1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokyo cars spotted near the speedway

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Bacon, Aug 10, 2017.

1. JimW

JimW Well-Known Member

Don't forget dishwasher detergent...

2. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Okay, you're right, I forgot about the toilets. About a decade ago I went to the Toto Toilet Showroom on the 40th floor of a skyscraper in Shinjuku. I spent an hour there looking over the exhibits, while uniformed hostesses demonstrated the various features and cutting-edge toilet technology and offered tea and cookies. It was HYSTERICAL! America still hasn't caught up when it comes to toilets, and likely never will.

[​IMG]

Although, I have noticed that high-end hotels in Los Angeles and San Francisco now include the, ahem, features of Japanese toilets in their suites. So like the Honda motorbikes in the early 1960's that were a SoCal Craze, and became an everyday American thing by the 1980's, maybe things will finally spread east from California when it comes to that.

Back to Disney, the anti-bumping technology they used in Tokyo Disneyland's Speedway was pretty basic 1990's stuff. A simple radar sensor in the front bumper that triggered whenever you got too close to the car in front of you and it would kill the engine. Bumping problem solved. But it would require occasional maintenance and calibration, which to TDO and TDA means money, so they just don't want to be bothered with the expense even though it creates a better experience for the paying customers. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

More cars have shown up in that spot since the thread was made.

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the blurry photo. Forgot this was even a thing until I had already gone into Space Mountain so I had to get it on the way out.

4. cjkeating

cjkeating Well-Known Member

If these are additional cars... could they be used to keep the ride open whilst cars are taken out to be converted to hybrid or electric?

WDWTank likes this.
  5. Monorail Mike

Monorail Mike Well-Known Member

Why is it that everyone on this thread says the cars are spotted, when clearly they are striped?
    ;)

nbar, pvtim, azox and 14 others like this.
  6. Monorail Mike

Monorail Mike Well-Known Member

We've got our best Muppet working on it...
    [​IMG]

WDWTank and GlacierGlacier like this.
  7. mandstaft

mandstaft Well-Known Member

I think all this would make Tokyo Disney Resort wonderful!

8. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Well-Known Member

They also have automatically parking car garages that lift the car up to a space after you park it, and the same for some bike garages...advanced vending machines that always work and are EVERYWHERE.

Yes, a lot of Japanese people still use fax machines frequently as well, so there's more and less advanced.

9. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

Sure, but also add their newest defense systems to that. Once it's complete, the world won't stand a chance.
    [​IMG]
    Credit: https://twitter.com/ShonanPai/status/898816198363631617

ChrisFL, andysol and WDWTank like this.
  10. Chef Mickey

Chef Mickey Well-Known Member

They are far ahead of America technologically, particularly their transportation system and overall infrastructure. Ever been on a Japanese bullet train?

Amazing country.

WDWTank likes this.
  11. twilight mitsuk

twilight mitsuk Well-Known Member

All we need is a WDW-TDL hyper-loop line.

12. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

I'll get a photo when I can, but the cars are tucked further back and many of them have their wheels taken off. Wonder if they're just being used for parts.

13. gsimpson

gsimpson Well-Known Member

I don't think Tesla should sponsor the speedway, his cars (the model X and the roadster) are both horribly unreliable and even a very minor accident causes the insurance companies to total them because their design does not permit easy repairs. I do agree with the folks that have wanted the vehicles converted to electric, then the exhaust wouldn't be so horrific on days there isn't any breeze. GM would be a good sponsor (GM makes more Volts in a month than Tesla makes cars in a year) but since they already sponsor a ride I doubt they would be interested. Since BMW is starting to get into the electric car game big time in the next couple of years perhaps some nice German craftmanship would be nice. I have to agree with Stewart Varney when he refers to Elon Musk as the W. C. Fields of our time, no matter how many of his predictions he misses he talks people into believing if they just put a few more bucks into his company they'll earn big. He bought SC because of the HUGE taxpayer subsidies they got access to.

14. Biff215

Biff215 Well-Known Member

GM will not allow another automaker to come in there. It's more likely it remains sponsorless, and likely gas too.

GlacierGlacier and lazyboy97o like this.