Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

Supersnow84

Drone video released, looks absolutely amazing.

For some reason I was expecting a lot more of the actual park. Not just overviews of the replica we’ve seen before
Quite possibly some of the least imaginative attraction names to ever come out of WDI. A colossal disappointment for the time we’ve had to spend waiting on their reveals.

- Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Journey
- Rapunzel’s Lantern Festival
- Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure
I wanna say this is to do with translation, the name has to make sense in both English and Japanese at least

thundermtnGOAT

For some reason I was expecting a lot more of the actual park. Not just overviews of the replica we’ve seen before

I wanna say this is to do with translation, the name has to make sense in both English and Japanese at least
I’d agree if this wasn’t already becoming an all too common naming convention in the states. TDS and TDL have plenty of unique attraction names that are creative without losing meaning in translation.

tanc

Premium Member

The thing is that they seem to be using 外来語 (like foreign loan words) anyway so it doesn't even matter. It's not like they picked complex names. These names are something a 6 year old could come up with. It's Tiana's Bayou all over again. I guess it gets the point across, but how many times can you use the word adventure for attractions

ParkPeeker

Drone video released, looks absolutely amazing.

Huh that's weird, I've seen that model video of the tangled area 2 years ago when it was released, but I just noticed that in addition to Rapunzel in her tower, Flynn and Maximus models are also seen, clearly as part of the outdoor portion of the ride. And it makes me wonder if they're animatronics... or just plain static statues like voyage to the crystal grotto

PiratesMansion

Quite possibly some of the least imaginative attraction names to ever come out of WDI. A colossal disappointment for the time we’ve had to spend waiting on their reveals.

You were anxiously awaiting name reveals from modern Disney and expecting perfection?

jrhwdw

You were anxiously awaiting name reveals from modern Disney and expecting perfection?
Don't those titles get right to the point of the Attraction??

thundermtnGOAT

Don't those titles get right to the point of the Attraction??
I’m just saying imagineering is just getting into a habit with naming things rather than coming up with names that are unique, thoughtful, and creative. Not everything needs to be the name of the character followed by Adventure or Journey.

Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
Ratatouille: the Adventure
Webslingers: a Spider-man Adventure (this gets some points for Webslingers)
Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
Indiana Jones Adventure

The ”Journey” rides are a little more forgivable. Not as many and there are some gems like Journey into Imagination and Pinocchio’s Daring Journey.

But Adventure is approaching rapid overkill.

Last edited:

thundermtnGOAT

i.e. "Space Mountain."
Nah SM is incredibly creative because it creates mystery and curiosity. The idea of a mountain and space together fundamentally does not make sense based on what perceived understanding the audience has about space, so they don’t really know what they’re getting themselves into. It builds excitement yet is so simple without giving away the entire premise of the story. It’s brilliant naming.

jaxonp

I’m just saying imagineering is just getting into a habit with naming things rather than coming up with names that are unique, thoughtful, and creative. Not everything needs to be the name of the character followed by Adventure or Journey.

How else would one decide to ride it if Norah and Zander don't see "Tiana's" name attached to the rest of the attraction ala Tiana's River Mess down in the bayou full of frogs, water and the ultimate finale in an even more adventurous Tiana themed gift shop full wondrous treasures.

But... no. They could have gone through the entire process they're doing now and continued to call it Splash Mountain. The name is iconic but today's Disney does not care. Expect more of the same for future attractions. Just wait until they decide to permanently add IP to Space Mountain. Enjoy that name while it lasts.

thundermtnGOAT

How else would one decide to ride it if Norah and Zander don't see "Tiana's" name attached to the rest of the attraction ala Tiana's River Mess down in the bayou full of frogs, water and the ultimate finale in an even more adventurous Tiana themed gift shop full wondrous treasures.

But... no. They could have gone through the entire process they're doing now and continued to call it Splash Mountain. The name is iconic but today's Disney does not care. Expect more of the same for future attractions. Just wait until they decide to permanently add IP to Space Mountain. Enjoy that name while it lasts.
Full Stop. Should have been called Splash Mountain: Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. Just add a subtitle like Star Tours.

Markiewong

Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
Ratatouille: the Adventure
Webslingers: a Spider-man Adventure (this gets some points for Webslingers)
Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
Indiana Jones Adventure

The ”Journey” rides are a little more forgivable. Not as many and there are some gems like Journey into Imagination and Pinocchio’s Daring Journey.

But Adventure is approaching rapid overkill.

Full Stop. Should have been called Splash Mountain: Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. Just add a subtitle like Star Tours.

This has to be bait. There is no way that you were actually waiting all this time for the reveal of the attraction names. Besides they are pretty much on par with all other Tokyo Disney names. Some examples:
  • Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  • Western River Railroad
  • Venetian Gondola's
  • Fortress Exploration
  • Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  • Jasmine's Flying Carpets
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Journey to the center of the earth
  • 20th thousend leagues under the sea (both of these are just the book name)
Almost all of them are pretty descriptive rides. I do agree that they are overusing adventure a bit right now, but I have the same complain about mountain for a certain time period. But Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure is an awful awful awful name.

Last edited:

thundermtnGOAT

This has to be bait. There is no way that you were actually waiting all this time for the reveal of the attraction names. Besides they are pretty much on par with all other Tokyo Disney names. Some examples:
  • Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  • Western River Railroad
  • Venetian Gondola's
  • Fortress Exploration
  • Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  • Jasmine's Flying Carpets
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Journey to the center of the earth
  • 20th thousend leagues under the sea (both of these are just the book name)
Almost all of them are pretty descriptive rides. I do agree that they are overusing adventure a bit right now, but I have the same complain about mountain for a certain time period. But Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure is an awful awful awful name.
Not bait. These attractions were announced over four years ago and delayed multiple times - with the initial opening supposed to be in FY22.

All I’m saying is if the names were going to be this basic, you could have announced them at D23.

Ride and Go Seek and Hunny Hunt are PERFECT examples of good attraction naming that are creative without being too literal or bland. Journey and Leagues are fantastic names bc they are attractions literally based on the source material. It makes since they share the names based on the books they’re based on.

Today’s WDI would have named them Monster’s Ink Flashlight Adventure or Pooh’s Hunny Pot Journey.

We’ll agree to disagree on Tiana. I think it protects the iconography of the original, treating the mountain like a venue that is now hosting a different story. People are always going to call it Splash Mountain regardless of the name.

WaltWiz1901

In addition to the above video, the OLC also issued a press release detailing what attractions and facilities Fantasy Springs will bring (with their official names this time):
Frozen Kingdom
Set after the events of the Disney Animation film Frozen, Frozen Kingdom is full of happiness now that Elsa has embraced her powers to create ice and snow. In the Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Journey attraction, which follows the story of the film, guests board a boat and enjoy an epic and heartwarming tale of two sisters that discover only true love can thaw a frozen heart. The attraction also features the film’s well-known songs. Additionally, guests can dine at the Royal Banquet of Arendelle restaurant located in Arendelle Castle, which has both an indoor dining area and a covered outdoor dining area with views of the fjord cliffs and mountains in the distance. Guests can also stop by Oaken’s OK Foods, run by Oaken, the owner of the trading post and sauna that is featured in the film.
Rapunzel’s Forest
In Rapunzel’s Forest stands a tower where the long-haired princess Rapunzel has lived since she was a child. Here, guests can enjoy the Rapunzel's Lantern Festival attraction, and experience Rapunzel’s “best day ever” as she falls in love with Flynn Rider on a romantic boat ride to the annual Lantern Festival. Over at The Snuggly Duckling restaurant, where the local rough-and-tumble crowd gathers, guests can enjoy a meal in a variety of atmospheric dining areas.
Peter Pan’s Never Land
In Peter Pan’s Never Land, guests can explore a pirate ship, dine in a secret hideaway, or go on a great adventure with their friends as they encounter pirates. In the attraction Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure, guests join the Lost Kids, a group of fun-loving and adventurous children, and explore Never Land with Peter Pan and Tinker Bell to rescue John from Captain Hook and his band of pirates. Additionally, guests can enjoy dining at Lookout Cookout, a restaurant created by the Lost Kids from parts of a shipwreck that had washed ashore, with spectacular views of Never Land. Pixie Hollow, the fairy valley where Tinker Bell lives, can also be found in Peter Pan’s Never Land. Here, guests can experience the Fairy Tinker Bell’s Busy Buggies attraction, and help Tinker Bell deliver parcels and packages to four seasonal locations in Pixie Hollow.

On the first floor of Tokyo DisneySea Fantasy Springs Hotel is Fantasy Springs Gifts, a merchandise shop accessible only from within the Park.

Tokyo DisneySea Fantasy Springs Hotel is a Park-integrated Disney hotel, where guests can soak up the atmosphere of the themed port. The hotel is comprised of two buildings: the Fantasy Chateau and the Grand Chateau. The Fantasy Chateau offers “deluxe-type” rooms adorned with motifs of the flora and fauna of Fantasy Springs, while the Grand Chateau offers “luxury-type” rooms which provide guests with the finest accommodation experience at Tokyo Disney Resort. Additionally, the hotel has three dining facilities all facing the Park. At Fantasy Springs Restaurant, guests can dine buffet-style while gazing upon paintings inspired by the Disney Animation films Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Tangled and Sleeping Beauty. Guests can also enjoy Grand Paradis Lounge, a lobby lounge with large, open windows. Furthermore, La Libellule, a restaurant exclusively for guests staying in the Grand Chateau, offers views of Fantasy Springs from the sublime dining hall with French cuisine for a blissful experience only a Disney hotel can offer.
Some interesting details about Never Land Adventure in particular that stuck out to me:
By boarding a boat and wearing goggles, guests will be able to enjoy [Peter Pan’s Never Land Adventure] in 3D. For safety reasons, this attraction has a minimum height requirement (102 cm).
Looks like there will be some reason for Peter Pan's Flight next door to stick around, as it's an all-ages classic dark ride with no height requirement and this new Peter Pan ride will apparently be more thrilling than that (not to mention that it will follow a different, original story).

Last edited:

ParkPeeker

In addition to the above video, the OLC also issued a press release detailing what attractions and facilities Fantasy Springs will bring (with their official names this time):

Some interesting details about Never Land Adventure in particular that stuck out to me:

Looks like there will be some reason for Peter Pan's Flight next door to stick around, as it's an all-ages classic dark ride with no height requirement and this new Peter Pan ride will apparently be more thrilling than that (not to mention that it will follow a different, original story).
That E ticket pan ride is interesting. Cause I’ve read that it uses the brand new ride system that is/was supposed to be used for the quinjet e ticket ride, making you feel like you’re flying. And there have been past speculations/rumors about that ride system being a suspended one, and I remember seeing an official testing video of a suspended ride system. The art for the ride even makes it look like you’re gunna be suspended in some way…

But then you look at the ride vehicle and it looks nothing like the suspension ride system in that one testing video, and it doesn’t look like it would be suspended in any way at all. It just looks like a trackless system or something that’s supposed to be on the ground.

Isn’t the show building huge? It’s perplexing. But I don’t wanna get too excited cause I don’t wanna be let down lol

SweetDuffy101

Huh that's weird, I've seen that model video of the tangled area 2 years ago when it was released, but I just noticed that in addition to Rapunzel in her tower, Flynn and Maximus models are also seen, clearly as part of the outdoor portion of the ride. And it makes me wonder if they're animatronics... or just plain static statues like voyage to the crystal grotto
AA

Timothy_Q

I think they work perfectly next to other classic Fantasyland ride names

Character name + adjective/descriptor + noun

- Snow White's Scary Adventures
- Pinocchio's Daring Journey
- Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom