Tokyo cars spotted near the speedway

EPCOTCenterLover

I've been on the Tokyo Disneyland Speedway several times in the last couple decades. They had a nifty feature to prevent bumping; if you came within a foot or two of the car ahead of you your car would come to a stop. It was impossible to bump the car ahead of you, because bumping is impolite. I hope they bring that feature to WDW's Speedway, which may be why they've shipped the cars over from Tokyo's closed version.
You obviously haven't been to Japan lately. They are quite noticeably behind America when it comes to the middle classes ownership and use of new technology; smartphones, Apps, web-based services, mobile technology, home TV tech, cable and Internet, etc.
Tokyo Disneyland, for example, doesn't have a wait time app. There is no public WiFi available in the Tokyo parks. They don't have any form of electronic Fastpass (MagicBands, Maxpass, etc.), you still just have to pull paper Fastpasses one at a time like it was 2002. Websites are all circa 2006. Cash is king and it's harder to pay with credit cards. Uber (as we know it, it's just a taxi-hailing service in Japan) doesn't exist in Tokyo, you take the subway or your own car to the park. Etc., etc., etc."
I know, right?!? What's the most fascinating, is that there are Americans in 2017 who still think Japanese society is so far advanced than America. It's the exact opposite. The Japanese should congratulate their PR teams from the late 1980's who got that marketing concept going so strongly that it still has legs in 2017. Japan is a lovely country, and their Disneyland beats the snot out of anything we have here (maintenance, cleanliness, service, CM appearance, entertainment).
But when it comes to daily use of technology, especially for the middle classes, they are a decade behind how the average American lives.
I think all this would make Tokyo Disney Resort wonderful!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They do have america beat in toilets and bathtubs- theirs are crazy :). Also home surveillance. Outside of that though, they aren't ahead of America technologically speaking.

They also have automatically parking car garages that lift the car up to a space after you park it, and the same for some bike garages...advanced vending machines that always work and are EVERYWHERE.

Yes, a lot of Japanese people still use fax machines frequently as well, so there's more and less advanced.

trainplane3

They do have america beat in toilets and bathtubs- theirs are crazy :). Also home surveillance. Outside of that though, they aren't ahead of America technologically speaking.
Sure, but also add their newest defense systems to that. Once it's complete, the world won't stand a chance.
DHk8i1zVoAAVLAX.jpg

Credit: https://twitter.com/ShonanPai/status/898816198363631617

Chef Mickey

They are far ahead of America technologically, particularly their transportation system and overall infrastructure. Ever been on a Japanese bullet train?

Amazing country.

rocketraccoon

I'll get a photo when I can, but the cars are tucked further back and many of them have their wheels taken off. Wonder if they're just being used for parts.

gsimpson

I don't think Tesla should sponsor the speedway, his cars (the model X and the roadster) are both horribly unreliable and even a very minor accident causes the insurance companies to total them because their design does not permit easy repairs. I do agree with the folks that have wanted the vehicles converted to electric, then the exhaust wouldn't be so horrific on days there isn't any breeze. GM would be a good sponsor (GM makes more Volts in a month than Tesla makes cars in a year) but since they already sponsor a ride I doubt they would be interested. Since BMW is starting to get into the electric car game big time in the next couple of years perhaps some nice German craftmanship would be nice. I have to agree with Stewart Varney when he refers to Elon Musk as the W. C. Fields of our time, no matter how many of his predictions he misses he talks people into believing if they just put a few more bucks into his company they'll earn big. He bought SC because of the HUGE taxpayer subsidies they got access to.

Biff215

I don't think Tesla should sponsor the speedway, his cars (the model X and the roadster) are both horribly unreliable and even a very minor accident causes the insurance companies to total them because their design does not permit easy repairs. I do agree with the folks that have wanted the vehicles converted to electric, then the exhaust wouldn't be so horrific on days there isn't any breeze. GM would be a good sponsor (GM makes more Volts in a month than Tesla makes cars in a year) but since they already sponsor a ride I doubt they would be interested. Since BMW is starting to get into the electric car game big time in the next couple of years perhaps some nice German craftmanship would be nice. I have to agree with Stewart Varney when he refers to Elon Musk as the W. C. Fields of our time, no matter how many of his predictions he misses he talks people into believing if they just put a few more bucks into his company they'll earn big. He bought SC because of the HUGE taxpayer subsidies they got access to.
GM will not allow another automaker to come in there. It's more likely it remains sponsorless, and likely gas too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom