to those who always stay off site

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, the cost is perhaps the greatest advantage for us. The saving there allows for other expenses....

But, savings aside, we have the option of not going to the parks one day, and possibly going to another amusement park, or staying and enjoying the facilities at our condo/townhome development. Laundry is another benefit; having a full-sized washer and dryer at our disposal without having to wait for anyone else, or make sure we have the right amount of change.

We also have the option of dining off-site, not that we indulge in that too often, but it's there. We're visiting over the New Year's period, and expect to only stay in the parks a half-day until the 2nd. But we're also avid college football fans, so we don't feel like we'll be missing out on something we do every year regardless.

Now, the caveats: We're AP holders, have AAA so we can usually park in the Diamond spots, and live about 7 hours away from WDW. So when we stay off-site it's with our own transportation. So we have the option of visiting perhaps more often than others.

MKCP 1985

Even though I don't *ALWAYS* stay offsite, I can tell you of a few advantages other than cost savings.

One, if you intend to visit Sea World or Universal parks, at other hotels you can purchase both Disney tickets and the tickets to other parks at those hotels. That can save you precious time at the gate entrances at Universal and Sea World.

Two, there are some really good resort hotels all around the Disney area that offer more spacious rooms, more comfortable beds, and basic hotel amenities such as a newspaper and cable tv channels you can't get at Disney properties.

Those would be my biggest two advantages, other than cost savings.

Nemo14

We always stay off-site when we travel with extended family. This year we're staying for a week in a 6 bedroom 4 bathroom fully furnished home with private pool and free-standing hot tub, washer-dryer, etc. about 10 minutes from WDW for a grand total of $1095. We love having the privacy of our own bedrooms, the ability to cook meals and stock up on snacks and adult beverages, and not swim in "diapered water" (as DH calls it). Also as others have mentioned, it's very convenient for going to other parks, restaurants, and shops in the area.

jlevis

We've only stayed onsite once and that was several years ago at the Hilton in DTD. We drive to the World and we stay in our timeshare, Marriott Grande Vista, not DVC. We enjoy the amenities of our unit and the resort. We have three timeshares with Marriott. We vacation at the World 2-3 times a year using our timeshares and for us the savings are significant and because our timeshares are 2 bedroom we often have our sons stay with us.

bigorangeandy

For us this upcoming trip ( heading down on Saturday) we are staying off-site on hotel points I have been saving for the last 5 years. Our trip for next month we are staying on-site. We could not afford to do both weeks if we were staying on property for both trips. In years past we have stayed off-site for a few days (hotel points again), then moved on-site for the last few days. The staying off-site then on has allowed us to have longer trips for about the same money. The other savings is that we have been able to save buck or two when the hotel has complementary breakfast.

Mrs.Skellington

We normally go with a large crowd (15-20) people, and we rent a huge house or two for the cost of 2 value rooms on Disney. While staying in the houses off site, we bring our lunch ( sandwiches we make at the house) and snacks and water bottles with Koolaid packets to make the water at Disney taste better. :ROFLOL: We also put supper cooking in a slow cooker for it to be ready when we got home.
While it saves you money, I find it so much more magical staying on Disney. There are so many other perks that happen on site such as the dining plan and the Extra Magic Hours. After staying on site once, we will never stay off site again. We love the feel and atmosphere of staying in Disney.

Grumps

For us it boils down to the rooms. Having a separate living room and the kid having her own bedroom is great for letting us unwind while the kid crashes after a day at the park. It helps to give us that relaxing not in the real-world feel to the trip. We have a full kitchen and always stock up at the grocery store and the washer/dryer in the room is great too.

TakeMeThere81

We have always stayed off-site. I would love to stay at Disney, but so far they can't beat the places we are able to find off-site. We use a military-supported timeshare program that offers us 2 bedroom condos with full kitchens and full living spaces for usually around $350 per week! It is tough to beat that, even with free Dining, free transportation(we have to rent a car), etc. It is crazy, but we're fortunate there. The other great advantage...washer/dryer in our rooms! We end up saving quite a bit of $ on food too because we have a full fridge so we always eat either breakfast, lunch or both.

Besides cost savings?? Well I do have to say that I hate driving off property...but I do love passing through the WDW sign a ton during our trip. You do have the option to explore off-site dining(but we've found it has been a disaster), and other theme parks. I know a lot of people love Universal and we have gone to SeaWorld before. All in all, we like to stick with Disney property and soak it up.

I like that staying off property forces us to rent a car though. Getting around on your own time while at Disney is invaluable.

disney4life2008

I normally staff off site all the time unless I can get a good AP rate at Disney. With the exception of cost, you will likely have a car. So you can venture to other places in Orlando. You can experience Orlando and not disney magic 247.

Xethos

I think cost is the only reason anyone stays off property. I like having multiple bedrooms and a kitchen, so untill they drop the prices on their villas ill be off property.

Susan Savia

In the 25+ years visiting WDW we have always stayed offsite. We have our own car and like the convenience of parking at our door, the free fridge and microwave in our room, lots of cable channels and the free internet. Most of our meals are offsite and a trip or two to Publix for sodas is quick and easy. My husband is handicapped and so we we can park closer and we have always had APs so there's been no parking fees. We are able to stay 12 nights for under $600. I've never understood paying hundreds of dollars for a room and then not being in it more then to sleep...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I often stay offsite for a combination of reasons. First, a couple of prfences on our end that make stayin offsit easier. One, we have APs, so no need to be onsite for free parking. Second, we don't like to rely solely on WDW transport, so we always rent a car anyways. Third, we like to keep some stuff in th room for breakfast and snacks, and Hereford to hit Publix.

And, with those things as givens whether we are onsite or off, the four main reasons we stay offsite. Cost, space, kitchen, and laundry. We will generally get a 2-4 bedroom place offsite for between 50-100 dollars a night with a full kitchen, washer and dryer. Being abl to put he kids down while we stay up and watch tv or gt work done, have breakfast in the room or a late night snack, wash clothes without trekkin to the guest laundry, an even swim in a private pool ( when we rent a house) are big pluses. And we use the money we save to do special things that we might not otherwise, and then to come back sooner Han we night otherwise.

ddbowdoin

I was someone who ALWAYS stayed off site, but recently have converted to an on-site guy.

1.) the only advantage is savings, and this is MHO. You save on the cost of lodging, which can be a substantial amounts but to me the difference is worth the cash. Mainly, because given the AAA rate plus the constant 30% off deluxe rates coupons they are shelling out it makes up the gap, and while there is still a savings gap it becomes smaller.

Disadvantages:

1.) paying to park (since I am not an AP holder)
2.) at the end of the day, its Florida... no offense to Floridians but I am from New England and the atmosphere of the South plus the lack of food options makes the week offsite a little harder for me.
3.) the rooms are bigger, but honestly.... I sleep there. I am an early riser / late coming home type of guy and thats my style when I am not on vaca. nevermind when MK is open 8AM to 3AM.

jlevis

I was someone who ALWAYS stayed off site, but recently have converted to an on-site guy.

1.) the only advantage is savings, and this is MHO. You save on the cost of lodging, which can be a substantial amounts but to me the difference is worth the cash. Mainly, because given the AAA rate plus the constant 30% off deluxe rates coupons they are shelling out it makes up the gap, and while there is still a savings gap it becomes smaller.

Disadvantages:

1.) paying to park (since I am not an AP holder)
2.) at the end of the day, its Florida... no offense to Floridians but I am from New England and the atmosphere of the South plus the lack of food options makes the week offsite a little harder for me.
3.) the rooms are bigger, but honestly.... I sleep there. I am an early riser / late coming home type of guy and thats my style when I am not on vaca. nevermind when MK is open 8AM to 3AM.

Everyones milage may vary, but there are other advantages in addition to savings. Our timeshare villa has a full kitchen and laundry facilities in the room. We have access to gas grills right outside the building. We can pack lighter than if we did not have a washer/dryer. We typically eat one or two meals a day at the villa; a nice steak on the grill with a salad? Our resort has extensive activities and four pools.

1) We are AP holders and we drive our own car, no parking fees.
2) Besides what we can prepare in our villa there are many, many excellent restaurants just a short drive away.
3) We enjoy a spacious living area and dining area where we can relax and unwind after a full day. No need to just sleep there, relax on the couch or easy chair and watch a movie with a cold drink from the fridge.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Cost is the most obvious choice for staying offsite.

Other advantages of staying in a villa are -

More space within the house,
Bedrooms not being shared,
Bathrooms for all,
A private pool,
Your own cooking and eating facilities,
Laundry - you can leave it washing / drying while you're away in the parks

SMS55

Other than hotel cost maybe a little gas. Depending on what the value resorts are going for will determine where we stay. If you drive it doesn't matter where you stay. We live in Miami which is 3.5 hours to the south, so we always drive. Whether we stay on site or off, we do go off site to eat at times. I am cheap, so some of the prices at Disney restaurants can be hard to swallow. The wife loves Carrabba's which down here is always full, so we'll go to the one on 192 just west of World Drive. There are some good restaurants on International Drive, this is good if you are taking a day to go to Universal or Sea World. Remember, just because you stay on site doesn't mean you can't go to other theme parks in the area. If you have a car, just hop on I4 and head east. The wife also needs her Starbuck fix from time to time, so we'll venture out to 192 and go east towards Kissimmee. It's right across from Celebration( we've learned to avoid Osceola Pkwy. There isn't one from the Turnpike all the way to Animal Kingdom on Osceola). With kids sometimes you just have to make a run to Target or Wal-Mart. I guess I am used to it, so driving while at Disney is no big deal. On site I like taking the buses. Sometimes I just don't want to drive. I m on vacation, so I will slow down a bit and waiting a few minutes for a bus lets me goof off with my kids.

Disney05

We're going to stay off site for the first time in 2012. Has anyone ever stayed at the All Star Vacation condo's in Reunion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom