1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokyo cars spotted near the speedway

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Bacon, Aug 10, 2017.

1. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

I think GM would be (more than) a little upset over that.

2. IamGroot!

IamGroot! Active Member

Probably just getting a repair and touching up the paint

3. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

It would havce been nice to hear the Hong Kong cars were spotted....

4. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

You mean, like the Minnie Vans ? ;)

5. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

I was really hoping this was the case, and the source just had the wrong Asian park. It makes soooooo much sense; it has to happen at some point.

6. AndyS2992

AndyS2992 Well-Known Member

Hong Kong Disneyland's version closed last year which had electric cars so where did they go?

And news to me, Disneyland Paris's cars are hybrids.

7. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Hong Kong cars, but the 101 Dalmatians were spotted...

JimW, EricsBiscuit, JenniferS and 3 others like this.
  8. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Elon will be lucky not to go BK on Tesla. Space X is his baby and it's doing well from what I know. The hyperloop is an old idea and Elon has zero to do with producing one, just an idea he unleashed ahead of a bad earnings report.

Do realize Tesla lost 400 million in the last quarter and burned through over a billion in cash this year. Expected cash burn next year is 2 billion and he just put a junk bond offering for 1.5 billion to finance next year. Tesla is no position to sponsor anything.

I think the real reason Tesla bought out solar city was Elon was dumb enough to have Space X loan solar city something like 800 million and SC was going BK. SC could raise no more money anywhere and was/is losing money hand over fist. Space X couldn't lose that money so Elon had Tesla buy SC to become an "energy company". SC's business model failed and they have sense started winding down their lease program big time, expect that to be gone in a year or two. The business model failed with that. The leases were bundled and sold off to investors to get rid of them for some cash and reduce future losses. Their new solar roof priced out to my house house was $96,000. I think some one at Tesla mistook a roof square as being a sq ft not 100 sq ft. Tesla claims the roof is the price of a normal high end roof???? $96,000???? I could guild my roof for that. Makes a full copper roof look like a cheap roofing options.

Space X is in a very expensive business and they don't have any money for sponsorship's. Why would they any ways? Private company that does things that the normal person doesn't buy. Being a sponsor would be just showing off.

9. Katie G

Katie G Well-Known Member

I thought the article said that the whole roof did not need to be covered in solar tiles, but you only needed a small % of the solar tiles. So it was slightly less expensive than other solar roofs.

10. GeneralKnowledge

GeneralKnowledge Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, the comparison they were making was that the cost was equivalent to a new roof PLUS the cost of the energy produced by the solar tiles over 25 years. I think that technicality slipped by a lot of people.

GlacierGlacier likes this.
  11. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

Actually he announced he has approval to build a hyperloop between Washington DC and New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see construction sooner rather than later.

12. Spike-in-Berlin

Spike-in-Berlin Well-Known Member

I was hoping that the construction of TRON near the present TL Speedway would bring a MAJOR change into this area as well, but we know already that will not happen. At least I am hoping now for major refurb of this outdated, ugly, loud and annoying eyesore that is about as TOMORROW-like as a CRT TV set, a vinyl record and a laser disc. This doesn't sound very good, if new cars are all they are doing with the TLS they can leave it the way it is in the first place, new cars are not enough to save this waste of precious space, not even remotely.

13. Monorail Mike

Monorail Mike Well-Known Member

From the one grainy picture, they look like Bob Gurr's Autopia chassis, so with a little paint (or not) they'll fit right in and most guests will never know. This looks like a prime example of corporate asset re-use. WDW gets Tokyo's cars in the same way that the DHS Lights, Motors Action cars and spare parts were sent to Paris. Someone gets a gold star!
    As for the steering wheels, because guests load/unload from a center island on both the left and the right, the steering wheels placed on the opposite to the side of the center island to make it easier to get in and out. The external pedal and running board, for CMs who stand between the lanes, is on the same side as the steering wheel.

14. Shadowgate

Shadowgate Active Member

I really continue to hope they upgrade these cars to electric. Love the cars but hate the fumes. Plus with Tron ride being partially open and so close it could really detract from the Tron ride.

15. GeneralKnowledge

GeneralKnowledge Well-Known Member

Has anybody done an estimate to figure out how much it would cost them to upgrade to electric cars? It seems to me like it should be a no-brainer upgrade. I think that them not doing it alludes to the fact that they don't plan on keeping the attraction for long.

16. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

well, the change to a second Tron ride is still in the works for this, isn't it?

17. Benjlufc

Benjlufc Active Member

The third one is, they must alternate.

18. MichRX7

MichRX7 Well-Known Member

With all the government funding that Musk receives for Tesla, would they rename the Speedway TTTA? Tomorrowland Taxpayer Transit Authority? Would WDW get government incentives for hybrid vehicles when switching to electric?

19. Monorail_Red_77

Monorail_Red_77 Well-Known Member

yes it depends on which track they are on as to which side the steering wheel is on I believe. So that when you enter the car you do not cross the steering wheel. So the path you walk down to get into each car. The steering wheel should be across the car, not beside the guest path. Right side of a single path wheel is on right and left side of path it is on the left. See in this photo below.

[​IMG]

PorterRedkey likes this.
  20. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Oral approval???? What government gives oral approval?

Good luck getting the city state and feral government to ok that project. In fact the airlines will be first to try and block. The taxi's will hate the idea if the hyperloop actually ends up in the cities. Bus companies etc. etc. Union guys will try to block it. It's just naive to think someone will just build a hyperloop on the east coast.

GlacierGlacier likes this.