To tip or not to tip that is the question?

Joy Peace

Original Poster
I have read that one should tip houskeeping everyday for cleaning your room. Do you do this, and if so how much do you tip?:shrug: My husband doesnt see the reason why we should. He thinks it is silly to tip someone for something they are already getting paid for. His words were, "I don't get a tip for doing my job why should they?" He understands why we should tip a waitress because it is part of her pay but housekeeping? It really through him for a loop. I told him it is only $12 for the week we are there. What is your opinion?:shrug:

DisneyJoe

They get paid very little for what they do.

We sometimes tip, and sometimes don't, it depends on how good of a job we feel they are doing - just like wait staff at a restaurant.

Tips may or may not get you little extra magic like towels animals.

Joy Peace

Original Poster
They get paid very little for what they do.

We sometimes tip, and sometimes don't, it depends on how good of a job we feel they are doing - just like wait staff at a restaurant.

Tips may or may not get you little extra magic like towels animals.

Arent they paid by Disney a regular wage like any other person who has a job?

MKCP 1985

to tip. that is the answer. :)

it isn't unreasonable to ask for something in return if you have any special requests . . . an extra packet of coffee perhaps, or maybe extra towels.

as "unmagic" as it may seem, if getting a towel animal is that big a deal, if one doesn't appear after leaving a tip, a note to mousekeeping asking nicely has been known to work.

and if you don't have any special requests or needs, a tip is still the proper thing to do, assuming the room is properly cleaned. :)

Joy Peace

Original Poster
I aggree with you all its my husband that i have to convience. I am sure he'll come around my gosh its only $1-$2 a day and we are only staying for 6 days.

WhatJaneSays

Normally I'll tip the first night of the trip. If I continue depends on a number of things; I do try to get to know the housekeeping staff for our building when we're going to be there more than a day or two. I judge what to tip based on how nice the staff is and if the room is taken care of.

The last night I'll leave a bigger tip and a note of appreciation for picking up after my (slob of a) family.

RiversideBunny

I think it depends, to some degree, on whether you see 'mousekeeping' as a person or as a function.

Last time we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for a week, we left $20.

We had an excellent 'mousekeeper' lady who gave us extra coffee packets and towels when requested.
We would see her frequently when we came back to the room in the middle of the day.

We sort of left it in the middle of our stay to be sure she got it.

It helps if you take an envelope with you and write 'Housekeeping' on it so they know it's for them. Or put a note like that next to it.

It can really help make someone's day.

:king:

"Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. ..... His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him."

DisneyJoe

No. What does Disney pay? And do you know whay the outside company pays them?:shrug:

Looks like Disney starting pay is as low as $7.50 for non-tipped positions.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/33299-anyone-work-walt-disney-world.html

I'm sure some CM's can chime in here.

I'm still researching the outsourcing for Housekeeping, but I am fairly sure they are an outside company.

Maybe not.....http://disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/housekeeping.html
says they get $8.10 per hour.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=276026

This topic comes up a LOT with people on the boards...fights ensue because half think that no one should expect a tip because, just as your husband feels, they don't get tipped for an 8 hour day at the office.

Then there's the individuals who've been: Hairdressers, delivery folks, waitstaff, housekeepers, etc.

Above is a LONG thread with tons of opinions: It's up to you. If you have the funds, I feel it is the kind, fair thing to do. But that's just my opinion - have fun browsing...I think this thread may have gotten locked along the way :wave:

Elonwy

Anyone who cleans up after me deserves a tip...I return I always get little towel animals on my bed and we both leave happy.

That being said I do not tip the local coffee merchants for taking 2 seconds to pour some coffee into a cup and some think I'm stingy for that. I just don't understand what they did to deserve a tip...I was standing right there, you didn't say a word or smile and if it takes less than a minute to perform your job then you don't get a tip in my book.

I have always tipped housekeeping in hotels and on cruise ships and have always gotten little treats, extra towels...I even mentioned in one hotel how much I enjoyed the Lime & Coconut body lotion in the bathroom and she gave me two little bottles and said to take it home because their discontinuing it so it won;t be there when I come back.

Just let your hubby know, you get what you pay for. If he wants a little extra he'll have to dish out a little extra

Tinkerbella16

We usually tip $2 per day, because most of the time it is a different person. We only stay for 6 nights so $12 isn't a big deal. Some people may leave all at the end. But I agree with what someone said...If someone is cleaning up after me, then they deserve a tip.

2 years ago at Pop, we had the same mousekeeping lady during our whole stay. She was the nicest mousekeeping woman I have ever met. We tipped her $20 at the end of our stay. She had an autograph book that she kept on her all the time. Since it was our last day, she asked us to write a little goodbye note to her. I thought that was so cute and nice.

fosse76

You should always tip someone in the service industry. Yes, they already get paid for it, but it's called gratuity for your "gratitude." Especially when you know they don't make much money. I work part-time ushering on Broadway to supplement my income. I make more in the 20 hours of work I do per week at the theater than if I worked 40 hours a week at Disney. So would it really kill your bank account to leave them an extra dollar a day if they do a good job?

MinnieLee

Definitely tip! Mousekeeping is doing you a service and when they see that you care enough about them, most of the time they leave a little something "extra" - like a towel animal on your bed, etc. We always tip daily in the event that there is a change of schedule when we check out and the one that has been doing our room is off. At least we know that the one who took care of us that day has received the tip.

Joy Peace

Original Poster
You should always tip someone in the service industry. Yes, they already get paid for it, but it's called gratuity for your "gratitude." Especially when you know they don't make much money. I work part-time ushering on Broadway to supplement my income. I make more in the 20 hours of work I do per week at the theater than if I worked 40 hours a week at Disney. So would it really kill your bank account to leave them an extra dollar a day if they do a good job?

Once again I said I agree with you all. I believe in tipping if the service is good and it seems they have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Its my husband who thinks it is silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom