bit useless to theme a second gate or 3rd gate since it's all the same (might as well just call it Magic Kingdom 2, 3 and 4). It feels like no matter how many gates you get, they're not that different in concept, they're not as original, not much to set them apart...just an extension of the franchise.

Jose

Oooops, didn't think of that...it makes SO MUCH SENSE, of course!
Can we speculate what could replace Peter Pan ride over at the main park? Maybe Alive in wonderland?
I have no idea, but I would bet on a phase 2 of New Fantasyland: demolishing the tent façades, remaking the cups and Dumbo, and replacing Pan.

ThemeParkTraveller

Is that parking lot TDS property? Even if it is, that would require a reroute of not only the monorail and service road, but also a main road. Could be a mess.

I believe OLC owns all the land under and around the hotels in that corner. You're right that it would be a hassle to properly use all that space, but this is one of the last remaining expansion pads for the park. I imagine they would want to utilize every acre they have before they actually run out of expansion space. They could also build around the monorail (much like how the monorail runs through DL/DCA and Epcot) if they don't want to reroute the track.

Robbiem

I believe OLC owns all the land under and around the hotels in that corner. You're right that it would be a hassle to properly use all that space, but this is one of the last remaining expansion pads for the park. I imagine they would want to utilize every acre they have before they actually run out of expansion space. They could also build around the monorail (much like how the monorail runs through DL/DCA and Epcot) if they don't want to reroute the track.
Having the monorail pass through an attraction like the railroad theough the primeval world would be cool. I suspect that the line would need to continue as its the main way for most visitors to get to Disneysea so construction will be difficult in that area, maybe thats why they changed the location of the new land?

Toni25

OMG, this looks so good! The little COURTYARD :cry:

Beast.png

I wish I could be there...this has to bet THE BEST addition to any Fantasyland, EVER.
Years ago, the 7 dwarfs mine train excited me...but this blows that out of the water.

Original source:

Lintemuthstudios

OMG, this looks so good! The little COURTYARD :cry:

View attachment 478861

I wish I could be there...this has to bet THE BEST addition to any Fantasyland, EVER.
Years ago, the 7 dwarfs mine train excited me...but this blows that out of the water.

Original source:

Man, Japan is always showing the States up in terms on theme park quality.

Depending on how efficiently they utilize the extra space, there's up to 14 acres of land to work with. That's double the size of Arabian Coast.

View attachment 478613

Sorry for quoting you again (and I doubt this will happen), but imagine if they put an adjusted Galaxy's Edge on that land.

Animaniac93-98

I thought it was interesting how that’s the only ride that will be closed, I guess cause of the ride vehicles being completely enclosed and probably having poor ventilation.

They only seat 6 people each. They could always load one person/group/couple per vehicle.

I got to have one to myself last September close to park close. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom