To Much To Quickly?

Jon81uk

I think the shops will be busy but less sure on restaurants. But then there are only 2-3 more to open.
I don't think they are competing with the Outlet malls at all. Completely different price point. Some competition with Milennia maybe but indications are Disney are trying to get brands to open their first Orlando store at DS.
Most visitors spend an afternoon at DTD and I think this will continue, there is just more to look at in that afternoon. I'll still spend an afternoon each at Florida Mall and Premium Outlet too. But then I only come over from UK every four to five years.
And I will miss magnetron on the west side :-(

Next Big Thing

I think the shops will be busy but less sure on restaurants. But then there are only 2-3 more to open.
I don't think they are competing with the Outlet malls at all. Completely different price point. Some competition with Milennia maybe but indications are Disney are trying to get brands to open their first Orlando store at DS.
Most visitors spend an afternoon at DTD and I think this will continue, there is just more to look at in that afternoon. I'll still spend an afternoon each at Florida Mall and Premium Outlet too. But then I only come over from UK every four to five years.
All restaurants seemed very busy when I was there last night as I said. I agree about the restaurants and the diversity.

I think DTD is sort of shaping to be a tad like World Showcase in how there's a wide selection of food choices in Asian, Seafood, Steakhouses, Bars, Italian, food of the Americas, etc. World Showcase does fine for itself for the most part and those restaurants are inside a park that you need to pay admission to get into. I didn't see an empty table around us at The Boathouse last night (or in any of the rooms we walked through). I guess we'll see how that changes once the others open, but I really don't think there will be too much of a struggle for these restaurants, The Landing is the heartbeat of Disney Springs imo.

Also, the Gelato place was absolutely MOBBED. It's a tiny, tiny space. The only store I worry about so far is Erwin Pearl, everywhere else was very busy. The recently opened exit from the third floor in the garage is great, easiest and fastest i've ever gotten out.

toolsnspools

Venues like this need to change every decade or so to remain relevant. Especially the restaurants. It's the change that keeps bringing people in. DTD was about 5 years past due for an overhaul, and Hyperion Wharf wasn't going to cut it.

I get to go to a training conference for work every year. This is going to put Orlando higher on my list when I'm choosing a 2017 conference for sure. I'll probably stick with Vegas for 2016, because DS won't be ready yet.

jt04

All restaurants seemed very busy when I was there last night as I said. I agree about the restaurants and the diversity.

I think DTD is sort of shaping to be a tad like World Showcase in how there's a wide selection of food choices in Asian, Seafood, Steakhouses, Bars, Italian, food of the Americas, etc. World Showcase does fine for itself for the most part and those restaurants are inside a park that you need to pay admission to get into. I didn't see an empty table around us at The Boathouse last night (or in any of the rooms we walked through). I guess we'll see how that changes once the others open, but I really don't think there will be too much of a struggle for these restaurants, The Landing is the heartbeat of Disney Springs imo.

Also, the Gelato place was absolutely MOBBED. It's a tiny, tiny space. The only store I worry about so far is Erwin Pearl, everywhere else was very busy. The recently opened exit from the third floor in the garage is great, easiest and fastest i've ever gotten out.

Not suprised in the least as I have always realized the potential of the place if they ever reimagined it sans PI. It will now work as a system rather than the disfunction caused by the previous configuration.

They may need to add more capacity sooner rather than later.

UpAllNight

I wonder what the makeup of guests that visit Downtown Disney is, ie on site resort guests, day visitors, locals etc.

We stayed on International Drive this time and were thinking/hoping there would be a direct bus from the theme parks to Downtown which wasn't the case. thought this was a bit strange, but I guess they've analysed it and think their current system is better and more cost efficient.

I do wonder how many people are put off going due to the non-direct bus though.

Jon81uk

I wonder what the makeup of guests that visit Downtown Disney is, ie on site resort guests, day visitors, locals etc.

We stayed on International Drive this time and were thinking/hoping there would be a direct bus from the theme parks to Downtown which wasn't the case. thought this was a bit strange, but I guess they've analysed it and think their current system is better and more cost efficient.

I do wonder how many people are put off going due to the non-direct bus though.

There are no buses from parks to DTD deliberately.
Downtown Disney has free parking, the theme parks have paid parking. If there was a bus from DTD to the parks some guests would use the free DTD parking and then take the bus for free. Not only is this a loss of revenue, it also would fill the car park so then there is no parking for guests at DownTown Disney. Also you can walk from the Hilton etc to DTD and people in those hotels would use the buses to the park instead of their own hotel buses.

They are deliberately putting people off using the buses who are off-site guests. If you have a car then drive from the parks to DTD.

UpAllNight

Downtown Disney has free parking, the theme parks have paid parking. If there was a bus from DTD to the parks some guests would use the free DTD parking and then take the bus for free. Not only is this a loss of revenue, it also would fill the car park so then there is no parking for guests at DownTown Disney. Also you can walk from the Hilton etc to DTD and people in those hotels would use the buses to the park instead of their own hotel buses.

They are deliberately putting people off using the buses who are off-site guests. If you have a car then drive from the parks to DTD.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

2Fast2Furious1.jpg

Missed opportunity.

Bolt

Being there just last night, i'll say the place was bursting at the seams and was a claustrophobic mess. Every store was packed, people were buying things, enjoying the entertainment, I even saw two separate amphicar rides come back in when we got done eating at The Boathouse at around 9:30. Planet Hollywood had a 40 minute wait last night and all of the other restaurants looked insanely busy.

So yes, I think it actually NEEDS the expansion to roam around, and alternative shopping/dining locations.
Even if it wasn't bursting, wouldn't it be nice to go to DTD and be able to walk into a restaurant without a reservation months in advance!

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Even if it wasn't bursting, wouldn't it be nice to go to DTD and be able to walk into a restaurant without a reservation months in advance!

As often as people on here talk about adding attractions within the parks to soak up people, I can't imagine why anyone would complain or be concerned about adding restaurants and shops to soak up people at Disney Springs. Every inch of space is going to be used.

Next Big Thing

Very possible to do. The Boathouse, Paradiso, Planet Hollywood and Portabello do a good amount of their business based on walkups and still fill up. We wanted to guarantee our spot though the other day and a group of 9 of us called while at MK just 4 hours before and booked a reservation within 5 minutes of calling.

Just because some restaurants (only the incredibly popular ones) need to be booked far in advance doesn't mean most do. I just booked a BOG ressie for next week the other day (i'm a local in case you couldn't tell) and there is plenty available elsewhere. All it takes is actually looking instead of complaining about not being able to get in. Hell, i've been able to walk up and get into Le Cellier within the past few months.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

There are more then 2-3 restaurant still to open. We already know of four, STK, The Hanger, Morimoto and the Edison, and there will be more in the Town Center.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

But the parking issue could easily be fixed using the magic bands.

Jon81uk

There are more then 2-3 restaurant still to open. We already know of four, STK, The Hanger, Morimoto and the Edison, and there will be more in the Town Center.
I was counting Edison and Hanger as Bar/Lounge/Club spaces more than restaurants. So I was thinking STK, Morimito and new one in Springs.

roj2323

The thing with this expansion that puzzles me is Quite a few of these "stores" have a second floor. Will that be for product storage, other retail, restaurants, or office / meeting space?

dstrawn9889

I'll repeat what I wrote long ago. I don't know where all the people are going to come from to support all these new restaurants. Yes, they will be busy during the summer and over the holidays and at spring break. But most of the year are not those peak attendance weeks. And there are a lot of new tables, a whole lot of existing tables and a whole lot of competition that has opened with their own tables along Sand Lake Road, I-Drive and Citywalk.
all weeks are peak weeks now... there is no 'slow' month

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom